Ford windstar carseat freindly years?

Katy

I heard these have rated great in safety. From doing a few searches the newer models have more tethers than most vans. Is there certain years that are better than others, installation wise?

I'm looking at 3. Don't know any details yet on price or possible issues. So put all that aside and lets just focus on carseat installation. Would their be any differnces in 96, 00, 03. I do know that 96 would not have latch and would need retofitted tethers (how many free can I get?) Will I be able to get good seatbelt installs?

I would need to put a RF and FF radian, SS1 (these will stay in place) and a regent once a month. I do give freinds rides occasionally so possibly a TB,GN, Sr22 but not a selling point on these.

Will 00 and 03 both have tether in all 5 positions? Anything differnt about these vans besides the years. I did hear something about a recall on the 03 child anchors.

Anything else I should look at?

ADS

HEVY

I have a 2000 and all seats have tether hooks, even the front two. There are 7.

I just read the rating for my car, +/- a few years and it only rated the frontal crash as acceptable, no ratings for any other positions. I would like to know where you read the ratings.

The site was recently posted, can't remember what thread.

Shanora

I have an '03, and it also have top tethers in all positions and Latch in all positions (although the back seat you can only use the middle, or the outboard positions, not all 3 at the same time since the middle borrows - Which is allowed).

Just and FYI, for requires you hook your tether hook upside down when top tethering.....

Nurslings

I have an 03 with bench second row and my RF radian is too reclined no matter what I try :thumbsdown: My Myrides (x2) fit great tho. Also Britax Frontier 85's in the third row (x2)

April

In the models with captains chairs in the second row the radian is incompatible when installed FF in those spots. (Third row is fine). This doesn't apply to the models with second row bench seats because the buckle stalks are different. I've had an 01 and an 02 and have installed a GN, Radian, Regent and Frontier, all fF. I've installed a KeyFit RF and a Radian RF as well.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
We had an '96. I think it had 4 tether anchors, one of which was on the back of the drivers seat for RF car seats. I much preferred it to the Freestar that we have now.

Katy

Re: Ford windstar carseat friendly years?

Ok so it sounds like they are all awesome for tethers which is the main thing i needed. I like latch but it is not necessary unless I can get a better install on a particular seat. We ride old style so unless I barrow my bro's car we have never had latch.

Sounds like I cannot FF the radian in the captions chairs, no big deal since he'll be in the back. I cannot RF the radian in a bench seat. Which kind of sucks but I can manage. I guess I won't be getting a 2nd row bench like I was hoping for.

So are all car seats ok with tether being hooked upside down? Why is that requirement anyways?

I'll guess I'll end up with the 96 0r 2000 if I can swing the trade. The value on these are higher than I thought compared to some other cars in similar years.

What was the first year with the dual sliding doors? I imagine this would be easier with 2-3 RF kids. Also what year did tether start? I can't believe the 96 has it! I thought they didn't start here till 97 and mandatory after 99

Irishmama

I believe the first year for dual sliding doors was 99. The 98 had the "family entry door" which is an oversized driver's door, not very user friendly, and a lot of people complained that it made it difficult to get out of the car in a parking lot.

I found good info on www.autos.msn.com including reliability info for each model year.

I have a 2000 and love mine, lots of latch and top tether anchors. :thumbsup:

wanderingwoman

Hi everyone,
We are currently seriously considering a 1998 Windstar. My almost 4-year-old daughter is FF in a Britax Boulevard (which I'm guessing she will be out of within the next 6 months or so - any suggestions for our next step up?).

We have been driving a 2002 Mercury Sable, which has LATCH and has been great, so I'm a little nervous about needing to "down grade" into a car without LATCH.

Anyone used a 1998 with a Boulevard?

Thanks so much!

April

Does it have the second row bench seat or captain's chairs? Any other kids in the car and if so what are their ages, weights, and current seats. How much does your daughter weigh and where are her shoulders in relation to the top harness slots of the boulevard?
Posted via Mobile Device

wanderingwoman

The second row is a bench.
No other kids in the car, but we are thinking about trying for another little one in a little less than a year.
My daughter weighs 37 pounds.
The top harness straps are at their max adjustment and are still very slightly above her shoulders.

April

You shouldn't have any problem with the second row bench. (Captains chairs are a whole other story). I'm going to leave it to Judi to make specific seat recomendations, but I will say that the Graco Nautilus, Sunshine Kids Radian, Evenflo Maestro, and Britax Frontier 85 are some to look at. Judi knows better what might puzzle well in the second row bench. (I have a third row bench in my second row). Your daughter will need a new seat as soon as her shoulders go even slightly above the top slots of the BV. What is your budget for a new seat for your daughter?
Posted via Mobile Device

wanderingwoman

Budget doesn't really matter, I'll save up for whatever will work best with the car and what is rated well. We've been very happy with our Britax so I figured that I would get the same, but I have heard that there are seats out there now that are very comparable. Is this true? Are the others you mentioned considered to be good seats? I'll have to look them up. I like the idea of getting her into a booster with a 5-point harness :) I wonder how much longer it'll be until she moves up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC