Need More Carseat Advice...

Chely7425

Ok, I am sure you guys are all sick of my car seat issues but between finicky kids and a picky hubby and a stupid Liberty back seat they just keep popping up!! To recap... we have 2 toddlers with a baby on the way. We have a SR35 that will go behind the driver's seat for the baby, so that DH's driving position is only messed with when the baby is in the car (he is deploying soon after the birth and I will be getting a van while he is gone so this will only be a few times). DS1 is 27 months, 32 pounds and 37 inches (apparently he lost a few pounds and grew a few inches in the past 6 months?) and is RF in a CA. DS2 is 13 months, 26 pounds and 31 inches and is RF in a Scenera.

Now the issue... DS1 HATES the CA RF. Hates with a passion. Complains the crotch buckle hurts his penis (and manual states can't use the outermost position RF) and he has very little leg room and just.. hates it. Doesn't mind being RF, just hates this seat. DS2 doesn't seem to care about anything car seat related, as long as you feed him he is happy as a clam. Is there ANY way to fit a seat with more leg room in this configuration? Something DS1 will be more comfortable in? I am hesitant to get a Radian because we are planning on trading in the Jeep for a Sienna and have heard some not so good things about installing them in that vehicle.

If you got through all that THANK YOU!!

ADS

Chely7425

Anybody? Having finally got DH to agree to leave DS1 RF (and actually agreeing that it IS like a recliner in the car) I really would like to NOT hear "mommy tevors penis hurts" over and over on car rides...

DahliaRW

My ds2 is 35ish lbs and 38" and doesn't complain about the CA crotch strap (or he didn't while rfing) or the leg room. I think some kids are just more sensitive than others.

Have you tried the avenue?

Chely7425

My ds2 is 35ish lbs and 38" and doesn't complain about the CA crotch strap (or he didn't while rfing) or the leg room. I think some kids are just more sensitive than others.

Have you tried the avenue?

I haven't tried the Avenue... do you think it would puzzle in there well? I would probably take out the Scenera, put DS2 in the CA and mr complainer in the Avenue if I did that. I am so sick of shopping for car seats! It is rather frustrating because I totally know what I want but I can't fit it...

Chely7425

DS1 is too big for the Scenera... he has a long torso and a giant head (a cute head... but giant nonetheless) so that isn't really an option. Plus he is so close to the weight limit I would obsessively weighing him every 2 seconds. Though... maybe he fits in it different RF than FF, if that is the case then picking up one of the 40 pounds weight limit ones might get use thru the next 6 months till we get a van.

Keeanh

I don't have a CA, but maybe a tech could chime in on the crotch strap position & RF. If I'm reading right, you're saying that you could move the strap out to give him more room, but the manual says you can't while RF. Is that right?

If so, Q to techs: Is there a safety reason for this, or is this somewhere that parental discretion could be used?

OP, is the strap really too tight, or is this something that could be fixed with some "psychology"? If it's not really tight, but he's got it in his head that he hates it touching, would it work to slide a cut-off baby sock around the crotch strap and tell him you fixed it with a strap cover? Kinda like how you fix a bruise with a band-aid ;).

featherhead

I don't have a CA, but maybe a tech could chime in on the crotch strap position & RF. If I'm reading right, you're saying that you could move the strap out to give him more room, but the manual says you can't while RF. Is that right?

If so, Q to techs: Is there a safety reason for this, or is this somewhere that parental discretion could be used?

OP, is the strap really too tight, or is this something that could be fixed with some "psychology"? If it's not really tight, but he's got it in his head that he hates it touching, would it work to slide a cut-off baby sock around the crotch strap and tell him you fixed it with a strap cover? Kinda like how you fix a bruise with a band-aid ;).

I'm pretty sure the crotch strap cannot be in the outermost position while rear-facing because it would interfere with the routing of the seatbelt/LATCH. The "band-aid" solution might be something to try though:)

Chely7425

Yeah, there IS a 3rd slot for the crotch strap... but is says in the manual you have to use the 1st or 2nd for RF, not sure why. I did just learn I can take out this extra cushion thing that is in there so that might help a little... I would REALLY like to know if I can use that 3rd slot for the crotch buckle though...

DahliaRW

I'm pretty sure the crotch strap cannot be in the outermost position while rear-facing because it would interfere with the routing of the seatbelt/LATCH. The "band-aid" solution might be something to try though:)

That is exactly why (or so I was told). If you look at the seat, the latch or seatbelt covers that position when installed rfing.

I hope taking out the hip cushion will solve the problem.

Oh, and I suggested the Avenue because it's supposed to be narrow like the scenera, but with a taller shell. So it might work for you if the CA won't.

finn

ds complains about the multi-tech & freeway hurting his penis, I figured out that I was tightening the straps too tight (thats the trouble with buttery smooth tighteners), so now I tighten them then loosen them off just a little.

ds likes the radian but only because he can flip his feet over the side, if I have a tight 3 across then he's not as keen. I personally dont love it, but I love that it fits, I hate the chest clip (i'm used to seats without it), the install, the tightening mechanism & the fact that I have to re-thread the straps onto that stupid tiny splitter plate, oh and it weighs a ton, but apart from that it is great and ds chooses to ride in it, over the freeway or multi tech.

Chely7425

I would totally be game for trying a radian but we are planning in trading in the jeep for a van in 6 months and I've heard so so things about the radian installs in the vehicle we are hoping to get

Chely7425

i would get a true fit premier..great seat and very comfy..my ds at 2 1/2 is rear facing and very happy with lots of room..

I plan on it when we get our van in 6-ish months :D Right now we have 3 RF across the backseat of a Jeep Liberty so our options are really limited as to what fits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC