Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Carseat Crazy

Re: Britax Marathon 70 Review - Photo Followup

Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    Almost certainly less, at least an inch or so if the recline angle and seats and such are all equal. Now that's with the head restraint flush or nearly flush. Extended beyond the shell, things may be different depending on your vehicle!
    We put them both in our BMW330 last weekend and estimated in that car there was a 2-3" difference (now I can't guarantee the install angle was identical.) It was enough to make my husband say the BLVD 70 was a perfect fit. So, at least in that one car it was a very noticeable difference. (DH is 6'4" so it's a big deal to be able to have the seat all of the way back.) This was with the head restraint flush.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRocket View Post
    We put them both in our BMW330 last weekend and estimated in that car there was a 2-3" difference (now I can't guarantee the install angle was identical.) It was enough to make my husband say the BLVD 70 was a perfect fit. So, at least in that one car it was a very noticeable difference. (DH is 6'4" so it's a big deal to be able to have the seat all of the way back.) This was with the head restraint flush.
    Right-

The shell is shorter by about an inch or so in terms of internal torso height. The base is a bit lower, too. Combined, that gives over an inch (or 2-3" in your case) of extra installation room to the front seat.

Given that the smaller Britax convertibles (original Roundabout and Diplomat) are being phased out, one might guess that the new models were designed to fit in-between those and the larger Marathon-based models. I guess what we need is a Car-Seat.Org special edition with increased height limits!

Here are some photos of the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-USA-S844900-Infant-Positioning/dp/B00422M5JQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284997205&sr=8-1"]optional infant positioning insert from Britax[/ame]. It retails for $14.99. It should allow parents to use the Marathon for larger newborns and infants, though it probably will not accomodate preemies or tiny babies.

It is rated for use from 5-11 pounds, but that does not guarantee that it will result in a correct fit. You must still follow the instructions; the baby's shoulders should be at [or above] the level of the lowest setting for the shoulder harness slot.

With the Huggable Images 7-pound infant doll (this is a great training doll by the way!), you can see that the doll is almost but not quite there (left). While I would consider it an acceptable fit from a general practice since the harness is quite snug and secure, the doll is still a bit short of the bottom slots so it could not yet be used for an infant this size, based on the instructions. Even so, you can see it is much better than without the insert (middle). The insert not only moves baby up closer to the harness strap slots, but also moves the baby forward a bit and helps to take up some space at the crotch and make for a better fit there, too.

Of course, real babies vary a lot in seated torso/shoulder height. Some might fit at 7 pounds, others may not. I expect that a lot more babies in the 8 to 11 pound range could fit properly with this insert. I hope to find some suitable baby models to demonstrate in the near future!

In the LEFT column: With Infant Positioning Insert, slightly different camera angles
    In the MIDDLE column: NO Infant Positioning Insert
    In the RIGHT column: Before (top) and after (bottom) installation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BritaxInfantInsert1.jpg   BritaxNoInsert1.jpg   Before.jpg  

BritaxInfantInsert2.jpg   BritaxNoInsert2.jpg   after.jpg  

Here are a few photos of the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-USA-S844900-Infant-Positioning/dp/B00422M5JQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284997205&sr=8-1"]Britax infant positioning insert[/ame] itself. Installation is a breeze with the lift up flaps on the Marathon 70. Instructions are in the package and include small photos. I also show a top view of the insert with the cover and padding pulled away.

Please note that the insert is ONLY compatible with the Britax Roundabout 55, Marathon 70, Boulevard 70 & 70 CS and Advocate 70 CS in the USA. It is NOT compatible with the discontinued or "Classic" convertibles that have 65 pound ratings in the USA.

The packaging and online information do indicate that it can be used with the new Marathon 65, Boulevard 65 & 65 CS and Advocate 65 CS, but these products are only available in Canada and should not be confused with the original Marathon/Boulevard/Advocate Classic models sold in the USA.

If you have any doubt, please contact Britax with your model number and date of manufacture to see if this insert is compatible with your product. It is not compatible with any other products than those listed, from Britax or any other manufacturer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BritaxInfantInsert.jpg   topview.jpg   010120081804.jpg  

6. Thank You from: