Our experience with Pocket Diapers

arly1983

I love pocket diapers in general so does DH. Here is what we have tried so far: Haute Pockets, bumGenius 2.0, and Happy Heineys.

We love the bumGenius. They fit both DS(6.5 months, 19 lbs) and DD(26 months 35 lbs) well. The snaps stay nice and closed. We have been using them for about two weeks and have 7 and have been using the cotton babies inserts which I also like.

I like the quaility of the Haute Pockets is great. I love the insert that comes with them. THey also have a wide range of colors. They work great and fit Camille well. The rise is a little low on Jackson so he will not last long in these (they say 35 lbs and he is 35 lbs right now). The snaps do come open rather easy. We have 4 of these.

We have 4 happy heiny prints (2 med, 2 lg) They are cute and thats about all I can say for them. I have heard the solids are more waterproof. These are not very waterproof and I have to pay close attention to make sure to change these right after they are wet in. My DH has been wet on twice while Camille has had one of these on. Jackson has also leaked in these. I think I am going to hange them above the changing table for decoration.

We have two Fuzzi Bunz comeing and I think I am going to try one mother's touch, a swadlebees. So far the bumGenius works the best.

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Wow, what an informative comparison :) We never tried the Bum Genius or Haute Pockets but we had both Happy Heinys and Fuzzi Bunz. We loved the Fuzzi Bunz (just don't dry them in the dryer - they'll last alot longer... ). I really *wanted* to like the Happy Heinys b/c they really do have such dang cute prints :p But like you, I found that they leaked around the edges (I think it was more "wicking" than leaking...)...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
FuzziBunz didn't fit Leila well for some reason -- HHs worked better for her ... but I found that it really depended on the stuffing: Chinese Prefolds worked best for us, although HHs were never useful for overnight (we liked Stacinators + Kissaluvs).

My only advice is never to buy Justins Buttons (I think that's what it's called). My order took weeks longer than usual to process & although she was only minutes from my house she insisted on shipping, afterwhich the items totally fell apart!!!

broken4u05

very helpful thank you. please tell about the others you get as well. I want to do cloth when i have children but alitle lost on what to get and what would work for us. But i guess i will have to try some just like you are

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We've used a lot of different pocket diapers too. :eek:

We started with fuzzi bunz, have used drybee's, tried swaddlebees, have used happy heiney, supadupas, wonderoos and pocket change.

Fuzzi bunz - used with dd & haven't tried with ds yet. They worked great for us... never leaked, fleece stayed soft & they fit well.

Drybee's - fit similar to a happy heiny but have a suede cloth inner. Loved the fit and function, but dd reacted to the suede cloth.

Swaddlebee's - the original sb's pocket was very narrow and dh just couldn't stuff them. The fit was nice though.

Happy Heiny's - I tried a print when we first started cloth diapering and had nothing but leaks so I sold them. Later on I tried some solids, and they almost as reliable as our fuzzi bunz. Dd outgrew the mediums though and the large's are still too big. They were our main nap/night time diapers though.

Supadupas - worked ok, fit well enough, dh had trouble stuffing them as they were trim like swaddlebees.

Wonderoo's - These were ok. Not great, but functional. Didn't leak on us, but definitely not as durable as the fuzzi bunz or happy heiny's

Pocket Change - These are made by the same company as haute pockets and are my new favorite. The larges fit dd perfectly and I love not having to unstuff them before putting them in the diaper pail. The fleece is super soft and dd wakes up with her skin even drier than she did with her fuzzi bunz or happy heiny. The inserts they come with are great too.

Ds we're using mainly fitteds and covers right now, but I have fuzzi bunz on the way to try with him, I'm curious how they'll fit him since he's built quite differently than dd was as a baby.

arly1983

Thanks, I think I will try some Pocket Change now. Maybe I will give the HH solids a go since my DH liked the velcro closures on them.

Splash

My favorite pockets for fit and function are the old style (white snap) Mommy's Touch. However, 8 snaps (difficult snaps, no less) are killer with a squirmy kid. But they fit like a glove and were bullet proof.

FuzziBunz are of course an all around favorite. I've just moved Charlie into larges during the day. They droop a bit, but he needed new daytime diapers and nothing else I bought fit right. So, he's slightly droopy but covered. We were previously using larges overnight and never had a leak. Now we're using all the OTHER diapers that I THOUGHT would be for daytime overnight... they're all just too big and droopy!

I have on Happy Heiny that I use overnight (too big for daytime) with no leaks. It's a solid print.

I really like DryBees as well, although the large is a bit too big for daytime and the medium too small. So, this is now a nighttime dipe as well with no problems so far.

I LOVE the Pocket Change diapers. Unfortunately, just like with all others, the large is too big and the medium too small. So, right now, I'm using them as night time diapers. I know that if he was in a better size range they would fit very nicely (like the Mommy's Touch), but I'm liking them overnight. I love the front opening. I wish all pockets had front openings, it makes SO much more sense than a back opening. As for the "never unstuff" theory, well... I often don't unstuff my pockets, and I've never had a problem. ALL of them come out in the wash, regardless of brand (except sometimes the ones that have elestic around the opening).

Wonderoos- Hate them. Not fitted at all. Stupid diapers. We have three, and AJ likes them because they're easy to stuff (yeah, I could stuff a cat into them) and they work, but they're bulky and look so uncomfortable.

Haute Pockets- Love them! THe velcro is SO soft, too! The rise is pretty low, and I doubt they'll fit Charlie for more than another six months or so. They're only slightly larger than a typical medium diaper, and much smaller than a large. But, they're awesome!

Swaddlebees- I hate the side snapping ones but LOVE the aplix. They have been the mainstay of our stash now for over a year. However, he's getting too big for the larges (they're really small diapers!). If they made an XL, I'd go for it. Otherwise, it's time for our SBs to go into the pile for the elusive "next baby."

bumGenius- Hate them. I think these are quite possibly the worst designed diaper ever. It's a shame, because for only $300 she could have made a very nice diaper. I don't like the one size aspect because she put too many snaps on it, but mostly I hate that flap. I know she was trying to avoid paying FB for the patent, but the flap really is very stupid. I don't mind the "non leading edge" issue (like with haute pockets), but why the FLAP!?! Apparently Jen has never changed a poopy diaper. And the worst part about these is the insert will NOT come out in the wash, because of that flap. So I have to wash the diaper with the insert in, then remove it, then wash it again if he happens to poop in it. Stupid stupid design, all to save a few bucks. Other than that, the diaper is fine.

Baby Blankets- I'm neutral on these. They're not fabulous, but they work well. I don't even know where my BBs are anymore. He outgrew them and I think I gave them away.

My Precious Baby by April- I use these overnight because they're too big for daytime. The velcro is VERY scratchy, and the diapers are pretty poofy (though it might just be because mine are too big). But, they're easy to stuff and I've yet to have a leak in them. VERY customizable, and CHEAP! Eight bucks for a pocket diaper, especially a cute and functional one, is a steal. I love the fleece leg casings as well.

tchrgrrl

Can anyone compare the sizing of Pocket Change and FB? My 2 year old is in PT FB and I am thinking about trying a PC but not sure if he should wear med. or lg. He can wear lg FB but they are big. Heck he wears XL FB crossed at the waist a lot too LOL!

arly1983

I have both the fuzzi bunz and pocket change coming but will not be able to tell you that untill later this week.

Splash

Can anyone compare the sizing of Pocket Change and FB? My 2 year old is in PT FB and I am thinking about trying a PC but not sure if he should wear med. or lg. He can wear lg FB but they are big. Heck he wears XL FB crossed at the waist a lot too LOL!

PC are bigger than FB.

Charlie's on the second smallest snap in L FBs, and the L PC are far too big. Even if I stuff them for nighttime, he is still on the tightest setting, versus the second to last for a nighttime FB.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We love our BumGenius dipes, stupid flap and all.

I take the inserts out as I toss them in the wash (about the same time I close the laundry tabs). If there is a diaper that I really really don't want to touch, I toss it in fully, and then remove the insert after I do the rinse cycle.

I do agree that it is stupid though.

We have 2 printed Happy Heiny's, and the leak something fierce, so we don't use them often. But they sure are cute.

And that's all. 16 white bg, 3 blue ones, 3 green ones, 1 (home-dyed) peachy one & 1 (home-dyed) pinkish-red one, and 2 printed HH.

I have been thinking on buying more inserts... I have a number of the microfiber (car-cleaning type) inserts, 25 cotton babies inserts and 12 WAHM hemp inserts. Any suggestions? Ds is a medium, but we're pushing large - He's short and fat though, so the large has too high of a rise right now.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
My favs are still Snap-EZ. Excellent quality and c/s, easy to stuff, never a leak, wash and dry easily, high bum rise, but low in the front. Zane has several larges that he's been using for two years (this month). They still look like new. Never had a leak. Just LOVE them!

FB, couldn't stand the wing droop.
HH, ok in solids (until he started taking them off).
SB, nice and trim, newer style MUCH easier to stuff, not night worthy.
Wonderoos, worked fine once they fit, a bit wide in the crotch, good for back up dipes.
GAD, really like the fit, but did get leaks sometimes, very trim.
There's several other WAHM ones I'm not thinking of right now. A couple had front stuffing pockets that I didn't care for at all with a boy.

Dillipop

We have a couple fuzzibunz that I like. We bought a ton of swaddlebees from the outlet and they are great! Very trim, so probably not for a heavy wetter. We use the medium during the day with one microfiber towel insert and large at night with 2 swaddlebees microfiber inserts. Works well for us, but again, DS is not a heavy wetter.

We had one snapez and liked it, but the rise was just too low for nighttime. It is a chubby medium and is much smaller rise wise than the medium fuzzibun we have.

lynsgirl

For pockets, so far my favorites are FB. I've had solid HH and I have one print HH and I don't hate them, but I don't adore them either. I sold the solids and kept the one print, just for fun and because it's really awfully cute :p . He does ok in it, leak-wise, if it's just a regular day-time diaper. My only complaint with FB is that it's hard to work with when the baby's sort of "in between" sizes. We're in mediums right now, but he's been in mediums for about 2 months now and they finally fit ok. The smalls were too small and too tight to even bother with before the mediums would fit snugly on the smallest setting. Now, we're good to go, though.

I have 3 BG one-size pockets and mostly I like them for their versatility, size-wise, and I keep them for the diaper-bag if there's any possibility someone else might have to change him. I'm not hugely fond of the flap, as previously mentioned, but I can deal with it. I take my inserts out all the time and that *can* be messy occasionally, but since I only have 3 of them... ;) .

I have a Pampered Cheeks one-size pocket on order (http://www.pamperedcheeks.com) and it has a front pocket opening, so we'll see how I like those.

I have one medium JamTots Berry Plush that was used 3 times and totally doesn't work for him. Too bad, since it's soooo soft. It leaks terribly around his legs, no matter which snaps I use and I think it's just that he and the diaper don't work well together :p .

When he was in smalls, I had one BG AIO that I didn't mind, but didn't really love the drying time involved for it, so it wasn't one I got when we moved to mediums.

I have a DryBees in large waiting for some unknown day when he needs it, so I don't know how I like DryBees or even IF I do lol.

All that to say that I really do, for the most part, love my FB. They've held up well; he rarely has leaks, unless it's a poopy blowout leak and even those are rare (more like if he's sitting in the swing or something and it goes up his back - compression issues :D).

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We love pocket diapers too. These are the following we've tried so far.

Cloth Thoughts (have prints and solids) and even the print hasn't wicked

GADs (have mostly solids, but one print) these are my favorite, although the CT are quickly gaining as I like the flap over the opening for the insert

SDF (Stephs Diaper Factory) A WOHM dipe from a great mom on another board, these are modeled after the GAD, hard to get.

HH (only have solids) and they are great, but I prefer side snap.

SB ~ LOVE my SB...have both side snapping and aplix.

Drybees ~ haven't used yet as I bought them in a size large and they run big like HH.

FlyBabyDesigns (almost forgot this), I've got 2 side snapping testers from this WAHM and they are also similar to a GAD/SDF. So far, so good!

Last edited:

arly1983

Thanks everyone!
You've given me some ideas. I have a couple of pocket change coming now as well as a couple of My precious baby by April and a couple of Snap-EZ. So that means in the next week we will try:
Fuzzi Bunz
Pocket Change
My Precious Baby
Snap EZ

Splash, I tried the not taking the insert out of the Haute Pockets and they stayed in there so I had to take them out and rewash. Mybe my washing machine doesn't agitate as much. Who knows?

I am looking for a diaper that fits Jackson better and that I also don't have to deal with snaps in the front for Camille. I am hoping either the snap-ez or Fuzzi Bunz will help that. I have heard great things about the fit for mother's touch but he will not stay still for eight snaps, no way. I know I am putting a lot of effort and time and money into finding a good solution for a two year old but my OP and Ped said no potty training for Jackson untill there are some changes. They would like him to have the words for the body functions, also to mature some. My OP said there would be a enough of changes in his life in the next six months and to let this go. My ped said on average boys don't potty train untill 3 anyway so he will probably not be behind and that maybe by waiting we will have an easier (shorter) time potty training.
So agian, Thanks

broken4u05

Thanls so much for all the ideas. I am going crazy and i love it. I want to do cloth when i have a baby. And my BF said i can so YAY

tchrgrrl

I know I am putting a lot of effort and time and money into finding a good solution for a two year old but my OP and Ped said no potty training for Jackson untill there are some changes. They would like him to have the words for the body functions, also to mature some. My OP said there would be a enough of changes in his life in the next six months and to let this go. My ped said on average boys don't potty train untill 3 anyway so he will probably not be behind and that maybe by waiting we will have an easier (shorter) time potty training.
So agian, Thanks
We started cd'ing when our oldest was just over 2 and he wore those diapers until he switched to undies at 49 months, so it sounds like a good investment to me ;) Also he is heavy sleeper and never wakes up dry - so he will be in nighttime diapers for a long time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC