Car Seats for RF Bigger Kids?

Chely7425

Ok, I have 2 toddlers. DS1 is 37-ish inches and 33-ish pounds at 27 months old. He hasnt been gaining weight very fast since becoming mobile but you never know. DS2 is 25 pounds and 21 inches as of Dr appt last week, he is 13 months old. Right now DS1 is in a CA and I think that will get him to February when we buy a new vehicle when I think we will turn him FF, given his history he is due for a growth spurt anytime now. If you could buy any seats for these 2 what would you? We are thinkig of buyig a Sienna, Traverse, Durango or Grand Caravan. We also have a new baby who will be 5ish months around vehicle purchase time. So, dream seats?

ADS

Chely7425

I am not super interested in getting a Radian... the install issues they sometimes have plus the head slump issues some kids get FF in them are putting me off. Plus my older son would spaz without a cupholder OR enough room to stick his cup next to him in his seat, which I don't think he could do with a RN.

icnee

What about the new Britax seats, or the new recarro's or new CA's.

My DD can fit a cup next to her in the XTSL.

( sorry if I spelled wrong )

Chely7425

I definitely want to see what the new Britax seats are like... but the shorter shell kinda worries me since DS2 has been on the tall side. IF I got a vehicle that Radian would install easily in would you get one for each toddler? Would the money be worth it for a couple more pounds for a 3 year old? Or would it be better to get a good FF seat like the Frontier?

icnee

If it were me deciding I would feel better keeping both of them rfing as close to four as possible (and older if possible). So if the RN would fit your new van then Yes the extra money would be worth it.

But if you are set on turning your oldest when you get your new van then I would go with the FR.

I would like to see the new Britaxs too I really hope that the shell height is higher.

Chely7425

Hmmm lots to think about :D I guess I need to wait and see what vehicle we end up with and how big the kids are at that point!

icnee

Hmmm lots to think about :D I guess I need to wait and see what vehicle we end up with and how big the kids are at that point!

That sounds like a plan, If I did math right I am guessing you oldest will be around 34mo in feb I would most definatly keep him rfing at that age unless ofcourse there is no seat that he will fit in, but who knows maybe by then w will have more seats that go to 45lbs ( wishfull thinking)

Chely7425

That sounds like a plan, If I did math right I am guessing you oldest will be around 34mo in feb I would most definatly keep him rfing at that age unless ofcourse there is no seat that he will fit in, but who knows maybe by then w will have more seats that go to 45lbs ( wishfull thinking)

For sure... he will be right around 34 months :D Good math skills, took me awhile to figure out if that was right or not!! I definitely need a seat with more leg room than the CA he is in now because he is already a bit grumpy about it. My youngest is in the Scenera with plenty of leg room but he will outgrow it of course. If I buy them both new RF seats I want to get them the same one so they don't argue about it!!

icnee

Weirdo kids I tell ya... glad it isn't just mine!!

Yup, we have the only kids who play wusical seats LOL.

But I bet there are some who play musical seats, or maybe more play wusical, LOL

Im am really tired but not ready for bed.

Chely7425

Yup, we have the only kids who play wusical seats LOL.

But I bet there are some who play musical seats, or maybe more play wusical, LOL

Im am really tired but not ready for bed.

Me too dude.... me too :D Plus being pregnant with 2 toddlers is doing nothing for me!!

icnee

Me too dude.... me too :D Plus being pregnant with 2 toddlers is doing nothing for me!!

I know how you feel my first 2 are 2y9m apart and then 4 kids in 4yrs. It seems like I was pregnant for four years and breast feeding for 9yrs.

Chely7425

I know how you feel my first 2 are 2y9m apart and then 4 kids in 4yrs. It seems like I was pregnant for four years and breast feeding for 9yrs.

I feel your pain dude... my first 2 are 14 months apart, these 2 will be 16 months apart. I was still nursing when I got pregnant both times and yeah... I feel like my body hasn't been just mine in foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeever!

icnee

I feel your pain dude... my first 2 are 14 months apart, these 2 will be 16 months apart. I was still nursing when I got pregnant both times and yeah... I feel like my body hasn't been just mine in foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeever!

Some day my boobs will be mine again, but I am not going to rush it my baby (21m ) is my last, my last 2 are 16m apart.

Chely7425

Some day my boobs will be mine again, but I am not going to rush it my baby (21m ) is my last, my last 2 are 16m apart.

My kids both weaned themselves around 8 months... my body just can't handle being pregnant and nursing :( Number 3 will probably be our last so I hope we can nurse much longer!!!

Wow... I have skills at totally derailing my own threads....

icnee

My kids both weaned themselves around 8 months... my body just can't handle being pregnant and nursing :( Number 3 will probably be our last so I hope we can nurse much longer!!!

Wow... I have skills at totally derailing my own threads....

LOL

Hopefully #3 goes longer, I am still waiting for dd3 and ds2 to wean them selves. dd3 i wish she wanted to stop but the baby i dont.

Chely7425

LOL

Hopefully #3 goes longer, I am still waiting for dd3 and ds2 to wean them selves. dd3 i wish she wanted to stop but the baby i dont.

I was sad when they weaned themselves... but at least they were MUCH happier with the btotle since they weren't getting anything from me anymore, so in some ways it was good, definitely better for them and not being dehydrated!

Jan06twinmom

I am not super interested in getting a Radian... the install issues they sometimes have plus the head slump issues some kids get FF in them are putting me off. Plus my older son would spaz without a cupholder OR enough room to stick his cup next to him in his seat, which I don't think he could do with a RN.

I found that we had more issues with head slump in the Radian when we turned my DS ff at 2 1/2 years old. We have an older seat with a 33lb rf limit. When we turned my DD ff at 4y4m, we didn't have any issues with head slump and I noticed that my DS didn't have issues at that point either. Based on my observations, I think the head slump issue is more about age and neck strength.

My DS does put the cup next to himself in the seat too. He hasn't had a real cupholder for a car seat ever so he doesn't know what he is missing.

You might see what cupholder options are in your new vehicle too. We have a Rav 4 and it has a cupholder in the middle of the back seat which our twins use.

HTH

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC