Are britax seats not safe forward facing?

myztic

I have read in a few places that britax seats didn't do well forward facing in some crash tests in Canada... Can someone give me more info on this....

Were radians also tested? If i was gonna use a carseat forward facing should i be using a radian or a britax?

ADS

doodlebugs25

we were in a bad wreck a few weeks ago and my son and his carseat were t-boned buy a dot truck..it was Gods grace that saved his life but the carseat was not damaged at all and did not even budge and he was ff..dont know about the ratings but i highly recommend them..:)

jjordan

The Britax seats pass all the same tests as other seats sold in the US. The tests you are referring, conducted by Transport Canada, were for research purposes and not intended to compare the performance of different seats.

If you are getting a seat that will only be used when forward-facing, however, it usually makes more sense to get a forward-facing-only seat rather than a convertible. (Both the Britax seats you're referring to and the Radians are convertible seats.)

Jonah Baby

I have read in a few places that britax seats didn't do well forward facing in some crash tests in Canada... Can someone give me more info on this....

Were radians also tested? If i was gonna use a carseat forward facing should i be using a radian or a britax?

My understanding was that the Britax convertibles did not produce very good head excursion numbers when tested forward facing. I believe this was tested without using a top tether, which should ALWAYS be used when forward facing.

Sunshine Kids releases their testing data for things such as head excursion. Their numbers have always been very impressive with or without the use of a top tether (which again, should always be used if available.)

I am not aware of the crash test results besides the head excursion numbers, so forgive me if this is not the answer you needed.
Based on what we know conclusively, the top tether should ALWAYS be used with forward facing seats. One should avoid using a seat forward facing if there is no tether available.
With that said, if you are currently using a Britax, or any other convertible, without a top tether while forward facing, you need to find another way to properly restrain the children riding with you. Many vehicles can have top tethers retrofitted if yours does not have them. If that is not possible and it IS possible to replace the Britax with a Radian, I would.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Britax seats pass all the tests they need to pass. They are not unsafe.

The Transport Canada tests were for research, not certification. In several of the tests, the harnesses ripped out of Marathons. In all but one of those incidents, the dummy still "survived". No recalls were issued in response to those tests.

In the NHTSA testing, the Britax convertibles did not fare especially well. The NHTSA testing measures how seats perform on a test bench with a crash test dummy: it does not *necessarily* translate into real-world results, but it's all we've got.

If you own Britax seats, use them forward-facing and top tethered, knowing they do pass tests. If you are shopping for a forward-facing seat, there are likely better choices than Britax convertibles, both in bang-for-buck and other reasons.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC