Convertibles for newborns

L

LuciaBella

Hi there, My friend is pregnant with her first and due in Feb. We're trying to find a great convertible for super cheap that will fit a newborn and last a super long time RF. Also an easy install for a friend/grandma's car.

She's interested in the new 40# Scenera that I told her about and is registered for that for a good travel seat.

What are some other great options for newborns that fit them really well? I told her to stand clear of Britax and the CA.

Cheers!

ADS

jjordan

What does "super cheap" mean to your friend?

The new Britax seats have an infant insert so I wouldn't totally write them off as far as fitting newborns. Stay tuned for real-life reviews in the next few months.

Current convertibles that do well with newborns are the First Years Truefit, Graco MyRide, and Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL or XTSL. (If I'm missing any, I'm sure others will fill those in.) For most kids, the Truefit won't last as long rearfacing because it has a 35# RF weight limit (the others I listed are 40-45), although it does have the tallest shell - so a very long-torsoed and/or thin child may last longer RF in the Truefit. The Evenflo Momentum and Triumph 65 are also 40# RF seats but I'm not sure how well they work for newborns.

momma2kda

Hi there, My friend is pregnant with her first and due in Feb. We're trying to find a great convertible for super cheap that will fit a newborn and last a super long time RF. Also an easy install for a friend/grandma's car.

She's interested in the new 40# Scenera that I told her about and is registered for that for a good travel seat.

What are some other great options for newborns that fit them really well? I told her to stand clear of Britax and the CA.

Cheers!

I think that a good "full time" seat would be the TF! I think its so cute how it fits tiny babys!

L

LuciaBella

"Super cheap" means maybe closer to 100 than 200. Money is tight, but I can get some CPST discounts like for the Radian, but I wouldn't say it's a great seat for installing easily in a different car each time. Especially since her sister has a Ford Focus I think.

Will carseatblog do a review on the britax's for newborns? I'd love to see that! If only the true fit went to 40...

Evolily

I'd say the EFTA and MyRide are probably good bets assuming she has a normalish sized infant. The new EFTA's RF to 40 lbs.

I think I saw a scenera with infant padding at walmart the other day?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I hope to have an infant insert soon and will post some photos with the Huggable Images newborn doll as soon as I get it!

The Combi Coccoro is another option to fit newborns.

L

LuciaBella

I think she'll have a normalish maybe on the big size infant. Her husband was a very large baby and she was normal, so who knows.

I'll tell her about the Coccoro too, but it won't last very long. it's an option though, thanks!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yeah, the Coccoro isn't as tall for extended RF, but on the plus side you can get it for about $150 shipped (babyage.com or a diapers.com match).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC