Chicco KeyFit or OnBoard (4lb version) for tiniest preemies

autumnlily

Situation - three KeyFits or three OnBoards (fairly confident... need to verify) fit across a 2003 Highlander like a dream. Seriously, first time install was a breeze.

The OnBoard (with 4lb minimum and deluxe base) has an incredibly low harness slot (around 5") and special routing for crotch buckle for newborns. I can see this being the dream preemie seat.

The Chicco KeyFit has low slots of around 7" with infant insert. I've seen great pictures of tiny babies fitting well. But with 2" higher for the bottom slots than the OnBoard I'm thinking I should really push for the OnBoard.

I want to recommend the best preemie seat for a family of triplets (Parents are short - Dad 5'8" stocky build, Mom 5feet and tiny build). Am I over thinking this - will the KeyFit be just fine?

Family is veering towards KeyFit because Snap N Go now accepts is. However, I have found supporting info that the OnBoard is accepted too.

Other issue - they want the seat to last awhile and I know the triplets can grow a lot taller in the OnBoard versus the KeyFit.

What would you do as a consultant to this family?

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Although I absolutely loved my keyfit, I would probably recommend the onboards instead. Lower slots, and the infant insert or head pad probably won't interfere as it sometimes doesn in the keyfit.

mamajava

Senior Community Member
I just bought 2 OnBoards for my friend who is having twins. I am thinking I like this seat better than the Keyfit now because of how the crotch strap can be put in for smaller babies. And the bottom slots are so low, that with the crotch strap put like that and the low slots, it is the perfect preemie seat.

Although we haven't used the seats yet, because the babies are still 8 weeks (hopefully!) away from their due date, I think that I would recommend the OnBoard for smaller babies for now.

swtgi1982

I will have to take a picture of mine later with DD tiny baby doll in it. Yes I did get the harness snug on the tiny doll. I like it very much, I got one due to necessity while I waited for replacement of my broken symphony 65. I like it so much I will be primary seat for 8mon old until he outgrows it. His symphony will be going to use my sister in another vehicle for time being.

autumnlily

I will have to take a picture of mine later with DD tiny baby doll in it. Yes I did get the harness snug on the tiny doll. I like it very much, I got one due to necessity while I waited for replacement of my broken symphony 65. I like it so much I will be primary seat for 8mon old until he outgrows it. His symphony will be going to use my sister in another vehicle for time being.

The OnBoard???

icnee

I would do the On Board.

I hated the insert on the Key fit But once he was big enough to go with out it I loved it, But I was playing with the On Board in Target the other day and I really liked it.

luvsviola

I just had my 15 month old (24.9 pounds) in the Keyfit and the Onboard 35 at BRU to test them out with a bigger baby. He had about 3 inches left above his head in the Onboard 35. He had about 1 inch with the Keyfit--essentially it was about outgrown. I think the Onboard will last longer, too.

autumnlily

I think the OnBoard is going to be a best bet too!

Tomorrow I will contact Baby Trend and find out if they have a 'fit' for the OnBoard seat to be compatible.

I did find a mom who made them compatible Double Snap N Go with OnBoard 35 seats and have been emailing with her.

I'm just nervous to recommend the seat and then the family not have a safe way to carry all three babies (they plan on getting a single and double snap n go). I have also contacted another manufacturer regarding compatibility and they said "no"... I have no way to get my hands on that stroller locally.

SO - if we cannot find a compatible stroller/travel option - would you feel comfortable leaving the recommendation for car seat to just the Chicco?

luvsviola

Are they completely set on a snap and go? Would they consider just a double stroller, knowing they'll need one eventually? While Onboard 35 doesn't snap into my P3, it is plenty safe in there. I bet with a little experimentation, there is a double at BRU that can take 2 of them. They might find a cheap DuoGlider on Craigslist or something.

autumnlily

It's possible to explore other double strollers. We just need another single too. I won't check it off the list of experimentation...

They have one vehicle - 2003 Highlander
Triplets and all the bags (and likely medical equipment) to carry
space is limited and that is why the family is in favoritism for the tiny snap n go frames

BUT, car seat safety is a #1 priority... I'll do a bit more research ;)

luvsviola

I can't imagine trying to get triplets anywhere.

This might be a long shot, and it is expensive, but Peg does make a nice triple stroller. It (obviously) takes Peg buckets. But it might make mom having to take them somewhere by herself a little easier.

Double Decker makes a Triple Stroller that takes Graco SnugRide 32 (and I'm assuming 35s).

autumnlily

Yes, we have checked out the Peg and there is even one for 1/2 the price on Craigslist... however, the stroller is just too heavy for the mom. Her husband described her as 5ft and around 100lbs not pregnant.

I think mom will get used to just putting 2 of them in a stroller and wearing the third (can you imagine :eek:... )

I'm working directly with the President of Double Decker about my wishes for a compatible 4lb seat :love:

Best of all, the family is pausing on their purchase... hopefully we can come up with the perfect seat/stroller/price combo! I really appreciate all of the comments and ideas!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC