Best carseat options for flight with 2 kids

ToothDoc

We are planning a trip to Las Vegas in January to visit family (trip will be approx. 4 1/2 hrs nonstop). This will be our first time flying with the kids and wonder what our best carseat options are.
DS will have just turned 4, and DD will be 2 years 4 months. DS is currently large for his age at 38 lbs and 42 inches. DD is more average, at 27 lbs and 34 inches.
We will have a rental car at our destination, so I was planning on taking 2 carseats on the plane, even though technically DS won't need one (I figured he may be more comfy in one anyway for that long of a flight).
Here are what carseats I currently own:
2 Frontiers (old style) - DS' current seats
1 Britax Blvd (old style, 33 lb rfing) - DD's seat, currently RFing
1 TFP - DD's main seat, currently RFing

I know these are all not the best options for travel, so I'm open to buying 1 or more seats if necessary, but I don't want to spend a ton either. I was planning on replacing DD's blvd at some point since it expires before she'll be booster-ready. I plan to FF DD on the plane for ease of use, but will probably flip her back in the rental car. I had thought about putting DS in a HBB temporarily in the rental car and having him use a seatbelt on the plane, but I'm not sure how mature he would be for this (and Las Vegas drivers scare me enough as it is, lol!)
What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Karen

ADS

ToothDoc

And one more question... what flight times do you think would work best? Morning? Red-eye? Something in between? We'll have about a 2 hour drive from our house to the airport and back. Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You'd know what times work best. If your kids sleep well and hard in the carseats, I'd do a red eye, though that's not very long to sleep. If they need time to unwind before sleep at night, I'd get all of the traveling done in time for dinner and a bath before bed.

As for the carseats, the Boulevard is a pain forward facing on the plane. I'd either rear face it, or not bring it. The True Fit is wide, but not impossible to sit next to. I'd probably buy a Maestro and bring the Boulevard rear facing. Put your DS by the window in the row in front of your DD, so he won't care that he can't recline, and she can be rear facing. Book the window and aisle, since the middle seats are the last to fill, and you may get three seats for two people.

HTH

Wendy

ToothDoc

Thanks for the reply, Wendy! I'll have to look into the Maestro since I'm not familiar with it. Weight and convenience-wise what are some of the best seats to travel with? I know the Radian is good, but a bit pricey since I won't really need them much for every day use. I don't think DS would still fit in the Scenera by the time we travel.

Karen

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hmm, no Scenera? Maestro ($75), Safety 1st Avenue ($90), Safety 1st onSide Air ($99), maybe a Ride Safer Travel Vest for your oldest ($130, doesn't expire). But that'd be less comfortable for sleeping on the plane I've found.

Wendy

Jan06twinmom

We've prefer to fly during the day, even going cross country (CA to FL!). The airport is a very interesting place and stimulating for kids who want to find out what is going on. Once my kids were settled in the plane and it took off, they were pretty good about taking naps especially if mom and dad pretended to fall asleep too;)

We did fly from Texas to California in the evening. I thought I would put my kids in pjs and let them sleep on the plane, but our 2nd flight was delayed and my kids weren't able to fall asleep in the airport with so much going on. DS fell asleep in the flight attendant's arms while DH was installing both car seats (and I had a sleepy DD in my arms).

Melanie

Eclipsepearl

For such a short flight, I wouldn't recommend red eyes. You'll all end up all messed up with your sleep. Overnights work for us but we usually take 10 10 1/2 hour transatlantics so we can get in a decent sleep.

Whatever you do, ignore the tip "fly when they nap". I've seen this go wrong so many times as a Flight Attendant! A small delay can mean a big meltdown. Also, most kids nap when the airports are busy, the time to avoid flying.

Kids are in good moods in the morning. Planes are more likely to be on time too so that's your best bet. As early as reasonable. Will they sleep? Probably. The whole process of getting to the airport, checking in, security, getting to the gate, boarding, etc. usually tires them out and the hum of the flight sends them to slumberland.

They also sleep better if well rested and not over-stimulated with the new experience. Don't mess with their scheduals before leaving!

One last mention; the price. Check to see if a flight at a certain time is cheaper. I once saved over $300 per person by leaving 3 hours earlier, same airline, same route so it pays to check into this. One exception; an evening arrival. You're paying for the hotel room so factor that in!

ToothDoc

Thank you so much for the tips! I'm definitely looking into the cheapest flight times; right now its either Spirit or Delta, with Delta probably being better due to all of Spirit's new bag fees. :thumbsdown:
I had thought about just purchasing two Sceneras and then keeping them as backups or maybe donating them, but with DS already at 38 lbs I'm afraid he'll have outgrown it by January. I guess the Maestro may be my best bet for him and its not too much more than the Scenera.
Is it even possible for me to fly with DS' Frontier (65) and DD's TFP or would that be crazy? Would there be room in the seats next to them so DH and I wouldn't be sqished?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's absolutely possible. The Frontier is FAA approved with the harness, and the TFP is FAA approved as well. They'll spill over slightly into your seat, but not to the point of making your seat unusable, I don't think. Just put the armrests up so they'll fit.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC