My perdicament.... pics

horseymom

I took some pics of DD in her FR lastnight. Some days she seems to have more room than others? I'm thinking she has about 1/2 " before she's even. How long will she last is the Million dollar question. I would like to wait until the new cover FRXT come out in September. But I may not have that long.:thumbsdown:
I have asked her if she would like a seat with a harness or just a belt like mommy and daddy. She told me she wants a harness so she feels safe. That being said she has only ever sat in a booster in the store, and even then she didn't like the "unsafe" feel of it (her words)

So here they are, what's your opinions?

SDC11024.jpg

SDC11020.jpg

SDC11021.jpg

SDC11022.jpg

SDC11023.jpg

ADS

Maedze

I don't think you have half an inch :eek: Maybe a centimeter. In fact, in the last picture she looks like she has no growing room at all.

ETA: shoulders are sloped. When you're estimating growth you need to do it from the high part of the shoulder, not the lowest part.

tiggercat

I think she's pretty darn close. One tiny growth spurt and she's too tall for the harness.
I'd try her in the seat in the vehicle in booster mode (just sitting in the parking lot) and see how she feels. It is different just sitting in it in the store vs. a vehicle.

horseymom

Thanks to the 2 of you for your opinions. I'd thought I'd get a few more. So would you feel comfortable with her like that? If I double checked every day?

glockchick

I think it looks too close too. I just moved my girls up from looking like that. But I'm not a tech so I left it to them to give opinions. ;)

ginny4

oh my no room really at all.....you'll have to check nearly daily on her fit. it's time to get her very ready for a booster. for a little more secure feel for her can you lock the belt in booster mode?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
She's pretty close.

She's six? Harness if you want, but reassure her that boosters are indeed safe (they are!): someday she'll need to be in one, and she should feel safe in her seat.

Evolily

It looks like she might make it to her birthday harnessed :eek: . But, for me, I'd just switch to booster mode now.

Scary how these kids are growing up so fast!

Pixels

Can't tell at all with the picture zoomed in so close. You have to look at whether the slot is above or below, relative to the ground. Not perpindicular to the shell. It's on page 8 of the FR85 manual (I'm not sure if you have the FR80 or FR85).

horseymom

It's a Frontier not the FRXT. I'll take another picture tomorrow from a further distance. She will be 6 in a couple of weeks.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm sure you have till September if you really want to go to an FRXT. I've documented (well, you know, taken way, way too many random pictures, lol) my kids at the tops of their harnesses and going over the top slots and it's just months longer than you'd really think they have, particularly if they are sitting up for the picture versus their normal comfy slouching in the car. The point at which you don't want to be OVER the top slots is when they can actually lean forward and would have increased head excursion in the car, but as long as the harness is holding the *back*, then it's not a problem (Also in smaller seats, going over the top slots may mean the head is not being supported against whiplash, if the shell isn't high enough to catch the back of the head).

Can you order the Secure Guard clip in Canada? That might help her feel more comfy in a seatbelt and be cheaper than the XT :)

firemomof3

I was also going to suggest the safeguard clip and tighten the seatbelt for her & lock it. This will giver her a pretty secure feeling & she may like it :thumbsup:

steph_s

At her age I would rather see her in a booster than the frontier being that close and questionable to the top slots. It looks in some of the pictures like she is directly at the slots and possibly over them. Boosters are very safe if she will sit properly in one and FAR safer than spinal compression from the harness being below her shoulders.

I want to second the parkway sg! My son hates boosters, says he doesn't feel safe, but will gladly ride in the pkwy sg because of that sg clip if someone else must use his Regent or if he is riding in another car. Just don't ask him to ride in any other style of booster seat because he will freak out. Since you already have the frontier can you get the sg clip so she feels secure in her seat?

If your truly unsure about the fit try sticking a plastic knife in the hole where the strap comes out after she has settled into the seat (like say at a red light) and see if it's above or at her shoulders. I use a plastic knife instead of a real one because the plastic ones don't have thicker handles where you start to wonder if they have just a smidgen left because of it.

all together ooky

Gwen looks just like that in her Frontier. When she sits up. When we are driving she sinks a little. I wish a had a little more room, but since she's 6 and 50lbs I don't feel bad about boostering her. She does pretty well at it. Sometimes when she's tired though it's nice to have the harness. I'll be taking out the harness (again-I keep going back and forth) this week. Probably for good.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
At her age I would rather see her in a booster than the frontier being that close and questionable to the top slots. It looks in some of the pictures like she is directly at the slots and possibly over them. Boosters are very safe if she will sit properly in one and FAR safer than spinal compression from the harness being below her shoulders.

Have you seen any data proving to spinal compression issues with harnessed seats? I never have, and I don't think it's a problem with children at top slots, much as Britax has said for literally years that you can keep using the top slots till the ears are even with the seatback, and the Radian says that, and Australian seats have always had that rule (shoulders may go an inch over the slots). I used to worry about spinal compression injuries, but where is the data? :confused:

horseymom

I really, really appreciate all of your posts! thank you :) I kept her in it today of course she is the same as 2 days ago. We don't have really anywhere to go this week so I'll keep checking her everytime we get in. I so wish I had latch to latch that sucker in for booster mode but I suppose the tether will help from it floping around (I'll of course buckle it in when she's not in it.) I must say harness is so nice she can get her self done up and out of it no problem. :p

These kids of mine are growing up too fast! DD is growing out of the seat which I thought would last her a bit longer and DS is 33lbs and almost ready to be FF!:eek:

oohh and I'll be sure to re-take some further away pics tomorrow, we were at the airshow all day and kiddos are dead tired not mention sleeping at 6:30pm :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC