Leaving notes for misuse...

L

LuciaBella

On a walk today and I noticed that my neighbour has a center install of their subaru with LATCH with the snugride. My latch manual says Subaru doesn't allow center install with LATCH. I also noticed that they were using the "B" position for the handle, which also isn't allowed.

I don't know them, but how can I write a nice letter and put it into their mailbox or on their car explaining that I'm a CPST and I noticed that their seat was installed incorrectly. I would love to help them install it right and maybe answer any questions they might have. Should I remain anonymous and put down some resources they can check out?
I just don't want to sound rude or like a know it all because they probably don't know.

Thanks!

ADS

icnee

I talk to people all the time about their seats any whear I go if I see they need help and if they seem friendly.

I will start talking to them about somthing els and then if I feel they wont freak out on me I mention car seats and that I am a Tech most respond well some show me their seats and few tell me me that they know they did it right, when I can clearly see they didnt. the few that have told me they did it right were teen parents, friends and family of mine I dont know if that makes a difference or not.

I would deffinetly befriend them first then they will be more likely to respond to you and come ask you any questions they may have in the future, or they could be know it alls in which case at least you tried, but you wont know until you try,

good luck

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When I leave notes I generally tell people to read the manual. That way it's not me telling them, it's them looking it up. So, "I noticed you're using LATCH in the center. Please check your car manual, as I don't believe that is safe in a Subaru."

I wouldn't say a thing about the handle. If the seat is in the car, likely they moved the handle to get the child out without bonking their head.

Wendy

L

LuciaBella

Thanks guys, I'll try to befriend them first! Wendy, you are probably right about the handle, but when I befriend them to check their seat, I will go over it! hehe

icnee

Have fun.

I just did it for my new niebors that moved across the street. They had a FFing 17mo in a 10 yo seat and a very new 4yo 32lbs and about 36" in a booster that did not fit cause she is so tiny.

The 17mo is now rfing in a titan (She is barly 20lbs if that much all 3 are very tiny)

4yo is harnessed in a chase soon to be rfing in the 40lb Senera Cause she keeps kicking her sister.

And the baby is in a SR32

Dad has all 3 in rock solid

I love seeing kids riding safely now if I can just get Dad to sit more upright,lol.

Any how you will feel so much better kow you did all you can.:)

vonfirmath

BTW, don't leave the note in their mailbox. The USPS gets touchy about people using mailboxes for stuff.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC