Chrysler Pacifica or Suzuki XL7?

amydorrk

I know this is probably asked every other day, but I did a search and found so many threads and I'm more confused now that I was before. I guess different years must be different, because there was a lot of conflicting information about tethers, etc.

So, we want to get a vehicle with a third row. We currently have 3 Radians in our Ford Escape (1RF & 2 FF). We are planning to move our 6.5 yo into a booster. Keep the 4yo FF in a Radian, and the youngest will be RF in a Radian. The Pacifica and XL7 are the 2 we like the best in our price range (we'd probably get an '06 or '07). We'd like to put the oldest 2 in the third row, and keep the baby in the 2nd row. It just seems the easiest for getting everyone in fairly quickly. The 6yo can get in herself, the 4yo can do everything except tightening. I don't want to climb into the 3rd row to put the baby in. Is this doable? Anything I'm not thinking of?

ADS

amydorrk

I was able to find the manuals to download, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. That answered my tether questions. I guess we'll only be able to have the oldest in the third row. I had someone who's a "technician" tell me you can tether to anything metal, but that's only for RF (we have Radians) right?

If anyone has any addition opinions on either of these vehicles, I'd still love to hear them :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You're right on the top tethering query. While the RF tethering feature of the Radian (and Britax convertibles) does allow you to use a fixed point toward the front of the car to loop around the Radian's (or Britax convertible's) D-ring rear facing tether connector strap to create a rear facing tether point, it's not true that you can do anything similar with any available metal part for top tethering a forward facing carseat. Forward facing harnessed carseats need to be top tethered to a designated top tether anchor in the vehicle, or possibly to an unused vehicle seatbelt behind the forward facing carseat if the vehicle manufacturer allows it.

I'm not super familiar with either of the vehicles you're considering to weigh in much on carseat positioning and ease of use. I do recall that the Pacifica's third row is rather cramped and hard to access and takes up a good chunk of the cargo area. Any chance that you'd consider a minivan for the sliding doors and generally easier access to the third row plus cargo room? :)

amydorrk

My husband says absolutely not ;) Although it sounds like the tether issues exist with minvans too. I have a friend on the other side of the country with an XL7, and she has 3 across w/ a booster, so it sounds like it's wider than our current vehicle. If we can't get 3 across in the middle row, I think we'll put the booster in the 3rd row, w/ one side down so she can get in from the back. There just aren't a lot of options in our very low price range. We'll have to take the seats and experiment when we're shopping.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I hear you on the minivan thing - my own motto used to be "death before I drive one of those things," lol. ;) I've had one five years now and counting, lol, but you're right that some don't have more than 3 top tether anchors and some of the models that do tend be pricier used, I hear you on that. If you do decide to go that route, there are several minivan shopping threads in the Car Safety forum that you might find useful, and please feel free to post any additional questions about any cars you're considering. Your plan to try out the carseats in cars before you decide is a very good one. Happy shopping. :)

cookie123

Minivans are the way to go with 3 kids. I had a hard time giving my up. Now I'm wanting one back for the grandkids!

Look out for the Pacifica. My friend has one and it's had many many problems and it sounded like that's not uncommon. She also has 3 kids and hates it. Hers I believe has bucket seats in the 2nd row so that's her biggest issue. They have to use the 3rd row and it's a pain. Kids jumping over the console or through the back hatch. She hates it and they're trying to get it lemon law-ed.

ETA: rear hip room in the xl-7 is 50.4 inches - I googled it. It's a little more than my Tribute. What ever you decide, be sure to try installing your seats before deciding. Especially your rf Radian.

Last edited:

amydorrk

Peg, thanks for the Pacifica info! How wide is the seat on your Tribute? I think the Tribute and Escape are probably the same.

I'm pretty sure we're going to go with the Suzuki, unless we look at it and just wind up hating it. Really, having 3 in one row is nice, except when we have passengers we have nowhere to put them w/o uninstalling a carseat. If we could stay with 3 in a row with a booster, that would be awesome. Then we'd have more cargo room or could fold down a seat when necessary. They seem to love crawling over each other, for some reason. Lately the older 2 like to crawl OVER the baby's seat to get into theirs. It drives me batty, especially when she's in it. Since we're done with babies, we should have a little more flexibility for seating arrangements in a few years when we only have one harnessed. Or, maybe by then I'll be able to convince my husband to go with a minivan :whistle:

cookie123

Tribute is 49.1 inches. I have a Radian center back there rf for Matthew. A TB behind the driver and the Safe Voyage booster behind the passenger. The TB doesn't quite fit. It moves out a bit because of the curve of the plastic next to the seat. It would probably be okay.

I have to have the kids get in the boosters, then pull them to the side to buckle. Today, they buckled themselves, which was nice, then I just pushed them back over and pulled the belt tight. It's harder when you have to buckle them too!

mommyin05and07

we had a pacifica (had as in it was totalled thanks to a complete idiot that didnt know what STOP meant) we only had it about a yr and half,but it was great for 2 kids,I would not have bought it with 3 kids,there just wouldn't have been enough room.

hboo22

I have a Pacifica with the 3rd row (an 06) and there is one tether anchor on the driver side 3rd row seat, and LATCH and tethers on the 2 middle seats. The console in the 2nd row is kinda a PITA, don't think I would want to deal with it every day....but it's very handy to have that 3rd row for when we need the additional seating. I LOVE my Pacifica, but if I had a 3rd child when we got it, would probably have just kept my minivan (I had the opportunity to get the Pacifica, which I've always loved, so I jumped on it!!). My only complaint about my previous minivan (02 Dodge Caravan) was that it didn't have Stow and Go seats....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC