fitting 3 seats in my 2002 caravan?

starlamay

Hi, I have a 2002 Dodge caravan (not grand caravan). we currently have three kids and i'm expecting again....the dr thinks it may be twins so here is my question! Does anyone own a 2002 caravan and have you fit 3 car seats in the back row? what car seats? We have two very wide bulky seats in there right now and i can't imagine ever being able to fit a third. I'm fine with buying three new seats if it means i dont' have to buy a new vehicle!!! Please help!! The stores here won't let me take three cars seats out of the boxes and install them before i buy them just to see if they fit...arggg.

ADS

kaceylauren

I have a Grand Caravan (which I know can be different), but that third row isn't exactly the widest. And my '05 only has the required one set of LATCH anchors back there. So if you get three seats in the third row, you'll want to make sure there's just one FF one and the other two should be rear facing since there are no additional tether anchors. I have gotten 3 Roundabouts in my back row before, puzzled. Radians are very narrow. Any seat that sits up high will do well with a seat that sits down low (I believe a Marathon/MyRide combo does well?)

I'm sure others will add more, but I just wanted to mention the LATCH thing since you'll want to tether any FF seats. Good luck! I have twins and they're a blast, by the way. ;)

kaceylauren

Also, anyone who has an idea to help you will want to know all the ages and heights/weights of your three kids. It will help a lot to see what might work with what you already have.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I have a 2002 Caravan and rest assure you can get 3 across easily. It will require atleast 1 radian. You will also want to look into a narrow infant seat (or 2) if it's twins. Or skip the infant seat and go to a well fitting convertible.

I would also suggest looking into finding a 2001 caravan 3rd row bench it has 3 top tether anchors and 2 out board (or 1 centre) UAS.

Ages/weight and current seats will help me offer better suggestions and configureations.

starlamay

Thanks Ladies! I really need them all ff. Here are ages and weights:
7 year old 43lbs
4 year old 35lbs
2.5 year old 28 lbs
those weights are scetchy as my scale is broken so i'm going on the last weigh in.

Can you get latches installed? This is the only thing stressing me out about possibly having twins!!

I'm from Canada and I've searched and searched for this radian seat on canadian sites and can't find it anywhere!!! arrrggg!!

right now my back row only has one tether. it hasn't been a problem until now because my oldest is in a booster.

Edit: just found a site that ships the seats to canada! But there is no way for me to try them out before buying them, this makes me very nervous!!

Last edited:

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
Where in Canada are you? We may have a Tech close to you.

I also have a 2002 Caravan. They will install 1 tether for you, but I decided to buy a 2001 Caravan 3rd row. It has 3 top tether anchors and 2 sets of UAS/LATCH. You can find them at the "Junk Yard", Craigslist or Kijjijji.

If you are having twins I would set up like this:

Driver _________________Passenger

2yo___________________Newborn

4yo____Newborn_____ 7yr old

This way you can flip either seat to access the 3rd row. If you put a Radian, Chicco KeyFit in the 3rd row, that should give you plenty of space for a booster for the 7yo. Just remember to install with seat belt, and move the Radian as close to the edge of the seat as you can, followed by the KeyFit , then there should be room for a child to buckle a booster.

Here are a few Canadian Sites that sell the Radian:

http://www.snugglebugz.ca/home.php?cat=911

http://www.babyproofingplus.com/viewCategory.php?category=28&p=2

Misty-Bug

where in Canada are you? There is also TJ's Kids and Baby's world. They are in BC.

I like the previous suggestion of one infant in the back and one center. You cannot get UAS installed. You can get the top tether installed. I like the idea of getting a 2001 bench seat too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC