Cosco Scenera Rear Facing in Dodge Charger

bookwormcarrie

My mom went to have her Cosco Scenera installed in her Dodge Charger yesterday for my almost 14 month old almost 22 lb boy. The car set tech told her that it could only be installed forward facing in her car. He also said there could be a problem with it in my husband's Pontiac Grand Am. Something about it being dangerous for his legs. Does anyone know more about this? I would like to have her return the car seat and get another one that can be installed rear facing. HELP!

Carrie

ADS

ctbcleveland

Carrie,

The person who helped your mom is probably unaware of extended rear-facing. There is no risk to your son's leg's rear facing (RF). Keep in mind that whatever risk there is to his legs rear-facing would be much less severe than the risk to his head and neck forward facing.

I don't know about installing the scenera in that vehicle. In many cars, the scenera requires pool noodles to get an acceptable RF installation. This can cause a pretty steep recline. I hope another member can chime in on this seat and vehicle.

If we determine it won't work - we will help you find a RF seat that does work!

Maedze

Your mom received dangerous misinformation from an uniformed technician who needs to be reported to SafeKids and retrained, and should not be near parents or caregivers until that happens, unfortunately.

Furthermore, what your mother was told was probably illegal; the Scenera has a 22 lb, 34" minimum to forward face. If your state has a proper use clause (most state child restraints do), and your child is not yet 22 lbs, under 34" (most 14 month olds are), he could not legally face forward in the Scenera.

bookwormcarrie

Can you recommend a different car seat for her to buy? I have a Radian 80 in my car because that's where he spends the most time. He is with them 2 days a week when I work and they tend to do "around town" type errands.

Carrie

ctbcleveland

The Scenera might be fine if you try to install it yourself or get a tech from this site to meet up with you. I am not a tech and find that using LATCH is more comfortable for me to use. I also prefer to install seat with my husband's help. Once we get everything set up, I put my weight in the seat and he uses his strength to tighten. We make a great team :D

There are lots of RF seats that work for a child that age, if you aren't happy the the scenera. Could you tell us what you'd like to spend on Grandma's seat?

bookwormcarrie

I called the State Police Barracks and spoke to an installation person there. I explained the situation and she said that he could be forward facing. The recommendation is 1 year, 20 pounds. Why do I keep finding people who are seemingly ignorant about extended rear facing????? I explained that I want to keep him rear facing and she said that is my choice and that if I bring in the car she can take a look at it.

bookwormcarrie

OK, I talked to my mom and this is what she told me that the officer (who is certified) told her:

Rear facing there's no way to secure it to keep it from rocking without putting something under it. That runs the risk of it moving or his feet getting caught. Front facing it has the top tether to prevent the forward movement. He thought after the age of 1 their soft spots are healed and their heads are stable enough to go front facing. He wouldn't install rear facing. He got 3/4 of the way installed and had to stop. He said it has nothing to do with car seat - has to do with the car and no car seat could be installed safely rear facing.

My mom did say that they could move it to my dad's truck if we can't find a way to make it work, so that makes me feel better. It would be easier for them to have it in the car though. I'd appreciate any more thoughts or advice you have for me.

ctbcleveland

Please share with us your general location (or your mom's) so we can get another tech to help you.

The risk to a young child who forward-faces too early has nothing to do with the strength of his skull. It is his neck and its ability to withstand the pressure of the crash. In a FF seat, the entire body is snug in the seat, except the child's head, so the head flops forward. This link below will explain the type of injury that can result from this accident. This child survived and recovered well, but it is a first hand account of what can happen.

http://www.joelsjourney.org/

It is *possible* this seat doesn't work in this card. But, it is almost impossible that no rear facing seat will work. Also, if the tether is your biggest concern, there are rear-facing seats that can be used with a tether - the Sunshine Kids Radian, most of the Britax lineup, and then there is the True Fit Premier that has an anti-rebound bar.

I am going to hunt around this site to find other references to this vehicle to see what people have had luck with RF.

Thanks for being patient and advocating the safest way to travel for your child. Kudos to grandma and grandpa for being so flexible too.

Most of us would opt in a hearbeat to use an untethered rear-facing seat for a child this age rather than a tethered, forward facing seat.

ctbcleveland

Smileybrea is a tech on this site. Her signature lists that she is using a Safety First Complete Air for her child in a dodge charger.

Maedze

OK, I talked to my mom and this is what she told me that the officer (who is certified) told her:

Rear facing there's no way to secure it to keep it from rocking without putting something under it. That runs the risk of it moving or his feet getting caught. Front facing it has the top tether to prevent the forward movement. He thought after the age of 1 their soft spots are healed and their heads are stable enough to go front facing. He wouldn't install rear facing. He got 3/4 of the way installed and had to stop. He said it has nothing to do with car seat - has to do with the car and no car seat could be installed safely rear facing.

My mom did say that they could move it to my dad's truck if we can't find a way to make it work, so that makes me feel better. It would be easier for them to have it in the car though. I'd appreciate any more thoughts or advice you have for me.

The police officer was WRONG. He does not understand how child restraints work, he doesn't understand how to install them in the car, and he doesn't understand the difference between rear and forward facing. (Soft spots??? He was making stuff up as he talked!)

That person should NOT be doing child restraint installations. He is incompetent at best and could hurt a child. I urge you to report him to his superiors, or at the least call for his ID number and turn him into SafeKids.

bookwormcarrie

I found Kecia who is relatively near me. In fact I think she installed the car seats in my car and my husband's. Now I can't figure out how to get ahold of her or send her a message. Help is appreciated.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I found Kecia who is relatively near me. In fact I think she installed the car seats in my car and my husband's. Now I can't figure out how to get ahold of her or send her a message. Help is appreciated.

You could send Kecia a private message. This link should take you directly to the screen where you can send private messages. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC