Britax Marathon 70 Review - Photo Followup

MoonRocket

Almost certainly less, at least an inch or so if the recline angle and seats and such are all equal. Now that's with the head restraint flush or nearly flush. Extended beyond the shell, things may be different depending on your vehicle!

We put them both in our BMW330 last weekend and estimated in that car there was a 2-3" difference (now I can't guarantee the install angle was identical.) It was enough to make my husband say the BLVD 70 was a perfect fit. So, at least in that one car it was a very noticeable difference. (DH is 6'4" so it's a big deal to be able to have the seat all of the way back.) This was with the head restraint flush.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We put them both in our BMW330 last weekend and estimated in that car there was a 2-3" difference (now I can't guarantee the install angle was identical.) It was enough to make my husband say the BLVD 70 was a perfect fit. So, at least in that one car it was a very noticeable difference. (DH is 6'4" so it's a big deal to be able to have the seat all of the way back.) This was with the head restraint flush.

Right-

The shell is shorter by about an inch or so in terms of internal torso height. The base is a bit lower, too. Combined, that gives over an inch (or 2-3" in your case) of extra installation room to the front seat.

Given that the smaller Britax convertibles (original Roundabout and Diplomat) are being phased out, one might guess that the new models were designed to fit in-between those and the larger Marathon-based models. I guess what we need is a Car-Seat.Org special edition with increased height limits!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Here are some photos of the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-USA-S844900-Infant-Positioning/dp/B00422M5JQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284997205&sr=8-1"]optional infant positioning insert from Britax[/ame]. It retails for $14.99. It should allow parents to use the Marathon for larger newborns and infants, though it probably will not accomodate preemies or tiny babies.

It is rated for use from 5-11 pounds, but that does not guarantee that it will result in a correct fit. You must still follow the instructions; the baby's shoulders should be at [or above] the level of the lowest setting for the shoulder harness slot.

With the Huggable Images 7-pound infant doll (this is a great training doll by the way!), you can see that the doll is almost but not quite there (left). While I would consider it an acceptable fit from a general practice since the harness is quite snug and secure, the doll is still a bit short of the bottom slots so it could not yet be used for an infant this size, based on the instructions. Even so, you can see it is much better than without the insert (middle). The insert not only moves baby up closer to the harness strap slots, but also moves the baby forward a bit and helps to take up some space at the crotch and make for a better fit there, too.

Of course, real babies vary a lot in seated torso/shoulder height. Some might fit at 7 pounds, others may not. I expect that a lot more babies in the 8 to 11 pound range could fit properly with this insert. I hope to find some suitable baby models to demonstrate in the near future!

In the LEFT column: With Infant Positioning Insert, slightly different camera angles
In the MIDDLE column: NO Infant Positioning Insert
In the RIGHT column: Before (top) and after (bottom) installation

Attachments

• BritaxInfantInsert1.jpg
    BritaxInfantInsert1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 42
  • BritaxNoInsert1.jpg
    BritaxNoInsert1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 27
  • BritaxInfantInsert2.jpg
    BritaxInfantInsert2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 33
  • BritaxNoInsert2.jpg
    BritaxNoInsert2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 25
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 25

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Here are a few photos of the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-USA-S844900-Infant-Positioning/dp/B00422M5JQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284997205&sr=8-1"]Britax infant positioning insert[/ame] itself. Installation is a breeze with the lift up flaps on the Marathon 70. Instructions are in the package and include small photos. I also show a top view of the insert with the cover and padding pulled away.

Please note that the insert is ONLY compatible with the Britax Roundabout 55, Marathon 70, Boulevard 70 & 70 CS and Advocate 70 CS in the USA. It is NOT compatible with the discontinued or "Classic" convertibles that have 65 pound ratings in the USA.

The packaging and online information do indicate that it can be used with the new Marathon 65, Boulevard 65 & 65 CS and Advocate 65 CS, but these products are only available in Canada and should not be confused with the original Marathon/Boulevard/Advocate Classic models sold in the USA.

If you have any doubt, please contact Britax with your model number and date of manufacture to see if this insert is compatible with your product. It is not compatible with any other products than those listed, from Britax or any other manufacturer.

Attachments

• BritaxInfantInsert.jpg
    BritaxInfantInsert.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 13
  • topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 010120081804.jpg
    010120081804.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 11

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC