what is the safest seat for a one year old to sit FF in?

Numommy

A RFing one, I know. My daughter has something wrong with her lungs. She retracts, breaths really fast and this morning went into stridor. We took her to doctor. She wad RFing w me in back. She has always hated her seat. She screamed until she turned blue. My husband, seeing her blue and pretty limp, floored it. Away we go at 85-100 mph. When we left the clinic..the seat got turned and it will stay that way unless she is having an exceptional day, we go in my fil single cab, i can get permision to turn airbagcoff up front in my car, we buy a truck w ability to diable bag, or they figure this out and get her fixed. So I said all that, to ask, what is your opinion on the safest seat for when she is ff? She has a blvd now. She is 20 #. Just now one. And 75th percent for height.

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Make sure you have it top tethered if you're going to leave her FF.

Was her seat installed with a full 45* recline? Maybe being more upright would make her happier. My son is 19 months and sits pretty upright.

Usually around a yr old, most children hate their seats...or rather they hate being restrained. They are just figuring out how to get around and explore and then here comes mommy/daddy to strap them down or into something. My son hits it at times. We also went through the "please don't let me sit at a red light" phase because he hated when the car was sitting still...he only wanted the car to GO.

Susan

luckyclov

Was she as upright as she could be RF when she was having problems? Obviously, RF is safest...but how scary for you guys. I would assume (and I could be wrong - I'm nowhere near being a tech), that her Boulevard is going to "act" the safest FF based on the install. If it's anchored (or SB'ed) and tethered rock solid, I'd think that would be the safest you can possibly be given her age/size/FF position. Every tech I've spoken to over time has said your seat is only as safe as your install...you could have the absolute top of the line carseat, but if the intsall is crap, you're not protected.

Good luck. :)

Maedze

Does she have a diagnosed condition? Kids that age often scream in their car seats, and can be pretty hysterical and convincing about it.

DahliaRW

So there is no way to know what seat is "safer" than other seats since they all meet the same standard. That being said, Sunshine Kids does release their test results and they get very good head excursion numbers. If I had to ff young, I would do so in a radian.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If for some reason I HAD to have a 1 year old forward-facing, I'd illegally import a Kiddy seat. That's what I'd do if it was my kid and there was some medical reason he HAD to forward-face. But I'd try everything in my power to keep him rear-facing first.

Numommy

no not diagnosed yet. Cystic fibrosis vs congenital structural anomoly is what docs are thinking. She has sweat test for cf on wednesday. We were taking her in for worsening breathing sx. I am quite content to let her scream provided she is oxygenating well enough to do it. I am a ICU RN, trauma. I dont know babies or carseats but I know what happens when one isn't restrained and or drives reckless. What I do not know is why my daughter requires a treatment every 2hours...why she breaths 60, or why she she cannot handle the extra work of breathing and crying. (A month ago when this started the dr told us not to let her cry or get hot- which are triggers for an episode.) These are also variables I cannot control. Im trying to modify what I can until they can figure it out. She has a pediatric pulmonologist, pediatric asthma doc, and a pediatrician working on that... i'm just trying what little I can..and its not much.

She was upright as I could get her. I know she hates being confined. Her breathing episodes follow a pattern. She gets very very clingy and fussy when she doesn't have good air, if not corrected she goes limp. Never seen her go blue like that. I think the car seat got her worked up, then it cascaded from there. I think poor air circulation doesn't help...?? Maybe why she does some better FF...?

I plan on buying another seat FF and if we are in this situation again, pulling over and putting her in FF seat real quick.

Also, yes it was tethered.

Do you know if a Radian will fit in a 08 malibu?

Last edited:

Numommy

If for some reason I HAD to have a 1 year old forward-facing, I'd illegally import a Kiddy seat. That's what I'd do if it was my kid and there was some medical reason he HAD to forward-face. But I'd try everything in my power to keep him rear-facing first.

I m sorry...what is a kiddy seat?

Numommy

So there is no way to know what seat is "safer" than other seats since they all meet the same standard. That being said, Sunshine Kids does release their test results and they get very good head excursion numbers. If I had to ff young, I would do so in a radian.

Do I need a radian xtsl? They are 300 with 20 percent off at albeebaby and eitecarseats. That's like 240 is that pretty good?

DahliaRW

All the radians have the same basic shell. The XT has the headwings to help provide additional side impact protection. Whether that's worth the price to you over the 65sl or 80sl is up to you.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
There is no way to answer your question. All seats meet the same basic criteria in order to be sold. Beyond that....we have yearly NHTSA testing numbers, and we have companies like sunshine kids, who release their testing numbers to the public, but no real way of knowing what seat is "safer". The biggest variable is that we obviosuly can not know how or when you will get into a crash, or what that crash will be...for example, a side impact crash is very different than a frontal impact, and some seats might have features that would protect a child better in one type of crash over the other. Personally, I wouldn't want a barely 1 year old in a radian..it installs stark upright. I'd probably go for something more like a myride, which is angled back like a RFing seat, except FFing. It will help with head excursion numbers, and also take some of the force off the neck and put it onto the pelvis.
But, as has been said, if it were MY kid, I'd get a shield booster like a kiddy seat, or I would borrow/purchase an older vehicle or truck with no airbag so i could put her in the front next to me, but RFing. In fact, when my dd started having issues and was eventually diagnosed with asthma, I DID keep her in the front seat of my pre-airbags van until I knew what was going on. I sympathize, even though it sounds like my dd's simple asthma is much less severe than whatever issues you are having.

ETA - I just found out you have a blvd. That's a fine seat to use. No need to buy another one.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I m sorry...what is a kiddy seat?

It's a German/European brand, that uses a special foam shield instead of a harness to restrain the child. It leads to less strain on the neck in case of a crash than a harness, which is why I'd prefer it if one of my children HAD to forward-face so young. Here's a video with animation: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-dhlo2wqKY"]YouTube- Kiddy Carseat best safety protection System[/ame]

As I said, it is ILLEGAL to use a European seat in America. To do so is a personal decision and one I don't advocate under normal circumstances; there could potentially be risks incurred (legal, monetary, etc.) in doing so. I would ONLY do this in the case that I had tried everything in my power to keep my 1 year old rear-facing, and there was simply no safe way to do so for some medical reason.

ETA: if a vehicle without front airbag is available, I would rear-face in the front in a heartbeat before forward-facing. In my state, even though we have a "kids under 6 or 60 must be in the back seat" law, it would even be legal to do so if I got a doctor's note.

Shaunam

In the future, the most appropriate response would be to stop, call 911, get her out of her seat, and stimulate her :thumbsup:

Absolutely. My DD has chronic lung disease and dysphagia. She desats, aspirates, the whole nine yards. I kept a mirror on the back seat so I could see her and just pulled over when things got bad. You have to plan for extra time to get places, but it is worth it. I still have to do this even though she ff'ing most of the time now because ff'ing did not fix the problem. We still have to pull over and help her clear her airway.

Maedze

I'm really not seeing the connection between this and forward facing.

Driving 85-100 miles per hour put you ALL at risk, much more so than the direction of the seat she was riding in. AND you put innocent people, who committed no crime other than the misfortune to be in your path, at risk.

Your husband could have hurt or killed people by driving recklessly and to endanger.

If your child has breathing problems, stop, remove her from the vehicle, stimulate her to breathe and dial 911. Leave the response driving to the professionals and the correctly marked vehicles.

Minimize your driving (because it's fairly clear to me that your responses when you feel your child is in danger are not positive ones), and keep your child's seat rear facing. You haven't said anything that leads me to believe that forward facing the seat will change the situation.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
IIRC, they want her forward-facing so they can more easily see if shes's having breathing issues. I would continue to rear-face in the truck with the airbag off for now. Was the other issue that you're pregnant and will eventually need a vehicle with a backseat? When are you due? Is there a chance that your daughter's medical issues will be under control by then? What about using a breathing monitor?

I agree, though, that driving 85+ MPH is extremely dangerous and irresponsible. Call 911.

I hope you're able to find some answers soon, both for transportation and your daughter's health. It must be very scary and frustrating not having answers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC