Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Carseat Crazy

1 YR old survived frontal on road w/speedlimit 55 mph

The one year old sat in a rear-facing car seat in the front passenger seat. The airbag was turned off - an active airbag can be lethal so a child should NEVER sit in front of an active airbag. In Sweden it is very common to turn off the airbag and have the child RFing in the front seat, this is not the case in the US(I have not started this thread to recommend anyone to put their child in the front seat but to show what amazing forces an RF car seat can take). The car the child was in collided with a bus! The one year old was practically unharmed. Tragically a 10 year old sister was severed injured and their parents and a 5 year old sister got killed

Edit: New article in English on carseat.se

Helena over at rear-facing.co.uk has translated the Swedish article into English, it focuses largely on the fact that the little girls life was saved because she sat RF. When one visit the Swedish link and looks at the car it is hard to understand that it was possible for two people to survive.

My thoughts and prayers goes to the family.
    Last edited by *HH*; 08-01-2010 at 04:36 PM.

DS 9YR FF in a high back booster seat(ERFing until he was 6YR), DD 4YR ERF in a Axkid Kidzofix.

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 1 YR old survived frontal on road w/speedlimit 55 mph

Wow!
    DD Jan 2005
    RF to 3 1/2 years; Harnessed to 7 1/2 years; Now Boostered

That is amazing. So sad for the rest of the family though.
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

Here's a corrected, direct link to the forum page with the translation:

http://rearfacing.phpbb24.com/board/...rash-t772.html
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

7. Thank You from:

What a tragic, heartbreaking story...but it speaks loud and clear about the importance and effectiveness of RF.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

Thanks for the fixing the link Qarin. I found this interesting (bolding is mine)
    Most small children are rear facing but by 3 years old 50% of children in Sweden are FF.
    Shocked me a little to see that half of kids in Sweden are FF by 3. I've always had it in my head that the earliest kids were flipped there was age 4.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

LOOKIT THE CAR!

*insert queasy smiley*
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Qarin View Post
    Here's a corrected, direct link to the forum page with the translation:

http://rearfacing.phpbb24.com/board/...rash-t772.html
    Sorry, I thought I pasted the correct link. I have changed the link in the main message now.

DS 9YR FF in a high back booster seat(ERFing until he was 6YR), DD 4YR ERF in a Axkid Kidzofix.

Wow! And I like that it proves rfing in the front with no air bag is not totally unsafe. (As many like to tell me that it is horribly unsafe to put any rear-facing car seat in the front even if there is no air bag.)
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Carseat Crazy

In Sweden they often recommend RF in the front seat with the airbag turned of, one get's a better view of the child and it gives more room for the child's leg so they can sit RFing longer. They also say that the different in the safety percentage isn't varying all that much as long as the kid is RFing, that is the most important thing. A frontal with a bus, I don't think anything could have persuaded me more about the safety in the front seat for a RFing passenger.

Senior Community Member Adventuredad's Avatar

Tragic accident, there has been massive media attention all over the country since it's so rare for a 5-year old to die in a car accident in Sweden.

Doing a write up tonight about the story on carseat.se. The little girl was sitting RF in the front seat with turned off airbag. Someone above mentioned "Wow! And I like that it proves rfing in the front with no air bag is not totally unsafe."

The front seat is just as safe as the rear seat for children as long as airbag is turned off. When we look at all the factors front seat is actually safer than rear seat which is not what most believe. A large percentage of Swedes keep their your children RF in front seat with deactivated airbag:-)
    Annika: 8 • Britax Adventure
    Daniel: 11 • Britax Adventure
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventuredad View Post
    The front seat is just as safe as the rear seat for children as long as airbag is turned off. When we look at all the factors front seat is actually safer than rear seat which is not what most believe. A large percentage of Swedes keep their your children RF in front seat with deactivated airbag:-)
    Yes, I know. I put a rfing seat up front in dh's car because it is a much easier seatbelt to install car seats with and there is no air bag. Certain people love to tell me how horribly unsafe that is.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Carseat Crazy

I was on a conferanse by the Norwegian traffic council this spring and one of Norway's best experts on car seat safety(and RF) addressed the subject of the safety in the backseat. Car manufactures have, for a long while, been consentrating on making the front of the car safest possible and they have to some extent neglected the safety of the backseat passengers.

I do believe most people, except for perhaps the Swedish people, believe that the front seat is unsafe for a child in a car seat. I would never have placed a FF child in the front seat but with the airbag turned off I would have no problems placing my RF child there.

Carseat Crazy

AD: Subscribers gets an email when it's posted right?

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *HH* View Post
    I would never have placed a FF child in the front seat but with the airbag turned off I would have no problems placing my RF child there.
    I think this is the most important thing to emphasize: for forward-facing passengers, the front seat is less safe.

We also need to remember that most American vehicles with airbags do not have a way to easily deactivate them in order to safely put a RF child up front (the exception would be pick-up trucks).
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Carseat Crazy

I do think it is a bit of a myth that everyone over here has a button or a key to turn off the airbag with, here in Norway the car park isn't especially new.

There are many cars here in Norway(like my own) as well where one has to get the airbag deactiveted(or completly removed) by an authorised mechanic.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

In the US, virtually no mechanic will take on the liability (yes, that's what it's considered) of deactivating an airbag. One must petition NHTSA to get authorization to deactivate the airbag, and as far as I know, it's extremely difficult to be approved.

I don't know why things are so different here, but they are. It's important to note these differences, because lots of people will read this thread and simply see, "the front seat is just as safe/safer than the back seat!" and they'll just do it without looking into things further.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

21. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    I think this is the most important thing to emphasize: for forward-facing passengers, the front seat is less safe.

We also need to remember that most American vehicles with airbags do not have a way to easily deactivate them in order to safely put a RF child up front (the exception would be pick-up trucks).
    My conversion van has a key switch (as in you need to put the key in the spot and turn the airbag on or off)

Anyway, anyone know how we could put the translation and the origional article together somehow?
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

where did you guys see the pictures of the accident? I was only able to read the article but there weren't andy pics.
    3 big kids in seatbelts
    1 in a Turbo booster or incognito
    1 in a Foonf

Carseat Crazy

You have to copy the link at the top of the translation on rear-facing.uk.

25. Thank You from: