Question Moving to Australia from the USA - can I still use my car seats?

U

Unregistered

I have a 6yo in a Compass booster and am in need of buying another seat for my 2.5yo as his Marathon is about to expire. I don't want to waste my $ getting a seat here only to get to Australia and find out my seats aren't allowed and that I have to buy Australian seats. Anyone know if I can use my American seats or if I'll have to replace them? Thank you!

ADS

finn

No you cant use your US seats in Australia, all seats in Australia have to have meet the Australian standards, in saying that though Australia doesn't have any high weight harnessed seats, they all harness to 18kg/40lbs, so if it were me I would buy a hwh seat for your younger child and use it illegally.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. I see that you're from NZ and are using Britax seats - is it the same way there? Do you have to use them illegally? What are the repercussions if I'm found out to be doing that? And is there a problem with my Compass booster, or should that be okay?

Sorry to ask more questions - I really want to make sure this is well-planned, and our time is short.

Bella_a1

I'm in Australia and no you aren't allowed to use your US seats. I use a Radian RF illegally but that is the choice I make if I was you I would buy seats that will last you and bring them with you. Where in Oz are you moving to?

leebeeag

Im in Australia also. All my sons are currently riding in American seats(DS3-MA[13kgs=ERF] & DS1[23kgs] &2[21kgs]-Regents). Aussie child restraints only harness to 18kgs. I agree with previous poster..purchase the seats you need and bring them with you. Australian seats suck

My friends children around the same age as my kids are FF at 6-9months and no carseat from approx 3-4yrs.:eek:

U

Unregistered

I'm in Australia and no you aren't allowed to use your US seats. I use a Radian RF illegally but that is the choice I make if I was you I would buy seats that will last you and bring them with you. Where in Oz are you moving to?

Ahh, good to know. Then I'll go ahead and get another seat - my childrens' safety is worth breaking the law, I think.

I'm moving to the Clayton, Melbourne area. My husband just found out a couple days ago he got the job, and we have to be out of our current apartment in three weeks. Yeah, my time to get us ready is VERY short. But we're unbelievably excited - this is a dream come true for me.

finn

Thanks for the reply. I see that you're from NZ and are using Britax seats - is it the same way there? Do you have to use them illegally? What are the repercussions if I'm found out to be doing that? And is there a problem with my Compass booster, or should that be okay?

Sorry to ask more questions - I really want to make sure this is well-planned, and our time is short.

My Britax are European, which are legal here. NZ accepts more standards than Australia. I am taking my Radian over when we visit Australia next month and I will use it illegally :whistle:

Adventuredad

Aussie seats have the great disadvantage of having a very low rear facing limit. Your 2.5 year old sitting rear facing would be a huge safety advantage compared to forward facing in a harnessed seat.

Using US or EU seats are not legal in Australia but risk of anyone noticing is basically zero.

May I please ask how tall and heavy your 2.5 year old is?

msg221

Unfortunately, everyone is right about Australian seats. I have several aunts, an uncle and many cousins who live there. I was shocked when I saw a pic of my cousin's great nephew forward facing--at 6 months old!!!! I e-mailed her and asked about it and that is when she told me they are allowed to forward face them that young!

lenats31

[quoteAussie seats have the great disadvantage of having a very low rear facing limit. ][/quote]

AMEN to that!

The have good forwardfacing seats - good but no better than the rest of the world, which means that rearfacing seats are still 5 times better:)

delgirrrl

In your situation I would definitely take my US seats over. No, as already said, they won't be legal. But with RF limits of 12kg and FF limits of 18kg, (and small shells too), I'd say the last thing you want for a 2.5yo is to buy an Australian seat. The Australian Standard is very high, and they're good seats, just small ones. My son at 2 yrs 2 mths outgrew by height, as well as weight the tallest harness height seat available in Australia.

A number of Australian and New Zealand parents have elected to import and use US seats that are not legal - It comes down to personal beliefs about breaking the rules vs protecting your kids. Sadly they're not always the same thing!:twocents:

Bella_a1

Hope you have a great move. Australia is a lovely place (we moved here from New Zealand last year) I am sure you will love it here.

On your way to Melbourne can you stop by Brisbane and drop a Frontier 85 off for me, lol.

Must get one of those shipped for DD who is over the 18kg weight for her Australian seat. She has just turned four and I have to put her in a seatbelt booster if I don't import.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC