Gate checking car seat with no kids?

stephcali

This question is for my SIL who will be traveling this weekend. Long story, but she is driving to get her almost 4 year old twins this weekend and is flying back without them. So she'll be driving with their 2 car seats (Graco Nautilus's) and will be flying back with the car seats but no kids. So what would be the best way for her to do this? Check them or gate check? Will they allow you to gate check car seats if you do not have kids with you? I would be very surprised if she still has the original boxes. She is flying Southwest if that matters.

ADS

leighi123

I'm pretty sure she could still gate check them. A lot of times one parent will go a head with the kids and the other will be the one with the bags/gate check stuff, and the gate check people dont seem to even think about weather or not the guy with the stroller actually has a kid on the plane or not.

brightredmtn

My son's father did this when he flew back from the UK with a Two Way Elite. It was no problem on an international flight so hopefully shouldn't be on a domestic flight either.

stephcali

Good to know that it has been done before. So is my thinking correct that it would be better to gate check the seats as opposed to checking them with the luggage?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My mom carried my SS1 with her through the airport, then put it in one of the heavy plastic airline bags, wrapped in bubble wrap, and gate checked it. Nobody questioned it at all :)

Qarin

Gate checking is better than regular checking, but it'd be worth it for her to ask if the flight is full, and if it's not if she could buckle the (empty) car seats in next to her (since it's Southwest, with no seat assignments, this would be particularly easy).

brightredmtn

Good to know that it has been done before. So is my thinking correct that it would be better to gate check the seats as opposed to checking them with the luggage?

I don't think so much that checking seats has the potential to do much more harm then when their shipped. Granted seats come in boxes when shipped but no packaging material inside. I'd mostly gate check them to avoid paying the checked baggage fee on two seats.

Eclipsepearl

Gate checking is better than regular checking, but it'd be worth it for her to ask if the flight is full, and if it's not if she could buckle the (empty) car seats in next to her (since it's Southwest, with no seat assignments, this would be particularly easy).

Sorry, not allowed. If there isn't a child in a car seat, it's considered luggage and has to be stowed. They've threatened to do this even when I've removed my baby to nurse, etc. before take-off or landing.

WN uses 737's with very little stowage space so it's doubtful that you could stow them on board. Just warning you.

I'll also warn you that often the seats are counted as luggage if there are no children. Definitely try to gate-check them.

brightredmtn

Sorry, not allowed. If there isn't a child in a car seat, it's considered luggage and has to be stowed. They've threatened to do this even when I've removed my baby to nurse, etc. before take-off or landing.

I fly with my DS and a seat a ton and this has never ever happened to us. We nursed for two years and I don't put him in the seat until the last possible moment so he's never in his seat before we leave the gate. I'm sure this isn't any kind of FAA policy (or at least rarely enforced) and you just experienced a FA in a very bad mood.

Qarin

I fly with my DS and a seat a ton and this has never ever happened to us. We nursed for two years and I don't put him in the seat until the last possible moment so he's never in his seat before we leave the gate. I'm sure this isn't any kind of FAA policy (or at least rarely enforced) and you just experienced a FA in a very bad mood.

I dunno, Eclipsepearl's got creds:

Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries

I would like to think that it's not necessarily as written in stone as she claims, and that it's still worth asking, but, well, seems like she probably knows.

brightredmtn

I dunno, Eclipsepearl's got creds:

I would like to think that it's not necessarily as written in stone as she claims, and that it's still worth asking, but, well, seems like she probably knows.

Her statement wasn't made from a FA perspective though but of a passenger. I was merely pointing out that in the 50+ flights that I have flown with DS and a seat I've never run into that particular issue. Her post was all gloom and doom I just think it would still be worth a try for OPs friend to ask to have them on board if there is room.

Eclipsepearl

Sorry if I were "gloom & doom" (but I think you're overstating things...) Better to get the story straight on the net before getting on the plane and finding out THEN that it's not allowed.

Yes, luggage is not allowed to be strapped into seats. I don't care how many flights you claim to have taken. It's still a FAA reg as far as I know (I still get all the emails from my union). Your F/A's were probably being nice and knew you'd have him in the seat for take-off. Happened to me too (surprise, surprise!)

Usually only one carry-on is allowed, so two car seats would be over that.

If you think about it, what is the difference if a carry-on bag is shaped like a car seat or if it's a bag? People buy musical instruments seats so I'm wondering what rules then apply. I had a bass on board once. She could find out.

Can the car seats come back with the kids?? That would be more logical.

I'm wondering if crate-packing it and checking it wouldn't be better. Car seat techs??

Dillipop

I'm wondering the same thing? If she is driving her kids and then flying back, why can't the seats be left with the kids to use? Then, when they come back, the seats go with them?

I'd box the seats up and send them through regular baggage if I had to take 2 seats through. She could pack around them in the box to create packing material- clothing and such. However, she'll most likely have to pay over size luggage fees without the kids being there.

LittlePeanut

If you think about it, what is the difference if a carry-on bag is shaped like a car seat or if it's a bag? People buy musical instruments seats so I'm wondering what rules then apply. I had a bass on board once. She could find out.

I know Yo-Yo Ma had this issue one specific Air Canada flight. He had even purchased a seat for the cello and they took issue with allowing it onboard. I can't recall what the specific outcome was though.

stephcali

I'm wondering if crate-packing it and checking it wouldn't be better. Car seat techs??

Yes that would be ideal, but she is actually not driving with the kids. They are already there with different car seats that she cannot borrow (terribly annoying custody stuff :thumbsdown:)

I'm going to send this thread on to her so she can decide what she wants to do. Thanks for all the info!

mamom

Did I miss this all ready, but would it be possible to ship them in boxes via fed ex etc. back to the house? (although, that is a pretty expensive option the more I think about it. good luck!)

luvsviola

I know Yo-Yo Ma had this issue one specific Air Canada flight. He had even purchased a seat for the cello and they took issue with allowing it onboard. I can't recall what the specific outcome was though.

Given the value of his cello, I am fairly confident he did not check it... :) Its worth $2.5 million.

Eclipsepearl

Given the value of his cello, I am fairly confident he did not check it... :) Its worth $2.5 million.

No, musicians always bring their instruments on board (unless supplied at their destination). Same goes for some art treasures. The bass wasn't a problem but they had bought a seat for it. That might be key. To secure the car seats in airline seats without paying might be against the rules.

Someone did complain about it obstructing the movie screen though lol!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC