Gangs using car seats to target victims

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A friend just sent me an email with a warning: Gangs are placing blanket-covered infant seats by the side of the road, then waiting until someone (likely female) gets out to check on the "baby." Then they drag her away. Supposedly someone with the LA County Sheriff's Department confirmed it was true.

Sounded fishy to me so I Snoped it. It is NOT true: http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/carseat.asp

Sorry if this was mentioned before. I figure since this pertains to car seats and road safety we might see mention of it in the future.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
We have shoplifters use car seat w/ blanket, stroller w/ blanket, fake belly to steal. SO nice, yeah.

Maedze

LOL, what's funny to me is the number of people who read something like that and don't automatically assume it's a hoax.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I hid a bag of donuts under my shirt to sneak them into a movie once. An infant seat would have come in handy then.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just assumed from your title that thieves were targeting victims who have expensive brands of carseats... "Oh, look, dude, that's a Recaro, they must be rich and have a good stereo, let's break into that one!"

So they could invent the Scenera drop cloth... throw it over your Britax when parked so they think you just have that walmart carseat and aren't rich.

:)

kaleigh71

So they could invent the Scenera drop cloth... throw it over your Britax when parked so they think you just have that walmart carseat and aren't rich.

:)

They could just look at our vehicles and tell we aren't rich...but there are Recaros and Britaxes in them, lol.

monstah

LOL!

My POS 99 Plymouth Voyager was broken into and they took my (free) EZ Pass and (free) Sirius radio but left almost $2000 worth of car seats and strollers. :p

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I emailed my friend the snopes link. She wrote back insisting that her friend with LA sheriffs sent it to her. :rolleyes: I don't doubt that her friend sent it; I just doubt that her friend knows anything about it.

By the way, I'm totally loving the idea of gangbangers peering into cars and being like, "Yo! This one has a Blue Bouquet Regent!"

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
By the way, I'm totally loving the idea of gangbangers peering into cars and being like, "Yo! This one has a Blue Bouquet Regent!"

LOL, a girl I work with has one of these in her ancient Mazda sedan, and I said that, and she just smiled like, What in the heck are you talking about? I guess she didn't hear me, but more likely doesn't know the pattern name of her seat :whistle:

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
LOL!

My POS 99 Plymouth Voyager was broken into and they took my (free) EZ Pass and (free) Sirius radio but left almost $2000 worth of car seats and strollers. :p

We had our car broken into and they stole sunglasses, car phone charger and the car manual, but left the stroller, britax car seats, camera, sirius radio and all the change in the front console.

Shaunam

A couple of years ago someone broke into our '91 mazda protege, took our $50 stereo and left the $450 worth of car seats in the back. :rolleyes: Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad they left them, but seriously, people are dumb. For sure, you wouldn't look at my car and think there was anything worth taking. The car seats are the most expensive thing, and that's including the car, which my mom bought for $250 7 years ago! I think it's probably worth like $100 now. If that. LOL

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Someone broke into my cousin's car and DID take her Britax seat. We saw it in a vehicle in the WalMart parking lot. At least the perps had it installed rfing in the POS car. She had it ff in her highlander for her 11month old. (we knew it was her because of a distinct stain. Yes, we were looking that hard. She's from a po'dunct town so seeing a Britax was 1/1,000,000.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC