Question I have a really serious favor to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I talked to my friend that loaned me the Costco combo seat, and she said that it was manufactured bought the seat November 2007. So does that mean that it is not expired??

2. I took the straps out of the seat to wash the cover, and now they won't tighten the right way.

So is it possible for:
a. someone close could come to my house next weekend and help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Can you take some pictures of the seat and how you re-threaded the harness? Maybe someone could help you get it back together correctly if they are familiar with it.
Also if there is not a date of manufacture or expiration on the seat and you are just going based on her word that it was bought in 2007 there is no way to know it's not expired. If it was bought new in 2007 it was likely manufactured in 2006 so it would not yet be expired.

JerseyGirl'sMama

Sorry I live nowhere near Nebraska. :(

Take the seat and look all over the back of the shell. You should see an imprint in the plastic shell that says 'do not use past x date.'

So you just washed the cover and not the straps? If you washed the harness straps too, then you absolutely cannot use them again.

Can you take detailed pictures so we can try to walk you through this online? Or even take a video and post it to Photobucket (or a similar site) so we can see what is happening?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It does not look like that seat fits him: it looks like the straps are coming from below his shoulders. Even if you can rethread the harness, it may not be safe to use.

Was the seat purchased NEW in 2007? Can you find the date of manufacture on the seat?

As a caregiver, it is a huge liability to put the child in a seat with an unknown history. He would be safer in one of the backless boosters than an outgrown unknown-history seat.

1. The seat was purchased brand new
2. I did not wash the straps
3. he is asleep and his head is slumping, he is right below the straps
4. he is all legs and no torso

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. Cosco combo seats have a single harness strap that runs from one side down under the seat and up the other side out to through the back.

I understand you're his caregiver and are doing your best to make him safe in your vehicle. Kudos to you! If you can't get the harness to go back on the seat correctly (you should be able to enter the model number and date of manufacturer here: http://www.coscojuvenile.com/usa/eng/Instructions or call them at 800-544-1108), then either take the harness off entirely and use it as a booster or look at the Harmony Literider backless booster at Wal-Mart. The Literider is $13.50 and has a min. weight limit of 30 lbs. While it's not best practice to stick such a young child into a backless booster, it may be *your* best option.

If the Literider isn't an option for you, ask around at Safe Kids offices or police/highway patrol offices to see if they have program seats available. Generally, though, you have to be the child's parent to qualify for a seat. It's not appropriate to ask for a seat on our forums.

Reactions: Mae

Mae

I thought he was 40 lbs.

:yeahthat:

From your thread a couple weeks ago:

But he is still 40lbs even

Like MurphyDog77 said, you can get instructions from the manufacturer. Until then, you're probably safer to use the seat as a booster if you don't think the seat is put back together properly. Under no circumstances should you use the seat (as a harnessed seat) unless you know it's put together 100% properly. Like your other thread repeatedly stated, if he is 40lbs, you cannot use the seat as a harnessed seat. You can use it as a booster only.

Cognito*

Your signature says he's in booster mode & you said he was 40lbs before. I'm confused. Can you post some pictures of the seat?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Can you take some pictures of the seat and how you re-threaded the harness? Maybe someone could help you get it back together correctly if they are familiar with it.

Your signature says he's in booster mode & you said he was 40lbs before. I'm confused. Can you post some pictures of the seat?

Here is the pic she put in another thread:

the sticker is gone.

Heres the seat though.

14azd04.jpg

2m3iaus.jpg

From here:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=131937

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Whoa... I don't think I'd use that seat. I wouldn't take someone's word that that seat is only three years old; I'm almost certain it's way older than that.

As much as I'd like to see a child his age and size harnessed, I'd like way more to see him safe. If a literider is all that's in the budget, that will keep him safer than a seat with a questionable history.

If I was in the area, I'd gladly come check the seat for you, but I'm way far away :(

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
And it should be the PARENTS who make the hard calls, anyhow. As the caregiver, if they ask you to do something illegal or unsafe you can (and should!) refuse, but you need to let them decide about harness vs. poor booster fit vs. backless booster.

Cognito*

Thanks for linking the old thread. I remember it now.
I wouldn't use the seat either. It is a used seat with no stickers, no stamped info, an unclear history, no way to check for recall info & outgrown.
Will his parents leave one of his boosters with you? It shouldn't be a hassle since there is no install involved.

kidzndogz

That seat was NOT manufactured in 2007. Seriously, look at it. And if it was, it must have been through hell to look like that now.

He is also 40lbs. You cannot use the seat anyway, he is at the limit.

Same thing I said in your first thread....you CANNOT transport that child safely with what you have. He either needs a higher harness weight seat or a booster. If you cannot afford to get one or his parents are refusing to help you out, you CANNOT DRIVE THE CHILD AROUND.

Do you get paid to watch him? Is there any way you can start setting aside a small amount every time you get paid till you can get a cheap booster and just borrow the booster from his parents cars until then?

Reactions: Mae

Kaede's_Mom

If he is in a booster in his parent's car then they should leave the booster with you during the times you watch him. That would be far better then what he is ridding in now.

Maedze

A few weeks ago you told us he was 40 lbs and you were told you absolutely CANNOT use that seat in harnessed mode. You wanted to stretch it out to September and you were told 'no'. Has he lost weight, or were you mistaken about his weight before?

Keep in mind his weight for harnessing purposes must be fully dressed with shoes.

That seat was not manufactured in 2007. End of story. Trust us. There are decades worth of experience on this board (on this thread, actually), and we have dealt with thousands and thousands and thousands of seats.

InternationalMama

I read the other thread where you were clearly told the seat you are posting about was unsafe and could not be used. Why do you still want to use it? If the child's safety (or lack there of in that seat!) is not enough to convince you not to use that seat, perhaps you could think of it this way. Since you have been told in a very public forum that continuing to use that seat is unsafe and potentially fatal, not to mention illegal in many states with a proper use clause, you could potentially be held liable if you were in an accident and the boy was hurt. You could face criminal charges for negligence, endangerment or (depending on how severely he was injured) manslaughter. This is highly unlikely, but what is more likely since you are not the child's parent or guardian is that you could face a civil lawsuit and possibly be sued by the parents for knowingly endangering him.

If you cannot afford to buy him a seat and the parents will not lend you their backless boosters (or even better both the backless with the back they are not using) then you simply can't drive the child anywhere. Plenty of people without driver's licenses babysit kids and manage to survive it, so although it's not ideal, you can too. It's better than getting sued or having that weight on your conscience if something happened to him.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
All said in thread #1.

Yep, sorry. I had read the first thread, but only the beginning of it, and then this thread, and missed the intermediate. I've since gone back and read it, all the gaps are filled in.

Seems the answer is very simple here -- get a new seat, borrow a booster, don't drive. Or face the possibility of being responsible for what might happen to this child. As a caregiver, it's not a responsibility I'd want to face. (It's why I provide all of my own seats, regardless of the sacrifices I have to make to get them.)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Please don't think that was directed at you. It was about the situation. The OP that thinks something will change with another thread and leaving out important information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC