86y or RSTV

Please choose

• 86y

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RSTV

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • This option is invalid. Please do not click.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can't vote without more information. Do you have a headrest in the position it would be used in? If not, is the rider short enough to not need a booster? What is the weight of the child? (The 86-Y requires a booster under a certain weight.)

HEVY

There is no headrest. The one I would use it with is not much higher than the seat, maybe an inch or two. The 86y seems the most logical, The kid weighs maybe 70lbs, but my thoughts were to use it with a booster.

Should this be in a more private forum?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So, you'd have to fit a booster in with the 86-Y, then, and the child is very close to the RSTV weight limit. I guess I'd do the 86-Y, assuming a booster that works with it will fit, and remembering the heavy-duty tether anchor requirement starts at, what, 80 lbs. in your vehicle?

HEVY

I don't know the weight requirement for the heavy duty tether, but am curious as to where it would go.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you have a tether anchor installed already, you remove it and replace with the HDTA in most cases. The limit I believe follows the vehicle limit, that's 80 in your car I think?

Pixels

What is the tether weight limit in your vehicle? If the child is under that weight limit, you can use the factory tether. If the child is over that weight limit, you need to put in the HDTA that comes with the 86Y. You can take out the factory tether anchor, drill the hole larger, and install the HDTA in essentially the same location, or you can find a different spot to put it. There's instructions on how to do it with the 86Y. They are also accessible on EZ-On's website.

HEVY

My tether hooks are under the seat. I can not find a weight limit in my car for the top tether hooks or LATCH.
DSC01048.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What's the make?

If you can't do it there, you can follow the directions, as Pixels said, and find another spot, in the floor or the roof.

HEVY

It's a 2000 Windstar, I read the section on carseat installs, LATCH and Tether, a few times over and can't find anything. Anywhere else in the manual it would be?

Pixels

In the LATCH manual. 60 pounds for kids in car seats, 80 pounds when providing upper torso restraint for a vest type restraint. So for the 86Y, 80 pounds.

HEVY

Thanks.

Wow, that means I could have used the Frontier with LATCH? So at 80lbs i have to install the heavy duty Tether hook?

Pixels

Sorry, that was just the top tether anchor weights. I think the lower anchor weights are different, don't have my manual in front of me at the moment.

Yes, at 80 pounds you would need to install the HDTA for the 86Y or for the RSTV.

HEVY

Wait, That means I can't use it for my DD? She is wavering between 58-60lbs. Please don't tell me I have to install this thing, I do not know how and have no idea where to put it, and am NOT ready to put her in booster mode.

She uses a Frontier85.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Instructions on how to pick a spot for installing come with the anchor. You order the anchor from EZ-on.

The LATCH manual does have a section on "what to do if the car seat requires tether use, and the allowed child weight exceeds the manufacturer's limit." Specifically, this comes up with the Regent and Frontier a LOT. So, basically it's a parental decision to continue using the factory-installed tether anchor, if you do it. Be aware that testing showed that the anchor is not likely to fail, and if it did, it would likely fail AFTER it had already done its job, and that in the authors' opinion, the benefit of using over the limit probably outweighs the risk. Also be aware that there is no GUARANTEE of this since Ford only certifies it to be used to 60.

HEVY

Honestly I can't see how it would fail, since it is part of the seat, but anyhoo, I will contact EZ-on for the anchor. But I will take it to Ford because I really don't want to mess it up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC