Compass B570, first look.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
LATCH (or eeew, I should have vacuumed when I had the boosters out!)

It nestles *very* nicely in my contoured backseat, though, so it doesn't feel this loose.

Last edited:
ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Based on the recent Cybex recall I wonder if the recommendation will still be to always buckle the booster with seatbelt when it's unoccupied? If that's the case, then the LATCH attachments are relatively pointless, IMO. Does the manual address this issue?

Page 11, in a yellow box:

! WARNING !
Secure this Booster Seat with the vehicle seat belt at all times (even when there is no child in it). An unsecured child restraint can injure someone if a crash occurs.

Jan06twinmom

(Chickabiddy) Thank you so much for posting these pictures.

I went to USA baby today to try DS in the Monterey and they didn't have one in stock. So we tried this booster instead. It seemed to fit him pretty well. Marcus liked it better than the Britax Parkway SG and I definitely think it gave him more space. He's slightly smaller than your DD - 48in tall and 58lbs - but he's only 5.5 years old. I need a seat that will work even as he gets bigger.

I'm trying to interpret the pictures of the seat depth distance. Is the Monterey slightly longer?

Since you are familiar with both seats, which one do you think would work better? Is your DD expressing a preference in terms of how comfortable the seats are?

Melanie

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Monterey is slightly longer. My daughter prefers the Compass, but that may be because it's new and different -- she can't really articulate WHY she prefers it.

20" is not super-tall for a belt guide. I'm okay with it for an 8.5yo who is 50" -- if she outgrows it in two years I'd be fine putting her in a backless. A 5.5yo who is 48" would be a trickier call for me. Granted, I'm fairly conservative about when backless is "okay", but I am not sure this booster would get him to an age where I'd be comfortable with a backless booster.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecia
Based on the recent Cybex recall I wonder if the recommendation will still be to always buckle the booster with seatbelt when it's unoccupied? If that's the case, then the LATCH attachments are relatively pointless, IMO. Does the manual address this issue?
Page 11, in a yellow box:

Quote:
! WARNING !
Secure this Booster Seat with the vehicle seat belt at all times (even when there is no child in it). An unsecured child restraint can injure someone if a crash occurs.>>

You know, I've been pondering this, I wonder if it's just a blank rule that FMVSS requires, regardless of whether or not a booster has LATCH? Kind of like even the airbag-safe infant seat still needed the 'never use in front of an airbag' warning, just because all RF seats require it?

Anyway, just pondering out loud. I still want this, your review was so good. But waiting on cuter covers :rolleyes:

luckyclov

From the pictures, I think I like it. Your DD is 50", right? Can I ask how much she weighs? The lapbelt fit looks good on her.

My DS1 is 8.5 years old, 50.25" and 67-ish lbs. He's snug (but comfortable) in his PWSG (fits GREAT in his Monterey, but it doesn't work well in my 3rd row), so I'm always open to trying new boosters.

Would you mind measuring the back of the "base" (where it would push up against the vehicle seat back/bight)?:)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
At the time the pictures were taken, she was 50" and 62#. She's now 51" and 66# and still fits quite nicely. It lives in my husband's car and I'll try to measure it when he gets home tonight.

luckyclov

Ooooooh, this was from last year. Suddenly it all makes sense why it was so hot outside and why she was taller/heavier. Duh.:rolleyes:

OK, thanks - I'm still interested in the measurement, when you get time!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
FWIW, after almost a year, it's still her favorite booster of all that we've owned. The cover has held up okay -- there's one big snag and I don't know what happened, but knowing my daughter, I suspect it was kid stuff and not a defect.

We'll be moving it into my car soon since I'm willing to let her go backless in the secondary vehicle now that she's had a birthday (I don't like the Monterey in husband's car).

Kat_Momof3

thank you... I remember when I was thinking a compass booster would be good for Ruthie in the Cobalt... and was discouraged by those here... now that I see it compared to the Monterey, I see how wide the shoulder guides are... so I think I would have had the same issue we had with the FPSVD...

HOWEVER... I can now see just how nice and flat, yet angled, much like the Big Kid's... where it is still indeed a good choice for vehicles where the shoulderbelt comes from the vehicle seat.

20" top position isn't bad... that's the same as the Vivo.

CYBEX USA-2

I liked everything about this new booster when I saw it a LS (and I'm also a fan of the B540 as long as it positions the lap belt portion properly on your child) but I don't consider the B570 to be a true "LATCHable booster".

Just to clarify.
The point of LATCH attachments on boosters isn't always to simply restrain the said booster when unoccupied. The LATCH connectors stabilize the seat in a collision, especially side-impact, and help to reduce the forces therein. Also, with the Solution X-fix, an anti-submarine feature is built into the Rigid LATCH system itself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC