If your 28-month-old weighs in at 36 lbs, you would...

ADS

jjordan

I'd wait and see how long it takes to max out the MyRide. If it lasts to 3 years old, I'd be okay turning to RF at that point. Otherwise I'd get a seat with a higher RF capacity then.

Jocey'sMommy

my DD only gained about 1-2lbs since she was that age . . . . is you little one very tall also??? You will prob get more use out of the seat that you expect. It might be a good idea to keep that idea in the back of your head until the seat is closer to being outgrown

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My third weighed 37.5 lbs. at 23 months. 3 months later, guess what she weighs? 37 lbs.

Growth slows down DRAMATICALLY and so does weight gain for most kids once they turn 2. I'd put money aside in case a higher-weight RF seat is needed (or he has a torso spurt and starts to outgrow the MR by height too fast) but for now I'd wait and see, not buy yet. If it's needed, you'll have the money saved. Or if you just decide in the end you want it, you'll have time to look for a good deal. If not, you have the money for something else. :)

My personal preferance is not to turn my kids until 4 if I can possibly avoid it. But if he was, say, 3 years 9 months when he maxed it out? I'd probably not buy a new seat at that point if I needed the money for something else.

Evolily

I'd put money aside for the radian, but I would continue to use the my ride until she gets closer to like 38-39 pounds without worrying much.

My guess is she'll make it to her 3rd b-day before passing the 40 lb threshold.

babyherder

start setting aside money for the 80sl and see how long it takes her to get to about 38lbs.

Last edited:

amyd

How's she doing height-wise in the MR? Will she need another harnessed seat before a booster? Most kids can go from a Radian to a booster just fine. I believe the MR has lower slots. I might consider selling the MR & buying a Radian now since the longer you wait, the less you'll get for it & then you'd be set for several years.

April

Wait and see. A year ago, at 35 months, DS2 weighed 40lbs. Today he weighs 43.1. So you could very well get another year out of it, and at 3.5, I'd be fine turning FF.

I will say though that I personally prefer the Radian as a FF seat over the MyRide. So I might put aside $15 a month and then sell the MyRide to fund the rest of either a Radian, or a Nautilus or FR.

Mommy0608

I'd see how long it takes to max out the MR, and decide at that point.

For me personally, I've decided that DS will max out his current seats RF. If he's under 3 when that happens, he'll get a new seat to stay RF longer. If he has reached his 3rd birthday before he maxes it out, he'll go FF when he outgrows it.

icnee

I would sell the MR and get the 80sl then that way you wont be worried about having to turn her ffing while waiting for the 80sl if she did have a rappid groth spurt she probably wont ut at least you will feel more relaxed.

My DD2 is is 4y 8mo and has been back and forth from 39 -41 pounds since she was 3 but she has streched out mostly legs.

My DD# is 3y3m and at 2 she was 27lbs now she is 30, so kids do slow down alot.

I also prefer to keep kids rfing as close to 4 as possible and even longer if possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC