DD3 wants this princess seat

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Dorel sticks to the 40" or top of the shell, whichever comes first (although it's pretty obvious which will come first!). Many parents and techs are comfortable disregarding this rule. You'll have to decide whether you are.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Of course, Dorel sticks blindly to a lot of other things-- they also insist all their seats need to be at a full 45 degrees rear-facing, even though they've been used more upright by thousands of parents for years (my Instructor even used a Dorel seat to demonstrate the difference between a 30 and 45 degree angle to our class, lol.)

Reactions: Mae

glockchick

Why are people ok with disregarding this rule? I'd be afraid that a taller child, with a higher center or gravity may cause the seat to over rotate. Is this not a concern?

I really have no basis for my opinion other than just that thought so I'm open to hearing reasons for people's opinions. :)

Mae

Why are people ok with disregarding this rule? I'd be afraid that a taller child, with a higher center or gravity may cause the seat to over rotate. Is this not a concern?

I really have no basis for my opinion other than just that thought so I'm open to hearing reasons for people's opinions. :)

Because in my personal opinion, the 40 inches can be spread out through the different build of children. Some kids may have longer torsos and shorter legs, while other kids may have shorter torsos and longer legs. They're both the same overall height, just built differently. As long as they fit and are not over the weight limit, I have no problem ignoring stated height limits. Height limits are put on car seats and put into the manuals because the manufacturer is required to post it.

jjordan

Of course, Dorel sticks blindly to a lot of other things-- they also insist all their seats need to be at a full 45 degrees rear-facing, even though they've been used more upright by thousands of parents for years (my Instructor even used a Dorel seat to demonstrate the difference between a 30 and 45 degree angle to our class, lol.)

Sorry for the bunny trail, but since it was brought up, I've never fully understood why people seem to think it's fine to disregard their recline angle rule either. Isn't it confusing for parents if CPST's pick and choose when to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and when to disregard them?

icnee

Sorry for the bunny trail, but since it was brought up, I've never fully understood why people seem to think it's fine to disregard their recline angle rule either. Isn't it confusing for parents if CPST's pick and choose when to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and when to disregard them?

I have thought about this too does any one els have any thoughts on it.

Mae

It's been shown that the more upright a child can go, the safer they are. The 45* requirement is simply for newborns who don't have adequate head control, which makes their big heads flop forward and cut off their air supply.

It's always up to the parent whether or not to disregard things like this, but I'm ok with disregarding stated height limits and Dorel's rule regarding that CR's must be installed at 45*.

jjordan

So if you (general you, not directed at any one person) are okay with disregarding Dorel's 45* rule, are you also okay with putting a truefit more upright than 35*? Or a Britax more upright than 30*? Is there a reason to respect First Years or Britax's upper recline angle limit and not Dorel's?

Moreover if more upright = safer, then why even bother with an minimum recline angle, period?

ETA - hope this doesn't come across as combative, I'm really just curious!

featherhead

So if you (general you, not directed at any one person) are okay with disregarding Dorel's 45* rule, are you also okay with putting a truefit more upright than 35*? Or a Britax more upright than 30*? Is there a reason to respect First Years or Britax's upper recline angle limit and not Dorel's?

Moreover if more upright = safer, then why even bother with an minimum recline angle, period?

Good questions, and I'd like to know the answers as well. I know in the Radian manuals there is no minimum recline. It says 45 degrees or greater (measured from horizontal).

icnee

I would like to know too.

icnee

Good questions, and I'd like to know the answers as well. I know in the Radian manuals there is no minimum recline. It says 45 degrees or greater (measured from horizontal).

I dont understand what that means with the RN I have been confused on it since I bought one.:confused:

featherhead

I dont understand what that means with the RN I have been confused on it since I bought one.:confused:

It's because the Radian is the only seat that I know of that measures the angle from horizontal instead of vertical. If they measured from vertical instead they would say 45 degrees or less for an angle.

icnee

It's because the Radian is the only seat that I know of that measures the angle from horizontal instead of vertical. If they measured from vertical instead they would say 45 degrees or less for an angle.

So the what we normally do is as far as we go right.

Last edited:

icnee

It just means anything 45* or more upright is fine. Mine is at (approximately ;)) 27*. :)

Wow i wish mine would do that. I love my seat just not in my van my seats have become very compressed and dont pop all the way back any more.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
From what I understand the minimum recline angle is because of rebound. There needs to be enough ride-down time to not slam the kid straight back into the seat before that energy has been dispelled a little.

I don't tell parents to disregard a rule without thinking; I explain to them what the manual says, what the facts are about what we understand about crash dynamics and why the manual's rule doesn't really make sense as an absolute to me, and let them make an informed choice (referring them to resources if they want to do their own research.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC