daycare's seats

mayamac

DD goes on field trips with daycare. I rode with them on the bus last time (my seat had just a lap belt). the bus is equiped with what the teacher calls "booster seats" these came with the bus. It has a booster on the bottom, then it straps in with a 5 pt harness then you can tighten the harness by pulling up on the harness strap tails on either side of the kids' hips. These looked good to me. But I noticed that a section of the bus had car seats installed. I figured these where those kids' own seats, but then I heard that because a larger girl joined the group later and needed a ride back to school- my dd was the smallest in a booster, so she was moved to a "car seat" so the bigger girl could have a "booster"

I didn't really look at the seats, but they seemed old to me. I asked the teacher about the seats and she said they were all checked out and approved by the director. I'm feeling not so sure about this.

As I was leaving daycare today i noticed these seats out front and tried to see a DOM, but could not find it. Anyone know these seats and where the DOM would be located?

You do not need to sign in to see the pictures.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll288/christysmail0/daycare seats/0722100857a.jpg

0722100858a.jpg

0722100857a.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

monstah

The Century is expired. They stopped making them long enough ago that they are expired. I have to bet the Alpha Omega probably has an 8 year expiration but you need the model # & date of manufacture to find out if it's expired. The top harness slot on that seat can not be used in harness mode since it isn't reinforced. (Confusing, but the top slot is for booster mode only after you remove the harness.)
Are they top tethered in the bus?

all together ooky

Your second link worked for me (the kodak gallery). The snapfish one it wanted a password. The best way to show photos (in my experience) is either use photobucket or attach it directly from your computer (Go Advanced and then Insert Image)

Wiggles

I'm pretty sure, like PP said, that Centuries are all expired now. That looks like a Breverra Metro, Premiere or Transit which was last made in 2002. It's DEFINITELY expired. The Alpha Omega could be as old as 1999, according to the pictorial and it just LOOKS older to me. I'd definitely talk to the director about getting those seats replaced asap!

monstah

The short of it is that those seat are not safe to use by anyone.

Well, the century is not safe, period. The Alpha Omega (AO) is probably unsafe. If the AO was purchased brand new, has never been mishandled (thrown around or repeatedly dropped) the harness straps have never been washed and it is installed correctly, it might be OK. But if you answer "no" or "I don't know" to any of these questions, it is unsafe.
(The harness has a 40 pound limit and it is very low since you can't use the top slot with the harness. The harness can't be used if the childs shoulders go over the last reinforced slot.)

I'm sure you know most of what I just typed, it's mostly there for lurkers. ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had that same Century for my now-almost-13yo when he was barely 1.
The AO looks like it could be old enough that it's the pre-puzzle-buckle model (they used to not have puzzle buckles, then they did, back in 2004ish, now they don't again).
And a shield booster without the shield, though they did sell that model as a shieldless booster for a bit, but not since 2003 or 04.

monstah

Off topic, but did you black out a kids face from a brochure? :p

ETA: Now I realize they may be pictures from the daycare. I understand that. ;)

mayamac

I had that same Century for my now-almost-13yo when he was barely 1.
The AO looks like it could be old enough that it's the pre-puzzle-buckle model (they used to not have puzzle buckles, then they did, back in 2004ish, now they don't again).
And a shield booster without the shield, though they did sell that model as a shieldless booster for a bit, but not since 2003 or 04.

huh? pre-puzzle-buckle? shield booster?

wanna come check out the bus with me? :whistle:

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
That AO is expired. That is the OLD style chest clip that they actually replaced for free about 5-6 years ago. For sure they should replace all of those seats and NEVER use them again.

TerisBoys

Josh had the Cosco backless with that cover. Purchased when he was 2 (before I knew better). He's 14.5 now.

And to echo the others - the other two are way expired too. That's one of the original A/O covers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC