Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

I wish this wording could be changed

On every car seat are the required words
    " use only in the rear facing position when using restraint with an infant weighing less than 22 lbs.".
    The # of lbs changes based on the ffing weight minimum of the seat, but the misplaced modifier exists regardless due to the wording.
    We have a set of very good friends. They have a ds who is five months old and nearly 20 lbs, he is outgrowing his snugride22 by weight. She talked to me about what seat to buy for her baby and I actually took her my EFTA50. It will not work in a three across for us and she doesn't have to worry about space there.
    Our friends are bright, careful people who are safety oriented. They are well read and do their homework about recalls, etc. I dropped the seat off last night and went back by today to pick something up. The EFTA was sitting in the middle of the living room floor because they had a question about that particular wording. He had noticed the 5-35 lbs weight limit but was really worried about the " use only" specifics under the warning label. I told them the facts about rfing then and after I left they installed the seat rfing.
    But the fact is, the wording is confusing for most people. A few simple changes would make it much less likely that other families will be confused.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I wish this wording could be changed

I agree, if the reworded that it would be much easier to glean it's okay to rear face to the 35 lbs -or whatever lb. - weight limit. It'd be even better if they stated that it's safer.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

what's he wording for the next poundage limits? It sounds grammatically correct because it does have to be RF up to 22 lbs.

The thing is, it IS correctly worded. There is a difference between use only and only use. A huge difference. Not everyone has a mastery of the English language and would know the difference, but it is there. I'm pretty sure the legal department does not wish to part with that statement, as it appears to be standard across the board.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I just did a check yesterday with a family concerned about their 27 pounder in an Evenflo Symphony, thinking they were overdue in turning their 16 month old because of that wording. I told them it was awful wording, and agreed with them that it should be redone.

Their 16 month old is now happily riding more upright, and still rear facing. :-) I'd never seen a tightly rolled carpet roll as an angle recliner before. LOL

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785