I'm confused.. saw an 86-Y today

monstah

When I jumped out at Dunks this morning, the car next to me had an 86-Y. While I was peering into the window an older gentleman went to get into the car so I asked him about it. He was super sweet and even opened the back door up for me so I could see it better. He explained that it was for his 10 year old grandson who is epileptic.

Here's where the confusion set in... It was attached to the factory top tether (a Nissan) would a 10 year old still be under the weight limit? Also, the seat it was in had a lap / shoulder belt. I thought the 86-Y was for lap only?

Let me explain what it looked like: Two black harness straps attached together at the top where it attached to the TT anchor. There was an IMMI chest clip, a harness adjuster on each harness strap and at the bottom of both harness straps there was a loop. (For the lap belt, I assume.)

ADS

Pixels

It can be used with lap/shoulder if they use a locking clip. I just skimmed the manual, I think it said up to 66 pounds with the factory tether. Crap, now I have to go look it up.

Pixels

I was wrong, they say to follow vehicle manufacturer limits. Nissan says follow the restraint manufacturer limits; owner's manuals say their TAs should never be used with adult seat belts or harnesses. Clear as mud.

When there's a carseat that defers to the vehicle, and vehicle that defers to the car seat, my personal rule is 48 pounds. That's the weight that many carseats use, and the weight that many vehicles use.

monstah

Thank you. :thumbsup: I didn't see a locking clip anywhere but that doesn't mean he didn't have one. Too bad about the TT though. Hopefully, I will see him at Dunks again. Now I know too look for the black Nissan. :p
*If* I do ever see him again. Is there anything else I should mention? The grandfather was sweet as can be and we were laughing our butts off. Normally I would never give unsolicited advice but I am pretty sure he wanted me to. I just never saw an 86-Y before, and was terrified of giving him wrong info. (I did tell him I am a tech and that I had never seen one before.)

Pixels

Locking clip should be near the buckle, like with any other child restraint. Then lap and shoulder belts get routed together through the loops.

Was there a booster? If so, the shoulder belt gets routed just like the lap belt. Both lap and shoulder belts go under both arm rests (generally speaking, they both go wherever the belt path is).

A third percentile 10yo boy would weigh 50 pounds. Average weight is about 55. 97th percentile is 60. A booster is required for 40-65 pounds; 66-168 pounds, no booster. The chest clip is required for 40-65 pounds; optional 66-168.

Pixels

Manual seems to indicate no booster after 65, but it's not real explicit. I think a call to the manufacturer is in order.

brooklynsmommy

Ok so once they go over the TT limit, what are they supposed to do? I know with older vehicles you can put your own heavy duty one in to begin with. What about newer ones though?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My old 86-Y had an 80 pound limit before you had to use the heavy duty top tether anchor..and my almost 11 year old isn't quite 80, and she's not very thin, either, I think 80 is the 'average' weight of the 'average' 11 year old... Hmm... well, anyway, at 66 or whatever pounds, you have to buy their heavy duty anchor (it comes with the harness, actually), and find another acceptable place to drill a larger hole to mount the thicker bolt. I hear that companies that do conversion vans and special needs conversions are often equipped to do that sort of work, I wonder if there are any of those places local to the OP to consult?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC