side facing carseat??

rjordon

hi! my mother in law went crazy buying baby stuff when we found out i was pregnant and one of the things she bought was a carseat. it was used and i think she got it at a resell shop but is in good condition and clean. i have never seen one like this and according to the safety stickers it is side facing car seat. i have never even heard of side facing car seat and am having a hard time finding any info on them. so i was wondering if anybody knew anything about them. im sure they no longer legal or are they?

ADS

daycaremom2002

Is there any way you could post a picture? There was a seat that turned on the base, but I have never heard of one that was described as a side facing seat. I'm sure that a picture would be quickly identified here.

Seats that are used should not be used though. There is no way to know the history of the seat. It may be crashed, it may have been recalled, and it could be missing vital parts that you don't know are missing. Also, a seat is usually good for 6 years from the date of manufacture. (There are a few that go longer, but most are 6 years)

christineka

Aren't car beds side facing? Those have a limited amount of use, so likely that they'd end up at a resale shop. I've seen one at my thrift store back when they accepted car seats.

Evolily

The only thing I can think it is is a car bed, which is a special needs car seat used by severely premature infants and infants with severe medical problems. Either that, or it's an antique :) .

You will need a new seat, though. It's not safe to buy car seats with an unknown history, and a typical infant needs to be rear facing, not side facing.

cookie123

Post a picture. We would all like to see that. Very interesting.

On buying a used seat - Like the others said - not a great idea. It may not have instructions, it may have missing parts, misrouted harness, it could have already been in an accident. Car seats are one time use - if they're in an accident you need to replace it. The harness may have been improperly washed. Too big a risk when you want to protect your most prized possession. It could have recalls on it or be expired. You can check on those.
New seats have up to date safety and convenience features. Some old seats can look really great, but if you can't be positive about it's history, it's not worth the risk.

If you're interested, let us know your budget. We can recommend a seat. Have you considered starting with a convertible seat instead of an infant bucket? That's a viable option, especially if you're on a strict budget.

rjordon

thank you all very much for the replys!! i think it must be a car bed. like i said i have never seen anything like it. i wasnt even aware there was such a thing as a car bed. i had no intention of using it but am having a yard sale tomorrow to get rid of things we no longer need or have outgrown and was worried about putting that in the yard sale. thank you again!

Evolily

I wouldn't sell it. If you knew the history of the seat it'd be fine, but without knowing I wouldn't :) . You may be able to find a car seat recycling program that will recycle it for you, though :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Besides American car beds, there are also European carrycots that are side-facing. They are used by many parents there, not just parents of preemies (though I would never personally use one in the car! The crash test videos are rather horrifying.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC