This is why I became a tech

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
I've been working with a mom who has two boys. 33lb 3.5yr old & 19lb 1yr old. A month ago I did a spiel to my mom's club. She was really receptive to what I had to say and wanted me to check her seats. I did and the 3.5yr old was in a hbb and the baby was in an infant seat with a 20lb weight limit. At that time I told her the oldest should still be harnessed and she should look for a convertible seat for the baby. I helped her reinstall the infant seat because it was very loose. I told her how the straps should be and gave her a booklet.

I met back up with her today. She actually turned her oldest rf in a AOE and had the baby in a rf t-shield seat that expired two years ago. They were going out of town today. I told her she couldn't use t-shield seat anymore and she had to get a new seat for him right now. The straps on both kids seats were tangled and loose. I reminded her of the straps again.

When I got home I remembered that I had a ff seat that I got free from the last car seat check up event because it was 2 years old. The lady was giving them away, so I took one. Luckily I did. I called that mom up and said I have a plan.

The oldest went tethered ff and the baby went rf in the AOE. She kept saying she was being an inconvenience and I didn't need to help her. I told her I love helping people and it's no big deal.

I'm so happy she wanted to rf her oldest again. Unfortunately it didn't work for her situation. Now if she only pays attention the straps. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ADS

TerisBoys

I'm so happy she wanted to rf her oldest again. Unfortunately it didn't work for her situation. Now if she only pays attention the straps.

But maybe the seed has been planted, and after she gets back from out of town she'll figure out a way to acquire a different seat for either the 3yo or the baby and have them both RF again. Regardless, they're safer than they were before you met them. In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with the 3.5yo FF in a properly installed, tethered seat.

Katy

I'm so glad there are tech's like you. I shudder to think about how things would be with no tech's around. When I get the money and babysitter I plan on becoming a tech. Right now I'm just soaking up all the information I can on here! It wasn't very long ago I'd never heard of ERF, and all those carseat rules. I'm so glad I found you all here!! It's just scary how many kids (before I had kids) that rode in my car unsafe. I thought what I was doing was safer than the parents but it turned out that it was just as dangerous.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC