Look What I Did!!! 3 RF in a Liberty :D

Chely7425

So, I have been trying to figure out if there is a way to turn my 2 year old back around now that we have a seat with a higher RF limit... and I didn't think I could actually fit everything but I did!! I am not sure how I feel about my install job with the middle seat (it is solid, but the way the middle belt locks weirds me out) but I am hoping to be able to get a tech to help me at some point. Anyway... just for the record 3 RF across a 2010 Jeep Liberty is possible AND without a radian!! I did the whole install the middle, then install the outer 2, then take the middle out thing to check for individual installs. (and yes, I know the aftermarket strap covers need to come off... DH put them on the other day because the straps were cutting into the kids necks since they were shirtless)

CIMG3328.jpg

CIMG3327.jpg

ADS

Pixels

Looks pretty good! I'm glad you got comfortable enough with the idea of the lightweight locking latchplate in the center to try something other than the infant seat there. Are the carseats touching the front seats?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Very nice! You should be proud of yourself! How does the middle seat belt lock? Is it at the latch plate? My mom has a Liberty, but I don't know if I've ever installed any seats in the middle. How thick are the strap covers? If you need to use something, you can cut the ends off of toddler socks and slip them over the straps, nice & thin & does the trick. :thumbsup:

ETA: I'm slower than Pixels, lightweight locking latchplates, got it!

Chely7425

Looks pretty good! I'm glad you got comfortable enough with the idea of the lightweight locking latchplate in the center to try something other than the infant seat there. Are the carseats touching the front seats?

I hate the stupid lightweight locking latchplate...

and nope, no touching! The CA actually fits perfect in the middle because of how the sides curve up, and there is about an inch between the Scenera and the passengers side. Now to see if my 2 year old throws a horrible horrible hissy fit about being RF again!

Chely7425

Very nice! You should be proud of yourself! How does the middle seat belt lock? Is it at the latch plate? My mom has a Liberty, but I don't know if I've ever installed any seats in the middle. How thick are the strap covers? If you need to use something, you can cut the ends off of toddler socks and slip them over the straps, nice & thin & does the trick. :thumbsup:

The strap covers really aren't that thick... like if I take them off after the harness is buckled the harness is still the right tightness. And thank you for the tips on the toddler socks!! My mom also suggested using baby wash clothes and just basting the ends together once they are folded over the straps..

And yeah, the middle seat belt locks at the latch plate. And I hate it. It doesn't seems right to me, but everything people have told me and that I have read said it is and the seat doesn't move so...

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
The strap covers really aren't that thick... like if I take them off after the harness is buckled the harness is still the right tightness. And thank you for the tips on the toddler socks!! My mom also suggested using baby wash clothes and just basting the ends together once they are folded over the straps..

Ummm, yeah, I have aftermarket strap covers on G's SR35 (not the same ones that you have). :eek: They're so thin, thinner than fleece. It's a parental decision that I'm comfortable with, but I still recommend the sock thing to other people. Do as I say, not as I do, I guess. :p

I :love: lightweight locking latchplates, seriously :love: them. Maybe eventually you'll decide you do too.

Chely7425

Ummm, yeah, I have aftermarket strap covers on G's SR35 (not the same ones that you have). :eek: They're so thin, thinner than fleece. It's a parental decision that I'm comfortable with, but I still recommend the sock thing to other people. Do as I say, not as I do I guess. :p

I :love: lightweight locking latchplates, seriously :love: them. Maybe eventually you'll decide you do too.

Yeah, my kids have SUPER sensitive skin and the straps rubbing their necks gives them welts, we kinda put them on and off as needed by their clothing :D Maybe I will learn to love locking latchplates... maybe!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Congratulations! Awesome job!

And I LOVED my locking latchplates in my van so much, once I realized I had them (after years of thinking my belts didn't lock and using locking clips! Thank you for setting me straight, c-s.org!) Of course my Pilot belts all lock at the retractor, but the odd occasion when I get to use a latchplate I am soooo happy... I wish LATCH was that easy, lol.

Chely7425

Congratulations! Awesome job!

And I LOVED my locking latchplates in my van so much, once I realized I had them (after years of thinking my belts didn't lock and using locking clips! Thank you for setting me straight, c-s.org!) Of course my Pilot belts all lock at the retractor, but the odd occasion when I get to use a latchplate I am soooo happy... I wish LATCH was that easy, lol.

Thanks :D I've never installed with the seat belt before this current 3 across adventure so it has been a bit of a learning experience!

Pixels

Maybe it would help if I explain a bit about how a lightweight locking latchplate (LWLLP) works? The LWLLP holds the lap portion of the belt tight, which holds the carseat in the proper position, before a crash. In a crash, the LWLLP *might* break (not come unbuckled, but the lightweight locking part might stop locking), but at the same time, the shoulder belt will lock, just like it would for an adult. The seatbelt stays the same length, and the carseat is held properly in place.

Chely7425

Maybe it would help if I explain a bit about how a lightweight locking latchplate (LWLLP) works? The LWLLP holds the lap portion of the belt tight, which holds the carseat in the proper position, before a crash. In a crash, the LWLLP *might* break (not come unbuckled, but the lightweight locking part might stop locking), but at the same time, the shoulder belt will lock, just like it would for an adult. The seatbelt stays the same length, and the carseat is held properly in place.

That actually helps a TON!! Thank you so much... I totally didn't understand how they worked so they just kind of freaked me out :D

And yes, I am glad I got it all to work!! Can't wait to get the van still though... Trevor (my 2 year old, in the CA) has so little leg room in that seat and Trenton (1 year old in the Scenera) is not a huge fan of that seat in general.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC