My local Safe Kids Coalition GRRR

hrice

Our local SK does not have a program that helps families that cannot afford seats (only pg moms who go through some program and then get an infant seat). They also do not do seat checks unless you pay $25 per car. I asked if they had/knew of any resources to help families in ned and they said no.

So frustrating! I have 2 friends that really need help!

Anyway I was really frustrated and just wanted to vent.

BTW
I gave a Scenera to one but I do not have any other seats to help them. One of my friends is on public assistance so I will probably have her apply to KDMF but I know the wait is long and prospect slim. My other friend I am not close enough to so I do not know if she recieves any aid. That is a new requirement of KDMF.

ADS

hrice

Oh and I also asked if there was anywhere in the city that someone could get a check done for free and she said "not that I'm aware of!" I know there is a tech at the police station down the street from me but I just wanted to see how NON HELPFUL they really were! Totally sucks!:thumbsdown:

BrendansMommy

Where in Texas are you? I'm in College Station. There are a bunch of techs here in town and a fitting station that will issue replacement seats. We are also having a huge check in Sept where we will give away seats as appropriate.

hrice

Where in Texas are you? I'm in College Station. There are a bunch of techs here in town and a fitting station that will issue replacement seats. We are also having a huge check in Sept where we will give away seats as appropriate.

San Antonio

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It is a sad state of affairs with Safe Kids. Their two largest supporters, UAW and GM have essentially cut most of their funding. There have been layoffs and cuts in grants to state and local coalitions. Our local chapter used to get various grant opportunities, now there are basically zero available. Any kind of free or discounted seat program in a local chapter or coaliation would probably require large support from a local charity, hospital or health organization. Some do provide this, but many do not.

Keep in mind that while there may not be free seats available to low income families, there are often free events where they will replace an unsafe seat for free. The supply of these is limited, but there are usually some at each event to swap with broken, recalled or expired seats. Events seem to be fewer and far between these days in our area, but there are usually some each weekend in a major metropolitan area.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree -- but I also have to get on a soapbox and get irritated that people expect there to be free seats. We don't expect other things to be free. A Scenera or a Turbobooster is under $50. I really, truly do understand about tight budgets. But I don't understand expecting free seats.

christineka

I agree -- but I also have to get on a soapbox and get irritated that people expect there to be free seats. We don't expect other things to be free. A Scenera or a Turbobooster is under $50. I really, truly do understand about tight budgets. But I don't understand expecting free seats.

I think it comes from the belief that car seats aren't important. Back when we had little money, we found ways to purchase new, though low cost, car seats. I completely understand being broke, but there are usually ways to come up with the necessary funds for a car seat if one truley believes it to be a necessity.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I know, and that's part of what irritates me.

I work with a coalition that gives/replaces seats. I'm not entirely opposed to doing that. I am (perhaps unreasonably) irritated with the idea that carseats should be free for the asking.

hrice

I am more irritated at their complete lack of information. I know there are techs in San Antonio and she should have at least been able to direct me to a website to search.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

Our county, with federal support, pumped a ton of money into getting and administering the swine flu vaccine as part of various clinics. I don't know what a dose cost back then, but I bet it was on par with the cost of a budget combo or convertible, like the $40 Cosco models we buy for our events. This was done to ward off a possible epidemic, and perhaps it was the reason the epidemic never materialized.

As for the proven epidemic with a long history as the #1 killer of kids, local, state and federal governments provide almost zero local support. Our affluent county even dumped the Safe Kids program a number of years ago due to being unable to provide for a half-time paid coordinator.

It never ceases to amaze me how many millions of dollars get pumped in to some very worthwhile charities and causes, many of which combined don't account for the number of serious injuries and deaths taken by traffic crashes. Plus, we aren't asking for research to find a cure, we have a proven vaccine but we just need support for education and distribution.

Soapbox off!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC