fit a Radian rfing in a Jetta?

corrielainedd

I have a 1997 Jetta TDI. We have a True Fit rfing in the middle right now (with the headrest). We are due with #2 in Oct, and can fit an infant seat back there pretty well (at least a Snugride). But when #2 is needing to move to a convertable, we'd like to move her to the TF, and get a Radian (XLSD? ) for DD#1, so she can stay rfing longer, and in a 5 point longer as well.
Can you fit a Radian rfing in a Jetta on the side seats? DD will be probably almost 3 by then, so a more upright angle is ok.

Anyone near Bowling Green KY have a Radian I can try in my car?:2thumbsup:

Or what else do you suggest for extended rfing in a Jetta? (the TF will only fit in the middle with the headrest)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A Complete Air would probably work very well.

It's the XTSL. Lots of letters. :)

The XTSL doesn't harness forward facing any longer than the True Fit. The top slots are the same height on both seats.

Wendy

corrielainedd

A Complete Air would probably work very well.

It's the XTSL. Lots of letters. :)

The XTSL doesn't harness forward facing any longer than the True Fit. The top slots are the same height on both seats.

Wendy

Ive tried out the Complete Air at BRU, and didnt like how DD fit in it, it really made her head slump forward:confused: I couldnt get it to install on their bench seat correctly at all (with the seat belt), but I didnt have a noodle or anything. We dont have latch things in the Jetta, so i didnt even try it in the store. I do like the CA for what it is, and I like the air pillows, but i dont think it would work well for us...:(

The XTSL might have the same harness settings as the TF, but it FFs to 80lbs, the TF only to 65lbs. My DH and I arent very tall, and DD wont be eighter (20th % for her age), so having a higher weight limit would suit better, as I think she would outgrow the 65lbs before the height of the seat.

And, I cant get the TF to install RFing with the headrest on the side seats at an acceptible angle, without it bracing against the front seats.

Thanks tho!:thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's the RARE child who will get to 80 pounds in a Radian. Overall short, short torsoed, AND chunky for their weight. My daughter (now around the 25% for height) outgrew the Radian by torso height probably close to a year ago, maybe a bit less, around 42 pounds.

The Britaxes fit in small cars, and allow bracing, but they're shorter in top slot and overall height than the True Fit. Even the new ones.

I've gotten the old style Radian boot rear facing behind the passenger in an Audi A4, but that's a bit bigger than a Jetta. Plus you have an older body style.

Wendy

corrielainedd

It's the RARE child who will get to 80 pounds in a Radian. Overall short, short torsoed, AND chunky for their weight. My daughter (now around the 25% for height) outgrew the Radian by torso height probably close to a year ago, maybe a bit less, around 42 pounds.

The Britaxes fit in small cars, and allow bracing, but they're shorter in top slot and overall height than the True Fit. Even the new ones.

I've gotten the old style Radian boot rear facing behind the passenger in an Audi A4, but that's a bit bigger than a Jetta. Plus you have an older body style.

Wendy

Ive thought about the Britax seats.. Now that they have newer models with higher rfing limits... I may go try one in my car when the new ones are in the stores:thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The newer ones have a higher weight limit, but a shorter shell than the older ones. And their shells weren't exactly super tall to begin with. Depending on how her growth looks, it may do you to get a taller one with a 35 pound limit rather than a shorter one with a 40 pound rear facing weight limit.

Wendy

corrielainedd

Question about the new Britax seats... the "energy absorbing Versa-tether", is that just for use for FF, or is it also used for rfing? (like anchoring to the back of the front seats)
I think Ive seen pics on here at some point of a Britax RFing with the versa tether being used

corrielainedd

The newer ones have a higher weight limit, but a shorter shell than the older ones. And their shells weren't exactly super tall to begin with. Depending on how her growth looks, it may do you to get a taller one with a 35 pound limit rather than a shorter one with a 40 pound rear facing weight limit.

Wendy

Ill keep that in mind:thumbsup: Itll be atleast another year before we will need to start looking at seats, my head is just thinking way ahead....:p

I guess DD could FF by then if need be.... but if I can keep from it:D We'll see where we'r at by then:thumbsup:

Thanks for your advice:thumbsup:

theannex2

I have a 98 Jetta, same body style as your 97. I've never tried to have 2 RF seats in it since my DH and I are both tall, and need the driver seat far back enough that no seat could RF behind it. On the passenger side, I have fit a Britax Marathon RF, and currently have an Uptown (the current version of that is the Safety 1st Avenue.) In both cases, the front seat is pushed far enough forward that someone can sit there, but not very comfortably. I rarely have an adult passenger, so it's no big deal to me.

DS is inching near the 35 lb RF limit on his Uptown, so like you I am thinking about what will keep him RF in this car longer and still fit.... It was much easier to install my now-expired Marathon RF in the Jetta with the belt than my Uptown. I think the higher base on the MA was more compatible with the type of buckle stalk in the Jetta (long, don't twist down so can get "stuck" in seats like the Uptown with lower RF belt paths.) When I sniff around new seats, my guess is I will need to end up with one with a higher base of some sort if I want a good install.

kalamos23

I had a Radian XT RFing in our 87 Jetta behind the passenger - I'm 5'10" with 35" in inseam legs, and it was NOT fun behind the driver side, I felt like I was driving with my boobs. However, it was okay in the pass. seat - let me see if I have pics of it in there.

dmpmercury

I have the wagon so it might be a little bigger front to back but I can fit two rear facing radians if I tried. I have one in the center right now and the angle it is installed at would fit behind the passenger but not with enough room for my dh to drive. I tried the complete air once when I was at BRU and it actually took up more room than I thought in the Jetta. It would fit center or outboard but not behind the driver. The marthon or boulevard fits great but I do not know how the newly designed seats will fit. The radian really installs great in the Jetta. It has short buckle stalks and even with leather I can get close to a 30 degree angle with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC