Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Would you let you son ride in the front seat?

My husband has a Ford truck. It has doors with "half" doors in the back. Seating is enough room but it can still be tight. You can turn the airbag off on the passenger side he would ride on. My husband often lets my 6 1/2 yr old son ride in the front seat in his booster. Do you think this is safe?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: Would you let you son ride in the front seat?

It's not horrible, but I personally would not allow it unless there was a good reason (like younger kids in all rear seating positions, or booster cannot be used in back).
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

When you say it has the half doors, are we talking about the version with the flip out side facing seats? Or does it actually have a bench seat in back?
    Former CPST and momma to 4
    Katie, Mia, Liam, & Kian
    all riding safe in our '14 Nissan NV "TARDIS"

Carseat Crazy

Ok. I have been telling him I did not think it was safe. He seems to think if you turn the airbag off then it is just as safe as the back seat.

CPS Technician JerseyGirl'sMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calleiah View Post
    When you say it has the half doors, are we talking about the version with the flip out side facing seats? Or does it actually have a bench seat in back?
    That is what I am wondering too. If it has the little jump seats,then he should be up front with the airbag turned off. And if the back has lap belts only, then he must ride up front with a lap/shoulder belt.
    DD 5.5yrs, FF in a Recaro ProSPORT
    DS 2.75yrs, RF in a Peg Primo Viaggio

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.

Carseat Crazy

It has a bench seat in the back. It just does not have 4 full size doors. It has 2 full size doors and 2 "half" doors that open up towards the front of the truck.

Carseat Crazy

The back has 2 lap/shoulder belts and the middle seat has a lap belt only

CPS Technician JerseyGirl'sMama's Avatar

Well then he should ride in the back provided he has head support (either from a high back booster or the vehicle seat.)
    DD 5.5yrs, FF in a Recaro ProSPORT
    DS 2.75yrs, RF in a Peg Primo Viaggio

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl'sMama View Post
    That is what I am wondering too. If it has the little jump seats,then he should be up front with the airbag turned off. And if the back has lap belts only, then he must ride up front with a lap/shoulder belt.
    Same here...
    If there are jump seats, he should be in the front. Lap only belts? Front. But a regular seat with a lap & shoulder belt? Having a tight fit isn't enough to let my DS ride in the front seat.

ETA: I am seriously slow at hitting submit.

If the bench seat in back is equipped with shoulder belts, he should be riding in back. What kind of booster is your son riding in and is it a high back?
    Former CPST and momma to 4
    Katie, Mia, Liam, & Kian
    all riding safe in our '14 Nissan NV "TARDIS"

Carseat Crazy

Ok, thanks. He has a monterey booster he rides in. I did not think it was the safest option but was not sure if I was correct or just overly caution.

Senior Community Member Adventuredad's Avatar

Just talked briefly a bit about this in another thread here, http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=135441

The front seat is an excellent place for a child but airbag MUST be deactivated or turned off. Front seat is just as safe, or safer, than the rear seat which apply to both rear facing and forward facing children. Again, there can not be an active airbag in the front seat.

This has long ago been proven by research and real life use and is never debated among car seat safety pros. The US stats show rear seat being safer which is no surprise since airbags can't be turned off (in most cars) and kids below 55 inches should never sit up front with an active airbag.

Summary, your 6.5 year old child is just as safe in front seat as in the rear as long as airbag is deactivated.
    Annika: 8 • Britax Adventure
    Daniel: 11 • Britax Adventure
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

AD, US studies show that the back seat is safer for kids, even when there is no airbag. You're right, it's not debated among car seat safety pros. It's 30-35% safer in back.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

15. Thank You from:

CPS Technician

I let Johnathon ride in the front of my FIL truck even though there is a full back seat. I am 100% okay with it. Also I put a rear-facing convertible in the front with airbag switched off, if I cannot tether it in the back.

That is a choice you have to make. I personally would allow it.

Johnathon 10yrs, 76 lbs, 5-steps
    Seth, 6yrs, 43lbs in Clek Oobr
    River, 4yrs, 38lbs in FR85 and Clek Foonf

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Nope, particularly not if there's a middle back seat position available in the vehicle that's capable of a proper installation because it's farther away from possible side impacts compared to a front passenger seat. I realize the vehicle the OP is discussing has a lap-only belt in the center rear position, but I'd still do an outboard rear installation in that specific situation. Vehicles in the U.S. have warnings/disclaimers against using the front seat for children under 12 for a reason and a more recent study indicated a risk for kids in the front until age 15.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar