Would you bring back a European seat?

bigteamug

And if so, which one? What issues/difficulties/logistical problems would there be?

We're going to visit DH's family in western Europe, and I was contemplating bringing back a seat for one of DD's - probably DD2. The Kiddy seats look really interesting. And the exchange rate was pretty good last time I looked. And I'm frustrated by the lack of innovation in seats here.

I have her RF in a Radian XT now, but I am really frustrated by it. No matter how much I fuss with it, it always ends up reclining more over time. It happens so much, and tends to end up over-reclined - I'm about to flip the durn thing around, because I'm worried about it not having a good install in an accident. I have read all the threads on installing it (it is in with latch), getting it more upright, etc, and the install looks good at first, but degrades over time. :( Not an uncommon issue with ERF and that seat.

I feel guilty though, because DD is such a little peanut - just under 36" and about 25 lbs at 3.5 years. I'm not thrilled about FF her at that size. I know the Kiddy's are supposed to be better for FF than even the Radians with safe stop....

Thoughts? I do need a seat that will work for 3 across in a Prius....I was also thinking that a seat like the kiddy Pro Comfort would be really nice, as I can use it for many ages for carpooling.

ADS

northernmommy

I was also thinking that a seat like the kiddy Pro Comfort would be really nice, as I can use it for many ages for carpooling.

I don't know, but I'm jealous you can get a European seat!

I have to say though, I personally wouldn't have children who weren't mine ride in whichever seat you do decide on. As a parent, you can make the decision to use an illegal seat for your children, but I'd think you'd be opening yourself up to a whole lot of liability if you had other children ride in it :twocents:

bigteamug

I hadn't thought of the liability, though I was more thinking of the fact that I could quickly adapt it for DD1 to ride in, and have her friend ride in her HBB, or quickly remove the HBB and install a seat for a younger passenger. Of course, most of the people we carpool with have their kids in LBB, and they are all 1st-2nd graders, and really should be in a HBB anyways. Sigh.

Though I did just do a conversion calculator, and I'm not so sure how DH would feel about it - maybe the Euro will drop more before we go......

We'd have to try one somehow -I'd hate to spent that kind of money and have DD2 hate the feel of it.

I'm just mulling the idea, DD2 has also had kicking issues that FF would probably solve - I don't think she could reach DD1 so easily...I suppose I could put her back in the Blvd, but she is so squished in that, leg-wise, not to mention the hazard of me bonking her head when I put her in.

I'm really just trying to find a way to feel less guilty if I end up FF'ing her.

ctbcleveland

I would probably grab the Romer Vario for the sole reason that there isn't anything like it sold on the market, and I am conviced one day I will have a need for it. I like unique seats, like the safeguard go (have one) and combi zeus (don't have one).

With the addition of so many 40 lbs seats now, I am just less inclined to every buy anything from Europe.

I also like the idea of seats for older children that snap into a base. They make me a little nervous, but when I see the frequency of people needing to have relatives pick their kiddos up, I wish we had more options than just the orbit (cha ching!)

AtTheSouthDam

I'd bring back a Kiddy in a heart beat and use it for my 4 yo. I think she would love it. I just assumed you would treat it as checked baggage and bring it in it's box.

babyherder

I would use a different US seat for her to rf in. If she's tiny and a radian or a BV works in your 3 across it sounds like you have options. If not, I would ff in whatever you want and not feel guilty.

I agree with the PP who said not to put other people's children in European seats. Unless there was no other safe option I would not use illegal seats.

L

LuciaBella

I would bring back a Britax two way elite or a Multi-tech. Those seats RF to 25kgs (55lbs) and are amazing-gets the kids to at least 5/6 years. Most of the European seats only rear face to 18kgs, so you're better off to stick with the radian with the same limit.

finn

Having used European, Australian & American seats, I would definitely bring back a European seat, they are my favourite :love:

bigteamug

Looking things over, there are none of the really nice Britax/Romer's RF seats available where I am looking on the website. Closest thing is the first class plus, but it only RF to 13 kg, so she's almost out of it:

http://www.britax-roemer.com/car-seats/first-class-plus

Though they do have an intriguing armless booster that might be like the old Parkway or perhaps the Monarch?

http://www.britax-roemer.com/car-seats/adventure

And also ones that latch in:

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/kidfix

I wish I could find info about width - we need narrow. I had to re-install the Radian AGAIN yesterday. And of course, our car is a 2005, so bracing is a no-no. I am so frustrated by the lack of seats in the US that would meet my needs, a skinny HBB being a big issue. I like the crash test info on Radians, but I wish they'd make it easier to get a more upright install that would stay put. I guess I'll keep poking around and see what I come up with.

InternationalMama

In most of Europe the ERF seats are not available because most of Europe doesn't ERF. In countries where they are not available people may order directly from Sweden from websites like carseat.se. If you want to find retailers most are listed in the rear-facing.co.uk buyer's guide.

If you would like widths of ERF seats I'm sure Adventure Dad who owns carseat.se would be able to help you with the seats he sells. You could also post on the Canadian and International Issues forum. There are many people there who are knowledgeable about what is available in particular countries if you are wiling to disclose where exactly you will be traveling.

I personally choose to use legal seats in the countries I live in as long as there is a legal seat available that can safely restrain my child. I would not import a Kiddy seat unless there was absolutely no way that I could keep my very young child rear facing. I doubt I would import one for a 3.5 year old.

I also probably would not import a Kiddy seat for a child who might not like it. Some kids absolutely hate them. It could be an expensive gamble if you can't try it out first.

Kiddy has been talking about bringing their seats to the US although I am not sure how soon that will actually happen, if ever.

FWIW, I would absolutely not bother importing the Britax First Class. It is a heavy seat and has nothing to offer that seats here don't offer except I guess more protection against over rotation rear facing, although the Coccoro has the same possibility for an alternative seat belt routing.

ETA: Not sure if this has already been said, but it's worth remembering that size and weight don't determine safety forward facing in a harness. If you would feel comfortable forward facing a larger, heavy 3.5 year old you should feel just as comfortable forward facing your DD at that age.

ETA again: If she's under 36 inches, does she fit in the Coccoro rear facing? That's a narrow seat!

Maedze

A tiny 3 year old is no less safe forward facing than a big one.

I wouldn't import a seat to forward face a 3 1/2 year old. I'd use the seat I owned. :twocents:

gsdguenter

out of curiosity, for boosters, how do European and ours compare? I don't know a whole lot about them and wonder if they are any better "over there".

Evolily

I'd get a Romer Vario simply because it's something that I could see needing, I can't get it over here, and a version of it was once sold in this market (under the "Britax Laptop" name). The only way I'd currently buy a HWH seat is if I had a kid under 3 who was nearing 45 lbs, or somehow the Radian wouldn't work in my vehicle for a kid under 3 who was nearing 40 lbs.

InternationalMama

I'd get a Romer Vario simply because it's something that I could see needing, I can't get it over here, and a version of it was once sold in this market (under the "Britax Laptop" name).

This could be hard to find. I don't think Britax is making them anymore even in Europe.

Sorry, don't know much about boosters since my kid isn't there yet, but there are some good threads on them in the Canadian and International forum if you do a search.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC