I'm in a debate...

julia94115

Is there a list of car latch limits? I am attempting to prove my point of different car makers have different latch limits AND that Hondas (CRV) is 40 pounds.. (correct?)

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You're correct. There used to be one online, but now it's just in the LATCH manual.

Wendy

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes, Honda is 40 lbs. I have a list. Not sure if I can link it. I will go try.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is this list pre-superlatch? Because I don't see any that meet that # :confused:

I don't think any of them are going to up their stated limits until they have to (they've had a 'working group on LATCH' composed of all kinds of experts for 10 years, and they have yet to clarify the situation, nor has the government insisted on any changes). It's just too confusing to have lower limits on older cars and higher limits on newer cars, and all different limits on various car seats (SuperLATCH being an invention of only Sunshine Kids right now).
I'd just educate the parent that if the car manual has no limits stated (most don't), to follow the limits stated on the carseat labels or in the carseat manual :)

brymommy

Question as I am confused looking at that sheet.

DD1 (4years11months) is 41 pounds and FFing in a Nautilus. We have a 2006 Buick Rainier does that mean I can't use the seatbelt and top tether together? But I can use the latch and top teather until she is 48lbs?

But what happens if she is 49 pounds (and will most likely still fit in the harness at that point).

I don't *think* it says anything in the manuel but I will go check again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I disregard the tether only limits. IF it fails (and there haven't been records of failure), it will have already done its job. As the seatbelt is a good way to install a seat, the top tether is optional, and therefore if it fails, no biggie. With LATCH it's required, so if it fails, it may be a big deal. So with the lower anchors I wouldn't go over the limit for any part of it. But the seatbelt isn't limited like that. So I don't worry about it. Always use the top tether forward facing.

Wendy

mygirlkat74

I read that list can I ask what a Kia is. It isn't for me its for the soon to be x who won't even check the manual to see. I won't say everything else he is doing wrong and upsetting me.

Evolily

I read that list can I ask what a Kia is. It isn't for me its for the soon to be x who won't even check the manual to see. I won't say everything else he is doing wrong and upsetting me.

Not listed, so "defer to the seat or give no guidance".

You can call Kia directly and see what they say. Most seats list latch limits I believe.

Dillipop

Not listed, so "defer to the seat or give no guidance".

You can call Kia directly and see what they say. Most seats list latch limits I believe.

Hyundai defers to the car seat manufacturer- so for some seats it will be 40 (I think that's what Britax now says) or others 48. If the car seat also defers to the car manufacturer, then you should assume 48.

Hyundai and Kia are the same company and have the same rules.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Is there a list of car latch limits? I am attempting to prove my point of different car makers have different latch limits AND that Hondas (CRV) is 40 pounds.. (correct?)

Thanks!

If not listed in the manual, Honda has generally deferred to the child seat manufacturer. This is according to a gentleman in their legal/standards department who is responsible for such recommendations. They did give a 40 pound number to Safe Ride News when asked for a limit, I'm told because they wanted to supply a conservative figure given the unknowns about increasing weights of future child restraint models. I have a quote from the Honda representative here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and link it.

This advice may have changed in the past few years. Plus, you have customer service reps giving all kinds of numbers to parents and different other reps giving different answers as well, it's hard to ever know for sure unless you have it in writing from the manufacturer. Lacking that, the owner's manual for your vehicle is the ultimate authority but the LATCH manual is a good substitute.

mygirlkat74

I wish it was that easy, I don't know what kind of car seats he puts them in because we do a drop off at a safe place. I get there 30 minutes early and drop the kids off and a counselor watches them and then watches his actions with the kids and leaving with the kids. He isn't suppose to be around me because of protective order because of DV. But, he gets the kids every weekend, to abuse them. Courts here are crap.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Seat belts work for any weight. He could meet with a tech. I have had to do that with a couple that were divorcing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC