Would you let you son ride in the front seat?

sholoulou

My husband has a Ford truck. It has doors with "half" doors in the back. Seating is enough room but it can still be tight. You can turn the airbag off on the passenger side he would ride on. My husband often lets my 6 1/2 yr old son ride in the front seat in his booster. Do you think this is safe?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's not horrible, but I personally would not allow it unless there was a good reason (like younger kids in all rear seating positions, or booster cannot be used in back).

Calleiah

When you say it has the half doors, are we talking about the version with the flip out side facing seats? Or does it actually have a bench seat in back?

sholoulou

Ok. I have been telling him I did not think it was safe. He seems to think if you turn the airbag off then it is just as safe as the back seat.

JerseyGirl'sMama

When you say it has the half doors, are we talking about the version with the flip out side facing seats? Or does it actually have a bench seat in back?

That is what I am wondering too. If it has the little jump seats,then he should be up front with the airbag turned off. And if the back has lap belts only, then he must ride up front with a lap/shoulder belt.

sholoulou

It has a bench seat in the back. It just does not have 4 full size doors. It has 2 full size doors and 2 "half" doors that open up towards the front of the truck.

monstah

That is what I am wondering too. If it has the little jump seats,then he should be up front with the airbag turned off. And if the back has lap belts only, then he must ride up front with a lap/shoulder belt.

Same here...
If there are jump seats, he should be in the front. Lap only belts? Front. But a regular seat with a lap & shoulder belt? Having a tight fit isn't enough to let my DS ride in the front seat.

ETA: I am seriously slow at hitting submit. :eek:

Calleiah

If the bench seat in back is equipped with shoulder belts, he should be riding in back. What kind of booster is your son riding in and is it a high back?

sholoulou

Ok, thanks. He has a monterey booster he rides in. I did not think it was the safest option but was not sure if I was correct or just overly caution.

Adventuredad

Just talked briefly a bit about this in another thread here, http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=135441

The front seat is an excellent place for a child but airbag MUST be deactivated or turned off. Front seat is just as safe, or safer, than the rear seat which apply to both rear facing and forward facing children. Again, there can not be an active airbag in the front seat.

This has long ago been proven by research and real life use and is never debated among car seat safety pros. The US stats show rear seat being safer which is no surprise since airbags can't be turned off (in most cars) and kids below 55 inches should never sit up front with an active airbag.

Summary, your 6.5 year old child is just as safe in front seat as in the rear as long as airbag is deactivated.

Pixels

AD, US studies show that the back seat is safer for kids, even when there is no airbag. You're right, it's not debated among car seat safety pros. It's 30-35% safer in back.

mykidsmylife

I let Johnathon ride in the front of my FIL truck even though there is a full back seat. I am 100% okay with it. Also I put a rear-facing convertible in the front with airbag switched off, if I cannot tether it in the back.

That is a choice you have to make. I personally would allow it.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Nope, particularly not if there's a middle back seat position available in the vehicle that's capable of a proper installation because it's farther away from possible side impacts compared to a front passenger seat. :twocents: I realize the vehicle the OP is discussing has a lap-only belt in the center rear position, but I'd still do an outboard rear installation in that specific situation. Vehicles in the U.S. have warnings/disclaimers against using the front seat for children under 12 for a reason and a more recent study indicated a risk for kids in the front until age 15.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC