Looking for opinions for a friend

swtgi1982

This friend asked me for help. Their DD is 3yr old and 45lbs.

I asked the child's current seat, which they did not know so I looked myself while they were here (no child at that time). It is a chase, so harness outgrown by weight. They are not willing to buy a new seat. So, question is, if I can get them to use a HB turbo (on clearance now and can get them one cheap) which is properly used 100% of the time better then this chase in booster mode for this child. I know it is not best practice by no means, but she is very mature for her age and parents say she never sleeps in the car anymore not ever on their last 5hr trip. so falling asleep not an issue.

The kid would be safer either option when I leave tomorrow, then when the child first arrived, as harness is definitely outgrown. These people are the "we survived when we were kids with no seats, why does my child need one?" people. So getting them even to keep her in a booster (which is law until 8 here) will be fun.

Also they can never seem to get a harness seat in tight no matter how many times I show them how, so we are talking even a high weight harness seat being used improper here if I got them one. they never use top tether even thought they have it. Belt was not even locked at all holding seat down today. Even though they have been shown like 6times how to lock it.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
This friend asked me for help. Their DD is 3yr old and 45lbs.

If she's not willing to buy a new seat, what exactly did she ask you for help with? :confused: If she won't buy a new seat, her only option is to remove the harness from the Chase and use it as a booster. Not ideal, but better than an outgrown (by a lot) harness.

If you are willing to buy him the high-back Turbo, it would most likely fit him better than the Chase would. Again, not ideal, but I'd probably rather see him in the high-back Turbo than the Chase in booster mode, if possible.
:twocents:

swtgi1982

If she's not willing to buy a new seat, what exactly did she ask you for help with? :confused: If she won't buy a new seat, her only option is to remove the harness from the Chase and use it as a booster. Not ideal, but better than an outgrown (by a lot) harness.

If you are willing to buy him the high-back Turbo, it would most likely fit him better than the Chase would. Again, not ideal, but I'd probably rather see him in the high-back Turbo than the Chase in booster mode, if possible.
:twocents:

I know it is not ideal, but I know they will at least use it right every time. They can not even get the harnessed seat in right ever. It is DH best friend who asked for help. They have only the one child and want more but have been unable to. So I just want to help them the best I can to keep her as safe as I can. And if that means a properly used booster instead of a grossly misused harnessed seat, I will have to go with the lesser of two evils. But I will also inform them that they should get the other harnessed seat of course. But I want her safe until they can afford that option.

Mommy0608

That's a tough situation, but I have to agree with Andrea. Make sure the screws are in the armrests of the Turbo, if you go that route. ;)

Boosters are easier to misuse than you might think... give them a quick demo so they know how to place the belt properly on the child (under armrests, not behind child's back, etc.)

Maedze

I will disagree with you. I do not think technicians should be purchasing seats for children particularly when the seat is not correct for the child. I would NEVER advocate putting a child in a booster, and I would never advocate a technician buying a booster for a three year old. Give the parents information. Let her know she MUST discontinue use of Chase in harnessed mode and that the only smart thing to do is purchase a HWH seat. But it's not your job to provide a sub-standard seat for her with your pocket money.

swtgi1982

I will disagree with you. I do not think technicians should be purchasing seats for children particularly when the seat is not correct for the child. I would NEVER advocate putting a child in a booster, and I would never advocate a technician buying a booster for a three year old. Give the parents information. Let her know she MUST discontinue use of Chase in harnessed mode and that the only smart thing to do is purchase a HWH seat. But it's not your job to provide a sub-standard seat for her with your pocket money.

I was not actually buying it. They have one they bought. They since this thread started got their in laws to purchased the turbo for the child on clearance for like 25. My DH does not transport DD at all anymore, just once in a blue moon, which for that I am fine putting a seat in his car for her, so we maybe giving them our maestro. It is all up in the air right now. The only issue I had with the harnessed seat is they move it between both grandmas cars and both their cars and can never get an install anywhere near tight, and why we were leaning towards the booster since there is no real install just buckling it. The child's grandparents bought her the HB turbo when target had them clearance. We are just trying to make the best of a bad situation until they can afford an appropriate seat.

Right now her father only has a temp job and trying to get back bill paid from when he was unemployed. They are relying on family members and friends to put food on the table right now. They are in a bad place right now.

Maedze

Ohhhhhhh. I get it. :doh:

I thought you were saying you were going to buy a Turbobooster.

Hmmm, that's a tough one. While I don't think it's as egregious as the scenario I was originally envisioning, I don't think I would 'encourage' an inappropriate purchase. I think I would provide the information:

1. Bare minimum, the Chase must be switched to booster mode.
2. The Chase does not make a good booster.
3. Three year olds are not safe in boosters.
4. You need to buy a harnessed seat.

swtgi1982

Ohhhhhhh. I get it. :doh:

I thought you were saying you were going to buy a Turbobooster.

Hmmm, that's a tough one. While I don't think it's as egregious as the scenario I was originally envisioning, I don't think I would 'encourage' an inappropriate purchase. I think I would provide the information:

1. Bare minimum, the Chase must be switched to booster mode.
2. The Chase does not make a good booster.
3. Three year olds are not safe in boosters.
4. You need to buy a harnessed seat.

Yes thanks, I am just trying to make the best out a of not good situation all over. They are saving what they can to get a HWH seat, just can not right now. I am trying to keep her safe within their means at this point. I am not even sure the Turbo is new, I think her in laws got it from her (the mother's sister) sister from their daughter from what I just got from him. He is on FB right now chatting with me. They are trying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC