Paper Diapers

Dillipop

For those who use paper or a combo of paper and cloth, I need your help. We are going on vacation in a few weeks and I need to figure out what size to get. DS is 8 months old and 20-22 pounds and 29 inches. He wears a medium fuzzibunz, medium swaddlebees, premium prefold with medium bummis. Looking at packages today, 3 goes 16-26 pounds and 4 goes 22-30 ish. I am thinking he would need a 3, but he seems to have a long rise and may need a 4, besides the fact that we need it to work overnight, too, so might need a 4 absorbancy.

Also, what brand should I get? Pampers cruisers or huggies supreme? I tried luvs on my oldest and didn't like them and mostly used huggies. Do the cruisers smell like the swaddlers? If so, then I guess we'll go with huggies.

Thanks for any insight on sizing. Not using them makes it hard to decide on a size and we really only want to buy one size and have it fit.

One more question...How many do you go through in a 9 day period? Will a small package work or should we get a large one?

ADS

skaterbabs

size 4 white cloud or Huggies would be my suggestion.
FWIW, our last vacation we just took our cloth with us and it was no biggie, of course we were well into potty training and she only used 5 diapers for the entire week....

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i would say a size 3 in huggies (dd is 17-18 lbs and they are big on her) the box says until like 28 lbs:)

LuvBug

if he is a heavy wetter I would say size 4. They can hold more, probably if he is anything like my DS when you are out of the house he will hold it longer and pee more at once(and more forceful). So Id definitely say size up for the extra gel.

Ali

Go with size 4 - DD is 2 years, 35 in and 28lbs and has been in size 4's (Huggies) for over a year. They just fit better.

Yoshi

I always found Huggies to be really stiff and cardboardy feeling AND the gel inside gets HARD and pebbly when it's wet:confused: :eek: :confused: I like Pampers and Luvs. My DD never leaked in a Luvs even overnight.

tl01

If your DS has a long rise then I'd go with size 4. We don't go by the weight at all. DS is 11 months and has been in size 5's for at least a few months. He's 26 lbs but has been in them since about 23 lbs. We find that the bigger diapers leak sooooo very rarely for us. He'll probably be in size 5's for a long time. We love Pampers Cruisers. They are a lot flatter when packing them than Huggies and they hold so much:)

LuvBug

DS ALWAYS leaked in luvs lol! I dunno what that was about! Id even size up and still... he was a forceful all at once peer for overnight though, so that must be why. It couldnt slowly absorb it had to act fast! Huggies leaked overnight as well. He was in cruisers or nothing when he was in disposables, they were all that worked.

Yoshi

DS ALWAYS leaked in luvs lol! I dunno what that was about! Id even size up and still... he was a forceful all at once peer for overnight though, so that must be why. It couldnt slowly absorb it had to act fast! Huggies leaked overnight as well. He was in cruisers or nothing when he was in disposables, they were all that worked.
Maybe because he is a boy, and the pee saturates the front of the diaper??? DD didn't leak in Luvs, so maybe it's a gender thing!LOL A long time ago when DS was a baby (17 yrs ago!!!) they sold Luvs for boys or girls- with different absorbency areas.
To the OP- you might need 4-5 diapers a day at your child's age if he is a heavy wetter.

Dillipop

But do the cruisers have that sickly smell that the swaddlers have? I am pretty sure I'll go with a 4, but I can't stand the smell of the swaddlers. We used swaddlers for a trip in october and were constantly thinking the baby was dirty. He never was, it was just the smell of the dipes! If the cruisers smell, they are out.

When DS1 was in dipes, he would leak in luvs, too. I know kids are different, but we want something that I don't have to use a cover with. (Although, I might just bring all wool for his pants and use a cover at night for just in case!)

Do any of the generics have nice flexible wiast tabs?

LuvBug

You know, Im not sure. Its been years since DS was in sposies lol! I remember that swaddlers smell, but dont remember the cruisers having the same smell. They have since redesigned the swaddlers and cruisers a little since we used them, 3+ years ago lol!(Im pretty sure it was 3y ago last month that we switched to full time cloth)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We used mostly cloth, but when we used sposies we always used Huggies. Sometimes folks loaned us some - Luvs and Pampers - and I thought they smelled funky...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
But do the cruisers have that sickly smell that the swaddlers have? I am pretty sure I'll go with a 4, but I can't stand the smell of the swaddlers. We used swaddlers for a trip in october and were constantly thinking the baby was dirty. He never was, it was just the smell of the dipes! If the cruisers smell, they are out.

When DS1 was in dipes, he would leak in luvs, too. I know kids are different, but we want something that I don't have to use a cover with. (Although, I might just bring all wool for his pants and use a cover at night for just in case!)

Do any of the generics have nice flexible wiast tabs?

The cosco kirkland generics have the flexible tabs. I've heard they're made by Huggies... not that you'd need a whole case. ;) (That's in Canada anyways, but I'd assume they're the same in the US...)

We've only used a few disposable on dd since we switched to cloth, but my experience was that after using cloth, disposable just stink regardless of brand.

lovemyfamily

I have always used disposable diapers, with both my boys, when they were in diapers. With DS#1, I first tried Huggies and found they leaked. We switched to Pampers Baby Dry and have never had any problems with leakage, even with some pretty nasty blow outs. I don't find they have any odor.

scatterbunny

I always loved Pampers Cruisers the best, they just fit dd the best. They had really nice stretch. Huggies, both kinds, were too trim and she leaked on the inner thighs. Luvs worked well, the newer, softer kind, not the plasticky-kind, which I found odd, since they are not very stretchy.

Now that we use cloth at night (dd is a bedwetter) instead of Pull-Ups, I do notice a smell on disposables.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I like Pampers Cruisers the best, but Huggies are good too.

I would try size 4. The weight guidelines on the packages are usually not very accurate (at least in my experience).

My 13-month-old (but petite) niece weighs 19 pounds or so. She is currently in size 4. My good friend's 8-month-old weighs about 22 pounds and he is in size 5, but he is very long-torsoed, so he needs the rise.

When I worked in the daycare center (10 years of working in an infant room, so I changed A LOT of diapers! :)), I found that *most* kids were in size 3 or 4 by the time they were 8 months old. *Most* of those kids were fitting diapers in the lower weight guideline of the larger size on the packages, not the upper guideline of the smaller size.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
i would say a size 3 in huggies (dd is 17-18 lbs and they are big on her) the box says until like 28 lbs:)

Wow! 28 pounds!! I guess for some kids...

I can't even imagine! My niece was out of size 3s when she was about 9-10 months old, I think. At the time, I think she weighed about 16-17 pounds? She has been in size 4s for several months now and she doesn't even weigh 20 pounds yet.

I did a little "experiment" the other day with diapers. My niece usually wears size 4 Pampers Cruisers, but I had some extra diapers at my house- a size 3 Huggies Supreme, a size 3 Huggies Ultratrim, and a size 3 Pampers Baby Dry. Each time I changed her, I tried a different diaper. She is definitely a size 4. I could get the size 3s to fit, but they gave her VERY little "clearance" in the front and back. I was worried about leaks! She definitely needs size 4!!

Splash

Yes, Cruisers stink. Horribly.
CVS apparently makes decent diapers. AJ's aunt cleared out a CVS by her house and gave them to Jess and us (why us, I have no clue). They don't smell as bad and they have stretchy tabs.
When we were to NYC in November, we bought a small pack of diapers and probably used about 20 in the 4 days we were there. But we took cloth for overnight and naptime and when in the hotel let him be naked.
Just buy them when you get there so you don't take up space in your suitcases! Or take pocket dipes with microfiber inserts. VERY easy to wash in a hotel sink and hang dry quickly!

kangato2roos

We use sposies at night and cloth during the day. Ds is a HEAVY wetter, particularly at night... it seems once he falls asleep he just lets go and pees all night long nonstop. No cloth combination works to hold him overnight, so sposies we have to use.

I've found Huggies diapers work best for us, but he's got chunky thighs and no tush at all. Dd, on the other hand, couldn't use Huggies and had to use Pampers. I tried the White Cloud and the Parent's Choice brands of diapers and they don't hold as much as the Huggies, but they worked nicely until he started to pee so much at night.

I'd suggest a size 3 in Huggies or Pampers but a size 4 in store brand... for some reason the sizing is different between name brand and store brand (and really, I LIKE the Parent's Choice and White Cloud more than Huggies or Pampers) even though it lists basically the same weight range.

To be honest, using cloth all day and sposies at night, I notice a nasty odor on ALL sposies, both right out of the package and once wet. Brand doesn't seem to matter, they all smell to me.

I would go ahead and bring his cloth for the trip though. It's not as hard as you think to do cloth on vacation (it's almost as easy as doing it at home, actually). Everywhere we go, cloth goes with us.

If you do decide to go with sposies, plan to change his diaper about as often as you change his cloth diaper. I know sposies can hold more urine, but I just hate the thought of kids sitting in urine drenched diapers all day just because "they aren't full yet". I change cloth as soon as he wets, I would change sposies as soon as he wets too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC