Car seat dilemma - UK help please

U

Unregistered

I'm new to this thread but would really appreciate any help and advice anybody could give. We have just moved to the UK from the USA and had to leave our car seat behind as the safety standards are different over there.

My little girl turned 2 last week and weighs 32lb. Here rests the dilemma- whether to get a group 1 car seat which she would grow out of pretty soon or buy a Group 1,2,&3 seat. She is currently in a convertible car seat which my parents bought for her to use at their house and is rear facing. We need one for our car but I really don't know what to get. I looked at the Recaro Young Sport but it had pretty bad reviews. Are there any good 1.2&3 seats out there or should I look into the extended rear facing car seats?

Katherine

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

dragonfly8

Re: Car seat dilemma

Hello!
You might get some better replies in the forum that isn't specific to Canada and international..........just so you know.

I"m assuming by group 1 2 and 3 you're referring to infant, child and booster?

At 2 years and 32lbs, I'd lean towards still rear facing your child. There are a couple of great options in canada, and even more in the USA that will accomodate a higher RF limit as well as a higher harnessed FF limit.
True Fit, True Fit Premiere, Radian (different versions of such) just to name a couple.

I'm sure techs with more experience will chime in and help with suggestions.

It's early and I need my coffee;) so my brain isn't working too well yet!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

I actually moved the OP's thread to the Canadian and International forum after it was approved since it's specifically asking about non-U.S. carseats, with the OP having moved from the U.S. to the U.K. recently. :)

Maedze

In your shoes, OP, I would only consider rear facing your child. The UK recently released recommendations that all children rear face until 4 years. Unfortunately the selection of rear facing seats in the UK is slim for a child who isn't a baby; importing a seat from Sweden may be your best bet.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I took the liberty to change your title in the hope to get more UK (or Europe)-specific help.

mommycat

I would also look at the Swedish seats (see options and descriptions on carseat.se - some great ERF info there). What seat is your DD in now? I thought that most if not all EU seats not from Sweden RF to under 30lbs (or even more like 28.5bs - 13kg)? Curious to hear which one they managed to find for her that still accomodates her at this point. If the limits are good then maybe that would be a decent option?

twinkletoes

Be safe goes up to 18KG rf.. it's available at www.gro.co.uk as well as other places...

You can buy some Britax seats that rf to 50lbs - these are initially made for Sweden but there are some stores in the UK that import them back to the UK for sale over there.. they are legal of course, because it's all part of the EU.

I'd personally find a seat that would rf to at least 4.

FInally the UK is coming around to ERF..

Adventuredad

May I please ask what car you drive and also how tall your girl is? While rear facing at age 2 is considered long in most places it would be considered dangerously early in Sweden where seeing a 3-year old forward facing would be unusual:) We rear face to four or longer which are kids are happy with

At age two there is an enormous safety advantage in favor of rear facing.

BeSafe seats are good and safe but need quite a bit of room. Do you have Isofix in your car?

Car seats such as Britax Multi Tech and Britax Two-Way have a 55 bls rear facing limit, a tall seat shell and fit fine in mid size car. Kids fit rear facing until age 5-6 if desired or about 125 cm (50 inches)

Seats such as Britax Hi-Way or DuoLogic are more compact and fit nicely in small to large cars.

Please post some more stats about your car and daughter and perhaps you can get a better recommendation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC