Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Lightbulb Recaro ProSport & Recaro ProBooster Pix & Comparison Pix (Picture Heavy!)

Ok, I picked these up on July 5th at Recaro...we have been using them both for the past month. I will say that I do like the ProBooster better than the ProSport, but they are both well built seats.

We had installation issues with the ProSport right off the bat...it turns out after installing it in other seating positions, it's once again those super high seatbelts, that makes for really bad belt geometry with carseats.

This is after we "fixed" the issue by unhooking one side of the harness from the splitter plate, semi-installing the seat, then reattaching the harness. Prior to us doing this, the harness where the seatbelt runs across was completely covered by the seatbelt. (I still need to get a picture of this, but it's nearly 90* outside and I'd have to uninstall the Regent to duplicate this.)

Oldest kid (that fits!) first...7.5yo DS, 55lb, 48"...he is using height setting #4/4 with about 1/2" of growing room left.

Here he is buckling himself in, he really has to fiddle with it much more than he ever did with the Regent...he says he doesn't mind it, and that once he gets ahold of it, it's easier to pull than the Regent (there's that butter smooth!). Sorry it's sideways, the Monterey is right in front of him in the van so I had to video him from the side, and to get a full length shot I had to turn the camera sideways.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZMPdWouO4"]YouTube- DSCN0396[/ame]

5.5yo DD, 41lb, 44"...she was using height setting #3/4, and it was pretty much even with her shoulders. Please excuse the ice cream face...it was vacation after all...LOL

3yo DS, 33lb, 38"...it was still set at height setting #3/4, though he probably could have used #2/4

Ok...here are some comparison pictures...in two weeks I can get a comparison to the Start as well...I had to leave it with Grandma in MI because we didn't have enough room to bring all the seats back with us...LOL.

ProBooster & ProSport with the headrests extended all the way up...

ProBooster & Monterey with headrests extended all the way up, installed.

9.5yo DS, 60+lb, 52"...He is using the top adjustment on the Monterey as his normal seat. He is using the top adjustment on the ProBooster here as well, but it could actually go down on adjustment to get a better fit on his shoulders.

He is on that verge of getting too tall for boosters (whaaaaa!!!!) and he actually rides in DH's work MKT 2nd row center without one when DH has it.

...continued in the next post...too many pictures! LOL
    ~Mel, Ex-CPST, Triathlete & Mom of 5ReiKids + 1E!!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Recaro ProSport & Recaro ProBooster Pix & Comparison Pix (Picture Heavy!)

DD in the ProBooster...her stats are listed above...She uses setting #4. (It's nice that they are labelled so that I can just tell my hubby, "If Ray-ray is using the seat put it on #4, if Reide is using it put it on #5, if Reilly is using it put it on #9") I also really like how the belt fits on her in this booster. She typically uses a PW in DH's vehicle, but we also have an AirBooster that we use too and DH & I agree that it does NOT fit her right (yet!) and so now she has another option for a booster (When older brother will give it up! LOL).

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Thanks!!!! I love those pictures . Thanks for taking the time to put them all in a nice linkable post.
    Last edited by joolsplus3; 07-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strollerfreak View Post
    Oldest kid (that fits!) first...7.5yo DS, 55lb, 48"...he is using height setting #4/4 with about 1/2" of growing room left.
    So it's fair to conclude that the 90# harness limit is overly optimistic, lol?

Nice seats, nice pictures, thanks!
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    So it's fair to conclude that the 90# harness limit is overly optimistic, lol?

Nice seats, nice pictures, thanks!
    Yeah, unless the kid is just one of those short & stocky heavier-than-they-look kids, the 90# harness is overly optimistic.

He tends to run right at about the 30th %tile on the growth charts, so there feasibly COULD be a kid that could/would need it, but they are going to be the exception, not the rule.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

I do have one of those "heavier than she looks" kids (and I'm expecting a new seat tomorrow so there may be pix), but even so, she's got about a 17.5" torso at 62#.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Carseat Crazy

So which does he prefer the recaro booster or the monteray?

Do you find the ProBooster to be tippy? Thanks for posting this!

Jack and Katie, 9 years old!
    Riding in Montereys and Maxi Cosi Rodi XRs

Thanks for the pics!

Your kids are adorable.

Don't you LOVE Greenfield Village?

Did you pick up at Recaro in Michigan? Where is it (anywhere near Dearborn)?
    Katie ~ expired CPST & aunt to
    M 12.5 years & E 9.5 years & A 5.5 years & J 2.5 years & L 11 months

Senior Community Member 3acorns4Christy's Avatar
    A person's a person no matter how small. - Dr. Seuss

I really like the looks of both! I really like the ProBooster.

Joel - 9y nbb Pia - 6y maestro
    Henry 3y, nautilus

Could you possibly measure the prosport in the highest booster setting? Could you try a kid out in it as a booster?
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    Did you pick up at Recaro in Michigan? Where is it (anywhere near Dearborn)?
    Recaro is in Auburn Hills, and yes, that's where she picked up the seats.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

thanks for the pics!

The booster ones made me wonder once again why I got the Monterrey instead. Then I remembered (once again) that it's because it can use LATCH and we learned in the first week of full time boostering that we're terrible at re-rubuckling an empty one.

The ProSport can be used as a booster, too, right? I'm wondering what you think of the booster mode fit if so.

DD has a Nautilus. She'll be 7 in October but is still a peanut. I really want to give the Nauti to my mom and get her a Pro Booster, but maybe I should get the ProSport so she can use the harness a while longer. We've tried the Nauti in booster mode a few times but she says she likes the harness better.
    Any thoughts?
    Joy~
    Soccer Mom to half a dozen GIRLS

Quote Originally Posted by crunchierthanthou View Post
    thanks for the pics!

The booster ones made me wonder once again why I got the Monterrey instead. Then I remembered (once again) that it's because it can use LATCH and we learned in the first week of full time boostering that we're terrible at re-rubuckling an empty one.
    Yup...and that's EXACTLY why he uses the Monterey...he can NOT remember to buckle the booster back in when he gets out of it.

The downfall for him (since he doesn't have to remember now) is that he has to sit next to Reiker... (Everyone hates sitting next to him because he is SO loud and never shuts up. LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by twinsmom View Post
    Do you find the ProBooster to be tippy? Thanks for posting this!
    No, the ProBooster seems much more stable than the PW.

18. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by christineka View Post
    Could you possibly measure the prosport in the highest booster setting? Could you try a kid out in it as a booster?
    Will do!

BRB!

Ok, seatpan to bottom of belt guide is 19"...I'll go get pix now.

DS#2 in the ProSport as a booster. He would use the #3/4 height setting (picture#2) if he was using it as a booster. picture #1 has it set in the #4/4 height setting. Oh, and the beltpath would annoy me if we had to use it as an everyday booster...the shoulder portion sits weird on the booster whether it is on the outside of the beltpath or inside the beltpath.

Also someone had asked either in this thread or the other one how much room there was between the harness straps...from outside to outside is 6.5", from inside to inside is 3.5".
    Last edited by strollerfreak; 07-30-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: add pix & measurements

20. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by vamom View Post
    So which does he prefer the recaro booster or the monteray?
    R1 - "I like my black one better."
    Me -"What makes your black one better?"
    R1 - "It is more comfy. I feel like I can relax in it more."

There you go...direct from the source...take it with a grain of salt because every kid is different, LOL!

22. Thank You from: