Do you use a seat right up until expiration?

ADS

christineka

I would, but so far I've only actually had one expire on me. I didn't use it for it's last month of life because I didn't need it. It was a cargo with a rear adjust, so it was a pain in the butt.

I intend to use my radians and my bodyguard up until expiration.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Yep. In a truly dire situation, I'd have no qualms about going slightly over an expiration as well, since I wholeheartedly believe manufacturers "pad" their expiration dates. I mean, if a company is willing to assert that a seat is completely trustworthy one day, it isn't going to fail spectacularly the very next day, KWIM? Plastic breakdown is a gradual process.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Theoretically, I would use a seat until expiration, but I don't know if I'll actually be faced with that decision. I don't think that I own any seats that my kids won't outgrow before their expiration dates, with the possible exception of the Frontier in booster mode.

aeormsby

I would, we'll see if I do or not. We have 2 years left on our Marathons. It will probably depend on how DD is doing in a booster at that point for if they end up being used to the day or not.

glockchick

Yes. I would and have. Our MA expired last year and was used right up until then and a little after because I forgot about it expiring and noticed when I took the cover off to wash once. :eek:

Mags462

Yep.... used that BT infant bucket right up until the last of it's life (May 31 of this year).... it made it through 3 kids - i got my money's worth. ;)

vamom

I used our evenflo truimph as a primary seat for 3 years then as a secondary up to the end, when ds maxed it. I suspect that we will use both huskys til the end, which is coming soon - I think January and July 2011, baring a growth spurt.

Splash

To infinity, and beyond!

My seats cycle in and out. My ~18 month marathon has only been in use about 6 months of its life (and I got it in its infancy), my CCO will retire soon maybe to be used again, or not. I'm not gonna trash a seat ON x date, especially if it's been sparingly used or if it sat in a warehouse for 3 years. Nor am I going to use a plastic shell that has sat in the FL heat and humidity for years on end. Constant use, I'd probably move it on out after 4 years or so.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC