Britax Regent or SafeGuard Child Seat in Toyota Corolla 4-dr sedan???

lvmchld

Do you have a Britax Regent or a SafeGuard Child Seat installed in a Toyota Corolla 4-door sedan? Do you know anyone who does? Have you ever seen it? Any idea whether it is possible without compromising safety? I know they are very big seats, and it is a small car. Any other experiences (good or bad) with large seats in small cars?
I appreciate your time and advice! :)
Thank you. :)

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I think the Regent would work fine! There are folks on here with this seat in small cars. I don't own either a Regent or a Safeguard, but tried them out. My only concern would be the height of the Safeguard when fully extended. Here's a photo for comparison (that's a Radian in the middle - have you considered that seat?):

361929080_5f6525594e_m.jpg

Maybe someone has the Safeguard in a small car and will respond as well :)

ETA: We tried the Safeguard in a Subaru Outback and it would not fit with the back extended b/c of the slant of the windows... If your car doesn't have that, then it may fit just fine.

You can check out more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/99539616@N00/sets/72157594479632713/detail

Last edited:

wondering1

The Britax Husky and Regent are the same seat. I looked at (Carseat Data website closed - link broken) and found the 2003 Toyota Corolla with a center and an outboard Husky - both successful installs. Do you have tether anchor points installed? What model year?

Dillipop

We currently have a safeguard installed in our 05 elantra outboard with latch (haven't actually tried seatbelt, since latch on this seat is soooooo easy!) We have also installed our husky successfully outboard with both latch and seatbelt. The radian is a trickier install in our car and works great with latch, but is tough with seatbelt, but it does work.

carseatsandkids021.jpg

Don't know if this helps, but that is the safeguard behind the marathon in our elantra. I can try to get pics this weekend if you want them, after our snowstorm and rainstorms are over. HTH

lvmchld

Thank you all very much for replying! What a great forum. :)

AdventureMom: Yes, the height of the Safeguard when fully extended could be a problem... I have to take a good look at that window again. I wish I could try to install the car seat in my car before I buy it. But no store I checked out so far has them! :(
Thanks for the great picture! Yes, I did consider a Radian 80, but it only goes to max child height of 49", doesn't it? And Britax Regent only goes to 53", but the Safeguard goes to 57", so it's the most long-term car seat. Am I right? If you have a tall and skinny child like I do (33 lbs, 39", 3.5yo), anyway.
What does "ETA" stand for, please?
Thanks for the link to the other pictures. :) Like that child "43in/35lbs, 4yrs1mo" in a Safeguard and in a Regent seems to have a lot more room to grow "height-wise" in the Safeguard. Don't most children outgrow their car seats heigh-wise before weight-wise?

wondering1: I have used that great site you gave me a link to - thank you! - but there's not much info there for my car. I drive a 1993 Toyota Corolla 4-dr sedan. And, I am going to try to install a top tether anchor in it by myself (only possible in an outboard position, I'm afraid).

Dillipop: Thanks for the picture! Yes, please, if you could take more pictures of that Safeguard in an outboard position, I would appreciate it. Is it fully extended? Does it fit then? Is there a slant in your window? Is it a compact car or sub-compact or some other category (same as Toyota Corolla)? So, which of the three seats (Safeguard, Husky=Regent, Radian 80) is the most long-term?
"snowstorm and rainstorms", you say? Hope it's not too bad for you... Ours seem to be over for a while. :)

broken4u05

I have an 04 toyota corolla and i have fit the regent in the middle and outboard. and in the middle i can even fit a radian on each side of it. Never tried the safeguard

tiggercat

I've had a Husky in my 1994 Toyota Corolla, both in the center and outboard. Outboard install with long belt path, recline bar and tether was rock solid. The Center install was very good with long belt path, recline bar and tether, but then they changed the instructions to require short belt path with a lap only belt, and that install was merely "ok".

Let me find some pictures...
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a348/convocation/megan/?action=view&current=aug272005003.jpg
Husky far side, MA passenger side, about 6 inches of space between the two. Heh.
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a348/convocation/megan/?action=view&current=oct202005030crop.jpg
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=85554&cdate=20060414&ctime=155050

Apparently the last link takes you to the main page, the last 2 pics on that date show the Husky.

Edited again, here are some more I just uploaded. A couple of him in a booster then some in the Husky.
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=85554&cdate=20040901&ctime=095307
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=85554&cdate=20040904&ctime=133740

Dillipop

The safeguard will be the tallest when it is installed in the highest setting. I find it goes taller than my headrests, whereas the regent does not. The regent will last you longest since it has the highest top slots. It has 20-21 inch slots, whereas the safeguard is about 19 and the radian is about 18. The radian 65 is the exact same seat as the radian 80, with different weight limits. If you decide on the radian, save yourself the $100 and just get the 65. It is likely your child will outgrow the radians before he hits 65 pounds so the 80 isn't worth it.

If I were to choose a seat for your car, I would do the regent. It is large, yes, but it fits well in most cars. It is really easy to install in most cars with the seatbelt, too.

The safeguards best feature is it's latch installation and since you can't use that, it may not be worth it. I had a much harder time trying to get a good install in my buick with it with belts. It was an acceptable install, but not rock the car solid. The latch install in the elantra literally takes 10 seconds and rocks the car. Without a car with latch to use it in, I would be hesitant to spend $400+ on it.

November055.jpg

DS in the safeguard at 3.5, 38 pounds and 40 inches

November057.jpg

Room to grow on that same day. See the white from the foam? I am guessing he has about 3-4 inches in the torso for growth.

lvmchld

Mouse and/or keyboard problem... :( Have to reply separately to everyone.

broken4u05: Thank you. :) Did you try the Regent and Radian fully extended in the outboard? No problem? Not too high? In the middle, do you have a top tether anchor? Or, do you install the Regent with the lap belt only? Thanks. :)

lvmchld

tiggercat: Thank you. :) So, you DO have a top tether anchor in the middle but Toyota does not let you use it??? Thanks for the links to great pictures. :) The boy looks really comfortable in his Husky. It's a very wide seat, isn't it? Lots of room to grow. It's nice that he can cross his legs like this in it.
I looked carefully again, and I see that the MA is also in an outboard position, right? I thought at first that it was in the middle. So, the Husky takes up the whole outboard position and about half of the middle seat, right? Thank you again. :)

lvmchld

Dillipop: Thank you. :)

Yes, Regent has the highest slots (elitecarseats.com says it's 20") but it is rated till 53" for child maximum height, whereas the Safeguard measures 19" and 57", respectively, and Radian, 18" and 49".
So, I'm confused here...

How can the Regent have higher slots but go only up to 53" and not 57" like the Safeguard which has lower slots???

You're absolutely right about the Radian, if I were to get it, I would also buy just the 65 and not 80. But, it has only 18" slots and 49" max height, so I'm not getting it.
My dd is 33lbs, (3.5yo, 39") so, at her current weight gain rate, she should have another 2-3 years! in her Roundabout (up to 40lbs). But, her shoulders are already ABOVE the highest slots! :( So, is she so "atypical" or did they design this seat wrong??? I don't get it.

Thank you very much for your comments about LATCH installation and the Safeguard. You're right, I don't have LATCH, so I would have to use just the seat belt and a top tether. Of course, the more solid the install, the better, in any way. The best feature in the Safeguard, I think, is its high maximum height (57") and the side impact protection, which the Regent is missing. I would really like to have sip for her, especially in an outboard position, and in a small car like mine... Is there a lot of side-to-side head movement in the Regent? And, can he lean his head on anything to, say, take a nap? Thank you for the pictures. :)

Also, how does the crotch strap compare between the Regent and the Safeguard? Which one adjusts more and grows with the child better?

All these car seats are very expensive, but I'd rather spend 430 once than 270 twice, if I need to replace it sooner... Oh, I'm so confused...!

Thank you again. :)

tiggercat

tiggercat: Thank you. :) So, you DO have a top tether anchor in the middle but Toyota does not let you use it???

I don't know who told you that you couldn't have a tether anchor in the middle position, but we had the predrilled holes for the anchors in all three rear seating positions, and had our mechanic order the parts and install them for us. Maybe you could have someone check the LATCh manual for you?

I looked carefully again, and I see that the MA is also in an outboard position, right? I thought at first that it was in the middle. So, the Husky takes up the whole outboard position and about half of the middle seat, right? Thank you again. :)

Yes, the MA is outboard. The Husky took up almost half of the back seat.

Edited to add, it was Britax that changed their instructions to require the short belt path installation with the recline bar and tether for a lap belt only installation. The Center install under those conditions was not great.

Natalie

arly1983

Yes, Regent has the highest slots (elitecarseats.com says it's 20") but it is rated till 53" for child maximum height, whereas the Safeguard measures 19" and 57", respectively, and Radian, 18" and 49".
So, I'm confused here...

How can the Regent have higher slots but go only up to 53" and not 57" like the Safeguard which has lower slots???

The max height is an approximation by the manufacturer. If you would like to verify that, call Britax, they have awesome customer service. So the regent, with the taller slots, would fit the longest. Your child will fit the regent until the shoulders are above the top slots or she weights more that 80 lbs.

Dillipop

There were so many questions that I answered with in your quote. My answers are bolded for you.

Your welcome! And I will try to get you pics of the safeguard in the elantra tomorrow if it's not raining. Depending on the weather, I can also try to install the husky so you can see a side by side comparison in the car.

So, I'm confused here...

Height limits are not absolute. When the manufacturer states a height limit, it is a "guess" on how tall a child can be. What is really important is the child's torso length. A seat is outgrown when a child's shoulder go over the top harness slot. So a seat with higher slots will last longer than one with lower slots no matter how tall the stated overall height limit is.

You're absolutely right about the Radian, if I were to get it, I would also buy just the 65 and not 80. But, it has only 18" slots and 49" max height, so I'm not getting it.

This is a great seat and will probably get your dd at least another 3 years out of it if she is just outgrowing the radian. However, it looks like you want her harnessed longer and that's great!

My dd is 33lbs, (3.5yo, 39") so, at her current weight gain rate, she should have another 2-3 years! in her Roundabout (up to 40lbs). But, her shoulders are already ABOVE the highest slots! :( So, is she so "atypical" or did they design this seat wrong??? I don't get it.

Most seats are outgrown by height before weight by most children. Most children will need at least 16 inch top slots to get to 40 pounds in a seat. Some more, some less. Unfortunately, most 40 pound convertible seats have lower than 16 inch top slots and the majority of children outgrow these before 40 pounds. Most combination seats (those that convert to a booster) have 16-17 inch top slots and will get most kids to 40 pounds. So, it is not just your dd that is outgrowing these seats by torso length/height early. My son would have outgrown the roundabout around 35 pounds and a little over 3. He still has 3 inches in the radian, 4ish in the safeguard and 5 in the regent.

Thank you very much for your comments about LATCH installation and the Safeguard. You're right, I don't have LATCH, so I would have to use just the seat belt and a top tether. Of course, the more solid the install, the better, in any way. The best feature in the Safeguard, I think, is its high maximum height (57") and the side impact protection, which the Regent is missing. I would really like to have sip for her, especially in an outboard position, and in a small car like mine... Is there a lot of side-to-side head movement in the Regent? And, can he lean his head on anything to, say, take a nap? Thank you for the pictures. :)

Any 5 point harness will provide good side impact protection by keeping the child in place and not flying towards the side of the car. The regent has EPS foam just like the safeguard. The regent in itself is so wide that it provides its own protection outboard just by being large. Ds has napped in his husky with no problems. He just leans to the side or puts his hands behind his head. No complaints yet. He loves both seats and I have no problem putting either outboard and feeling that he will be safe in a side impact.

Also, how does the crotch strap compare between the Regent and the Safeguard? Which one adjusts more and grows with the child better?

The safeguard strap is fixed. The regent has 2 positions. The nearest position must be used for a child under 50 and the inner or outer can be used for a child over 50. The regents strap definitely gives more room in the crotch than the safeguard, even on its nearest setting. Both have been comfortable for my DS.

All these car seats are very expensive, but I'd rather spend 430 once than 270 twice, if I need to replace it sooner... Oh, I'm so confused...!

If you want to keep her harnessed as long as possible, the regent is definitely the way to go. It really does last a child longer even if it's stated height limits are lower than the safeguards. It really depends on the torso height. Always remember, weight limits are absolute, height limits are more of an estimate. If your child's shoulder has gone over the top slot, the seat is outgrown, whether she is 5 inches shorter or taller than the stated limit.

Thank you again. :)

No problem! HTH and let us know what your final decision is!

lvmchld

tiggercat: Thank you. :)

I called the main customer service at Toyota, and a gentelman there told me that there are only pre-drilled holes in the two outboard positions and not in the center of my car. So, I could NOT use a top tether in the rear center seat, he said very clearly. :(

I looked in the trunk and found 3 (three!) weld nuts, one behind each rear seat, but only the two outboard ones have ARROWS (etched in the metal) pointing to them; the middle one does not have an arrow. So, does this mean that you cannot use the middle nut? I have no idea. That's why I asked you about it.

I wish I had that LATCH manual, but I don't. Is it online somewhere, you think?

Thanks again! :)

lvmchld

arly1983: Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. :)

I see now that I have been putting too much emphasis on that 57" in the Safeguard. It is simply the maximum height of the slots that determines how long my dd would use the car seat, since, I'm pretty sure, she will not "balloon" all of a sudden to over 80lbs...

Thanks again! :)

lvmchld

Dillipop: WOW! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! YOU ARE MORE THAN HELPFUL AND MORE THAN KIND TO ANSWER MY EVERY QUESTION! :) :) :)

"I will try to get you pics of the safeguard in the elantra tomorrow if it's not raining. Depending on the weather, I can also try to install the husky so you can see a side by side comparison in the car."

AGAIN: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! HOPE THE WEATHER IS PERFECT FOR YOU TOMORROW! :) YOU ARE VERY KIND, INDEED. :)

"Height limits are not absolute. When the manufacturer states a height limit, it is a "guess" on how tall a child can be. What is really important is the child's torso length. A seat is outgrown when a child's shoulder go over the top harness slot. So a seat with higher slots will last longer than one with lower slots no matter how tall the stated overall height limit is."

THAT IS CRYSTAL CLEAR TO ME, FINALLY! :) TOO BAD MY DD IS SLEEPING RIGHT NOW; I CAN'T WAIT TO MEASURE HER TORSO LENGTH...

"it looks like you want her harnessed longer and that's great!"

THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT! :) HARNESSED AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. AFTER THE YOUTUBE VIDEO, TOO, LIKE FOR THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE, I'M SURE...

"it is not just your dd that is outgrowing these seats by torso length/height early."

I'M SO GLAD; IT SOUNDS LIKE A NORMAL TREND FOR MOST CHILDREN. SO, WHY DON'T THEY MAKE HIGHER SLOTS IN THOSE CARSEETS?

"He still has 3 inches in the radian, 4ish in the safeguard and 5 in the regent."

SO, HE'LL USE HIS REGENT THE LONGEST.

"Any 5 point harness will provide good side impact protection by keeping the child in place and not flying towards the side of the car. The regent has EPS foam just like the safeguard. The regent in itself is so wide that it provides its own protection outboard just by being large. Ds has napped in his husky with no problems. He just leans to the side or puts his hands behind his head. No complaints yet. He loves both seats and I have no problem putting either outboard and feeling that he will be safe in a side impact."

AGAIN, VERY CLEAR. THANKS.

"The regents strap definitely gives more room in the crotch than the safeguard, even on its nearest setting."

ANOTHER BIG PLUS FOR THE REGENT...

"If you want to keep her harnessed as long as possible, the regent is definitely the way to go. It really does last a child longer even if it's stated height limits are lower than the safeguards."

YES, I THINK WE'LL GET THE REGENT... IF IT FITS IN OUR CAR IN THE OUTBOARD SEAT, THAT IS...

MAY I ASK YOU FOR ANOTHER FAVOR, PLEASE? WOULD YOU, PLEASE, MEASURE THE REGENT'S HEIGHT OF ITS BACK, (I KNOW IT'S 30" BUT MAYBE THAT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BACK?), RIGHT ON THE SIDE THAT WOULD BE THE CLOSEST TO THE CAR'S WINDOW AND DOOR, PLEASE? I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THAT SLANTED WINDOW WILL NOT BE IN THE WAY. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH! :):):)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
There was a thread not too long ago about Regent measurements. Maybe this will help (if you want to read the whole post, here's the link but hopefully the reply below will answer your question):

It's 30 inches high, measuring from the vehicle seat bight up to the highest point of the seat shell. The seat depth/footprint from vehicle seat bight to the front of the seat (where a child's knees would bend) measures about 16-17 inches without the recline bar, about 19 inches with the recline bar.

Measurements you didn't ask for, but might be handy to have:

The widest point of the Regent is the "wings", the width at that point is about 21.5 inches (or, about 2 inches wider than a Marathon).

However, the part of the Regent that fits between the seatbelt anchors is only about 17 inches wide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC