Serious Post. Please Read!

judesmommy

My son strangled himself on his RF tether today! Seriously! I want to tell everyone. I scared the C*ap out of me... I'm still kind of upset.

I had his Marathon installed rear facing in the center seat of a 2001 toyota corolla. It was installed with a seat belt and I had it using the rear facing tether attached to the structural part of the drivers seat.

It was hot and I got my son out of his car seat so he could sit on the grass or in the car while I unloaded groceries (and also a new car seat <--- irony)

I went to the trunk and left the back passenger door open. My son is 21 months old.

I probably shouldn't have let him sit in the back seat with me being behind the car in the trunk. But, it's hot, I'm exhausted and I seriously didn't think there was ANYTHING he could hurt himself on.

The next thing I knew he made a whine and then a funny noise.

I looked in the car and he had pushed his head behind the car seat, through the tether in between the plastic shell of the car seat and the front drivers seat. Hard to explain. Maybe I can take pictures showing a doll in the position.

He was stuck and choking on the tether. I had to hold his head up to keep him from choking and strangling. Luckily my mom was home and I screamed for her. She held his head and kept him from struggling (he was freaking out and thrashing around) and I unbuckled the car seat and the tether. In retrospect I probably could have just moved the front seat forward and eased him out. :hitselfonhead: But I was FREAKING out.

Anyways we got him out safe a sound. Just a couple of red marks on his head/face. I guess I need pictures to better explain. It all happened really fast. I plan on moving the car seat to the back passenger side....

ADS

mimieliza

How scary! What is it that possesses kids to stick their heads where they don't belong? DD once strangled herself with the carry straps on a collapsable laundry basket. Thankfully, she was able to scream before it got too tight for her to make a loud noise, and I came running. Scared the crap out of me (and her for that matter).

judesmommy

Will get pics by Monday evening. Right now we are taking my NEW 35.99 Avenue from Kmart and going to the beach :)

It was terrifying. Shame on me for letting him play in the car though..... :mad:

I'm going to post pictures of the Avenue compared to the 3-in-one too...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC