Oh Brother!

flick37

So, my brother has my 6 y/o, 36lb niece in a booster (one vehicle is a LBB) :(
Despite being very well educated, he laughed me off when I told him that she should be still in a harnessed seat as she is less than 40lbs. He acts like carseats are my "neurotic thing".
He lives in BC, and I am pretty sure that the law says that they have to be at least 40 lbs to be in a booster...I don't think is mentions age in as a factor. Could someone in the know clarify that for me??

So, I want to send him the links about why to keep your kids in a harnessed seat, as well as the check list to make sure your l/o is ready for a booster. And, I want to send him lists of reasonably priced seats that go harnessed and then to booster.
Any suggestions/links would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No child anywhere in Canada can be in a booster under 40lbs, since there is not a single booster on the market that allows use by a child under 40lbs. However, at age 6 it's possible she's too tall for a lot of the harnessed restraints out there if he didn't know where to look (Nautilus, Frontier..)

Here's where you need to think whether or not you want to push this issue with a 6 year old. Most 6 year olds are mature enough to use a booster properly..and most parents who have little concern for child passenger safety fail to properly utilize harnessed seats (harness too loose, poor installs).. What I would *really* go after here is encouraging getting that child into a HBB for the additional sleep support, despite still being illegal. Chances are she's safer in the booster than in a harnessed seat, if her parents really don't seem to care about correct use.

-Nicole.

catchthewind

No child anywhere in Canada can be in a booster under 40lbs, since there is not a single booster on the market that allows use by a child under 40lbs. However, at age 6 it's possible she's too tall for a lot of the harnessed restraints out there if he didn't know where to look (Nautilus, Frontier..)

I was actually sort of wondering about this myself. My daughter won't be 40 pounds until she's over 5 if she stays on the same growth curve. Not a big deal; with any luck she'll still be in her Radian rf until then anyway, but it did get me wondering because she's not that small. She's around the 50th percentile for weight, so 50% of girls would still be too small for a booster at 5 (which could be a good thing, since most wouldn't be mature enough for one before then anyway!). But, her cousin is 5 already and barely 30 pounds, so she could be 7 or 8 and still not hit 40 pounds. Is an older child under 40 pounds who's mature enough to sit still at more risk than a younger, 40+ pound child in a booster? Doesn't it have to do with maturation of the hip bones too or something like that?

QuassEE

Well, of course I'd rather see a 30lb 7 year old in a booster versus a 40lb 2 year old.. But LEGALLY, that's not an option. It used to actually be possible for a child to outgrow every seat on the market by height before hitting 40lbs. Nice, hey?

-Nicole.

catchthewind

Well, of course I'd rather see a 30lb 7 year old in a booster versus a 40lb 2 year old.. But LEGALLY, that's not an option. It used to actually be possible for a child to outgrow every seat on the market by height before hitting 40lbs. Nice, hey?

-Nicole.

Yeah that's what I sort of figured about the age/weight (though I was thinking more a mature 4 1/2 year old vs a 7 year old). I guess it's a case where the laws can't take every individual into account. I wonder if any cop would even notice if a 7 year old under 40 lbs was in a booster. My niece is tall for her weight; I guess it's good that outgrowing every seat is not really a problem any more. I know at 4 she was size 4 by height, but barely size 2 by weight.

sparkyd

Is the child's weight a factor at all in the ELR engaging when using the seat belt? I'm guessing it's not since the belts also lock when you accelerate quickly, but it's something I've wondered about.

QuassEE

I do wonder if weight could be a factor...Though the belt would still lock at higher speeds, since both weight AND speed are a factor.

As to whether or not seatbelts lock when not in use (tree..forest..sound?)--the first 12-24" of the spool is a dead zone...plus, there would be no spooling.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC