Radians and Vehicles?

Chely7425

I have been thinking more and more about getting Radians at some point... but I know they don't work well in many vehicles. What 7 passenger vehicles are they pretty easy to install in with a good upright angle? We are considering the sienna (which I have heard isn't so good with Radians) the Grand Caravan, Traverse and Durango. Other 7 passenger vehicles these seats work well iN?

ADS

Chely7425

They install like a dream, and nice and upright, in the newer Caravans. Not sure about the others though. :)

Good to know! This is the vehicle that DH is pulling for IF we get a van. Do they install well in both the cpts chairs and 3rd row bench? We are looking a 2008 or 2009 I think. Do they install well with either LATCH or seat belts?

firemomof3

Yup, the Radians and Caravans go great together :thumbsup: We rented a 2010 T&C (same thing as a Caravan) and the Radian installs were great. I had my 4y/o ff in the 3rd row and my 3y/o rf in the captains seat. Now, the one "issue" is there is only 1 rear tether in the 3rd row which is right behind the one set of latch.
florida2010005.jpg

You can see here where you would have to install a ff seat in the 3rd row.
florida2010026-1.jpg

If your set on a minivan I would recommend you look at the Kia Sedona. Thats what I have and its great for car seats!! Has 2 sets of latch & rear tether in the 3rd row, I can 3 across my 3rd row (unlike the Caravans where its much harder). The van has been just fantastic :)

emandbri

I have a radian in my sienna. The install isn't easy but it is tight but I have the old boot instead of the new one. I have the 8 passenger and right now it is in the middle row outboard but was in the center seat last year. Forward facing isn't a hard install when you recline the seat of the van and bring it up again.

Chely7425

We are definitely looking at the Kia but DH really likes the GC and yeah... I really like them too :D We are most likely only having 3 kids so 3 top tethers is fine for the most part, if we got the GC and could do Radians then all 3 kids could stay RF longer and most likely we would only have 1 or 2 FF at any given point in time. Do the Radians fit RF in the 3rd row of the GC? Or just the 2nd? How are the Radians in the Sedona? We have bigger kids so the only hopes of them RF to 4 are Radians or new seats in the next 6 months...

christineka

I have radians in a sienna. The only places the radians don't work (for me) Are: rfing middle most seat (the 8th seat)
rfing or ffing in the third row, passenger's side with the seatbelt. (It installs great with latch, though.)

Chely7425

If I get Radians I needa vehicle I can put a RF one in the 3rd row... we will have 3 RF seats (an infant and 2 toddlers) so I would like to put the toddlers in the 3rd row and the baby in the 2nd and fold down the other captains chair so it is easy to get everyone in. I am really hoping to find a van that that configuration will work in with Radians so we can keep everyone RF otherwise DS1 will get turned around.

Chely7425

Why not get an 8 passenger and put three across the middle row? It's much easier:)

We might... but we have 3 across right now and it is SUCH a pain in the butt!! The kids fight all the time. The whole reason we are thinking mini van is so we don't have to do a 3 across :D

coleslawcat

I have an 08 Sienna and we got a good RF install in the middle row captain's chairs. I haven't tried it in any other position. I have the new boot and was still able to get a good angle. Over time the angle gets worse, but it's very gradual and I just redo it when it starts to get too reclined for us.

Chely7425

Hmm... something to think about. I do like the Grand Caravans a lot though and can get one in our price range with the options we want and if it does well with Radians that is an extra bonus! I need to look at all of these vehicles in person though, the only one I had seen is the GC.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC