Child improperly restrained in CNN Heros clip

MommytoHHH

I was watching CNN late last night because I couldn't fall alseep and I saw a clip on their current CNN Hero. She does work to help pair up expectant mothers with a "big sister" in an area where infant mortality is unusually high. I applaud her work, but I was horrified to see in the clip that a "big sister" goes off and drives a small toddler in her car with what looks like a no-back booster. He is slumped over in the seat. I thought maybe someone here could provide CNN with some info and let them know that this is not only extremely dangerous, but also illegal. Perhaps they could help find some car seats for these mothers. Here's the clip. It's close to the end, after the mother in the red/white striped shirt answers the door.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2010/07/22/cnnheroes.hall.trujillo.profile.cnn

ADS

msg221

:eek: My jaw dropped seeing that. How could they think that baby even remotely fit in that seat?

MommytoHHH

I know. Like I said, I saw it last night in bed. When I saw it, I thought... wait, is that baby in a moving car? Seriously? So when I had time to get on the computer today I had to look it up.

MommytoHHH

I would like to write a letter, but I'm by no means a car seat expert and I don't have any credentials. I'm sure they would take it more seriously coming from someone who knows what they are talking about. It needs to be addressed. The fact that that clip was even included in the short video shows that multiple people must have been oblivious to the problem. And I would hate for viewers to think that it is acceptable.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I suppose you could use Safety Belt Safe's Media Reporting Form. They are GREAT about advocacy to educate about misuse and stuff; in this case, perhaps they'd be able to provide educational information to the organization involved so that their members can have resources for proper use.

MommytoHHH

Ooh, maybe I will just write straight to the organization. I might try to write something later and post it here, and you guys can help with it? Unless there's a tech out there willing to write them...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC