Those who have the Radian carry bag

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In addition, ours ripped after just one or two uses. I was not pleased with the bag at all. I much preferred using two carry straps right on the Radian and carrying it backpack style. Those straps were much more comfortable than the bag's straps (which actually cut me and drew blood). Plus it was faster to deplane. Just uninstalled the seat, fold, and go. I didn't need to pull down the bag and stuff it in there.

Wendy

jeminijad

Oh, great. I considered getting two of the straps and decided on the bag, instead. Wrong choice it would seem!

I don't want to be moved upstairs, but the short version is that I was only able to get a seat for my DD on our returning flight, not departing, so I have to face the possibility of gate checking my Radian :(

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yeah... if I was going to gate check something, I would make it a cheap seat, and then be prepared to pitch it upon return. Do you have a way to get/send someone to the store and buy a Sceneara at your destination... or better yet, buy one in box (that's how mine came from overstock.com, I'm sure other stores are the same,) check it in the box, and use it on the trip and on the return flight.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most Sceneras I see in the store come in a bag, not a box. Otherwise, I completely agree with that.

Wendy

ctbcleveland

Oh, great. I considered getting two of the straps and decided on the bag, instead. Wrong choice it would seem!

I don't want to be moved upstairs, but the short version is that I was only able to get a seat for my DD on our returning flight, not departing, so I have to face the possibility of gate checking my Radian :(

If you keep your Radian folded up, it will fit in the overhead bins too - that way it won't be out of your sight. Probably not on a regional jet, but definitely on a plane that will accomodate a regular wheeled carry-on.

Last edited:

nmb

Not roomy, at all. There is barly enough room for the cat seat.
Yeah, not much room at all. IIRC we were able to fit one of DS's sweaters in the bag with the seat (3T at the time) when we flew with it. Just barely. You would not be able to wrap the whole seat, I'm pretty sure.

In addition, ours ripped after just one or two uses. I was not pleased with the bag at all. I much preferred using two carry straps right on the Radian and carrying it backpack style. Those straps were much more comfortable than the bag's straps (which actually cut me and drew blood). Plus it was faster to deplane. Just uninstalled the seat, fold, and go. I didn't need to pull down the bag and stuff it in there.

Wendy

ITA -- ours ripped the very first time we used it, the strap tore out partially, making it pretty well useless for carrying the seat. Great idea -- but not manufactured for the weight of this seat IMO.
And it WAS kinda a pain trying to get the seat into the bag when getting off the plane....

jeminijad

Its an Embraer regional jet- 2 seats, aisle, 2 seats.

Ok, I will continue to try to puzzle out the best course of action. The carry bag came today anyway, so I can at least see for myself how crappy it is!

ctbcleveland

Its an Embraer regional jet- 2 seats, aisle, 2 seats.

Ok, I will continue to try to puzzle out the best course of action. The carry bag came today anyway, so I can at least see for myself how crappy it is!

Hmm - I have a bag that precisely fits in the embraer 2x1 OH bin. I will try to do some research on the embraer 2x2 to see if the OH bins are the same size. Length should be fine. Width - not so sure. Then, I can measure to see if the radian will fit width-wise, compared to my bag.

However, IIRC, the way they get the extra seat in the 2X2 is to remove the overhead bins from one side of the plane. This makes OH space very precious. You'd need to do everything in your power to get on the plane first and steal some OH bin space.

Do you mind sharing which airline you are flying so I can look up the seat configuration on seat guru?

tl01

The new bag is a bit better. Seems stronger and a little more roomy. We had two of the old bags rip but no problems with the new one.

jeminijad

This bag seems pretty decent- some kind of heavy duty synthetic laminate, with x-box reinforcement panels where the straps attach. Maybe it is the new bag.

I am flying US Airways, serviced by Republic Airlines.

jeminijad

Well. The flight is now sold out, so I have no chance of bringing a seat on board for DD.

The new bag looks quite roomy... I am going to try to pad the seat. If I can get it totally surrounded with a blanket, and bubble wrap on corners/edges, I am going to gate check it.

If not, anyone seen any of those $30 Scenera sales anywhere? I'll check the sale forum, of course.

jeminijad

Latest update: Found an $18 Avenue at KMart. I did drive to 4 stores and waste a gallon or more of gas, but at least I won't have to worry about ruining my 65SL.

So... now I have a Radian carry bag, for no particular reason.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC