My Ride in a Kia Rondo?

trinity991

We are thinking about getting a 2010 Kia Rondo. I have searched the posts here and I saw a thread about the True Fit not installing well in the Rondo. I currently have a True Fit but was planning on getting a My Ride so dd can rear face for longer. DD weighs 25lbs right now. Does anyone know if the MY Ride will install nicely in the Rondo?
My ds rides in a Nauti - anyone know how that installs in the rondo?
TIA!

ADS

Maedze

Before you switch it up, how tall and old is your daughter? If she's 25 pounds at 14 months, I agree, she'll get more time out of the My Ride. If she's 25 pounds at 3.5, she'll last longer in the True Fit because the shell is substantially taller.

trinity991

Before you switch it up, how tall and old is your daughter? If she's 25 pounds at 14 months, I agree, she'll get more time out of the My Ride. If she's 25 pounds at 3.5, she'll last longer in the True Fit because the shell is substantially taller.

She's 28 months and around 34 inches (maybe a bit taller - I can't find my measuring tape at the moment) most of her length is in her legs and not her torso. Also, she gains about half a pound a month.

Last edited:

Maedze

Hmmm, I'd say it's a toss up. It may all come out in the wash, either way :D

Why not use the True Fit a little longer and see if anything spectacularly wonderful has come on the market when she does reach that 35 pound limit, assuming you aren't comfortable forward facing at that juncture?

For comparison's sake, my three year old is about 39", seems to have about 1" of torso growth left in the My Ride, and weighs about 31-33 pounds. He has miles over his head in the True Fit but of course is pushing the max weight.

U

Unregistered

I have a Rondo and to the best of my knowledge the truefit is not compatible with this car. The lock-offs don't close because the buckle is too long. Perhaps with latch you could instal this seat if you don't need to instal another seat beside it. The Rondo is a great car for a family of four any larger and it isn't a good car. We are expecting our fourth child and REALLY outgrew our Rondo with baby #3. There just isn't enough space to put everyone and everything (stroller etc) that a family needs.

Angela

I installed an older True Fit in our 07 Rondo a few months back during my cert. class. It seemed to be installed well, but I was still pretty new with installing seats, so I'm not sure if it was in there totally right (our instructions had never installed one either and I don't think they looked at it too hard). As for the MR, I wouldn't see it being a problem. I'm getting together with a friend of ours this weekend that has a Nautilus. If you haven't gotten any replies about that install before then, I'll make sure to let you know how it fits.

As for the Rondo... It would work really well for a family of 4 as the previous poster mentioned. Over 2 kids and you lose all the extra room in the back. Also, there is no tether in the 3rd row. All that aside, we LOVE our Rondo. I only have the one DS, but do take other daycare kids in it quite a bit. I've been able to install an EFTA rearfacing in the 3rd row, but it's pretty upright. We usually use it for 2 boosters when I have a car full. There's a lot of room in the back with the seats folded down and all the seats I've tried to install in there have gone in pretty effortlessly.

nmb

My ds rides in a Nauti - anyone know how that installs in the rondo?
TIA!

Can't tell you about the TrueFit. But I should have a Nautilus anyday now (shipped Wed) so I can tell you how that fits soon if you don't get another answer sooner. [Sure hope it goes in ok! Haven't seen anything about fit issues with it, except for smaller seats that it might overhang, so...fingers crossed]
Subbing so hopefully I'll remember to check / answer if needed. :whistle:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I installed an older True Fit in our 07 Rondo a few months back during my cert. class. It seemed to be installed well, but I was still pretty new with installing seats...

I'm pretty sure it installs, but requires the female stalk to be twisted down to get the lockoffs closed? You might've installed it with LATCH for your class? Or I'm mis-remembering my Kias.

-Nicole.

U

Unregistered

I posted about my Rondo a few people back. Yes you have to twist the buckle down but I had to do it more then 3 twists and there was still A LOT of movement - it just wasn't possible to get a tight seatbelt instal with this seat. I couldn't use latch because I needed to do a 3 across and wanted every inch of seat - latch would have brought the seat closer to the middle and made getting two more seats in not possible. I think with latch you would be able to get it in though but I never tried.

For anyone thinking about a Rondo I also have to say that a Radian isn't really a great seat either for Rondos. Because the seat is SOOO tall and there is very little room even with the middle seats pushed all the way back - you have to sit REALLY far forward to get a Rondo installed.

Angela

I'm pretty sure it installs, but requires the female stalk to be twisted down to get the lockoffs closed? You might've installed it with LATCH for your class? Or I'm mis-remembering my Kias.

-Nicole.

Now that I think about it, it probably was with LATCH.

Just a tip for Rondos... try every position and recline the seat first. With the 60/40 split, the buckles are different lengths and fit differently. I struggled for several hours trying to get my frontier installed and found the only place I could get it installed well was on the passengers side.

There is someone on here that has 2 or 3 across the second row with radians in the mix. Let me see if I can find one of her posts..

Angela

For anyone thinking about a Rondo I also have to say that a Radian isn't really a great seat either for Rondos. Because the seat is SOOO tall and there is very little room even with the middle seats pushed all the way back - you have to sit REALLY far forward to get a Rondo installed.

Here's a link about the Radian (if you're interested):
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=117413

I know that getting away from your main topic of the MR, Nautilus, or True Fit fitting, but thought I'd make sure you know you have some options. Good luck with your Rondo.

MarathonMama

Since I'm one of the posters in ajtastad's link ... maybe I'll update ;)

We have a FF RNXT behind the driver, RF RN XTSL centre (no twisting the belt, the belt is all the way inside the belt path of the RN), SR 35 behind the passenger.

We originally thought the RF RN would be incompatible with the centre belt position as twisting it 3 full turns didn't get it out of the path but we got it installed with the belt all the way in the path. However, because of that the seat tips (as you obviously can't use a locking clip). It doesn't both my DD but it bugs the heck out of me!

We can get a RN FF in the centre, but not in a 3 across as we can't get it independently tight in the position we need it to be in - the belt arrangement pulls it over onto the 60 split portion too far and we can't fit anything beside it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC