What do you do with expired car seats?

MommyO

So maybe this has been addressed previously, but I was just wondering, are there good uses for expired car seats?

I generally try to do follow recycle, reuse, reduce philosophy...but of course not at the expense of my LO's safety.

That said, is there someplace that recycles old car seats or uses them for teaching or something?? What do you do with them once they've expired?

BTW, my mom thinks that the concept of an expiration date on a car seat is absurd...I just remind her she also has mustard that is 5 yrs old in her fridge...and I'd never touch that, either! :)

ADS

Wiggles

The expired seats I've collected are currently being used as a 'baby gate' of sorts. We've got a houseguest who's a year old that we don't want in our kitchen, so we've set up a barricade to slow him down getting into it so we can dash across the living room to get him.

Eventually, I'm going to make a 'tree' of cat beds/climber thing for the cats out of them.

Pixels

You can contact a local CPST-Instructor and offer them the seats for training. When I had one (new, but crashed), I emailed every instructor in the state. One coalition (half the state) won't accept used seats for training, but there was an instructor in the other coalition who happily took the seat.

Some new seats have the recycling symbol stamped into the plastic, I believe, and may be recyclable at normal recycling facilities once all the soft stuff is off (remove foam, straps, cover, etc).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I collect them for people in my area and pass them along to be recycled. I've got a crashed one on my porch, and as it happens I need an infant seat for teaching, so I'm going to keep that one (and it's special to me. I helped check it a year or so ago, and the mom was in a bad crash. The police officer said the seat made a world of difference for their outcome. So yay!).

Wendy

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I collect them for people in my area and pass them along to be recycled. I've got a crashed one on my porch, and as it happens I need an infant seat for teaching, so I'm going to keep that one (and it's special to me. I helped check it a year or so ago, and the mom was in a bad crash. The police officer said the seat made a world of difference for their outcome. So yay!).

Wendy

Yep, they come south, to me. I collect them and take truck loads to recycling. I have to take the covers, harnesses and foam off. I try to document what I take too.

NannyMom

I'd heard there was a small carseat recylcing program in my area. So, I called and they said that in my county I could put it out with the regular recycling (which I will, after it's dismantled and chopped up). I currently have 2 yard sale turbo boosters that I'm hoping Safe Kids will want for training (hmmm...teach new techs about the missing screws?)

sharsachan

my 2 yr old is pretty sure my infant seat [that was in a crash and will be destroyed] is a great reclining chair to watch his Elmo and SpongeBob in :)

seat.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC